Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

How many times have we heard this about watches.

- The people who buy a Russian Diver are just insecure and need that big ole' Grandfather-Clock-On-A-Strap to get people to pay attention to the...it looks silly.

or

- People who buy a Rolex are insecure and feel the need to show off how much money they have...tacky looking.

Why the need to feel better about your watch by insulting others?

I will say that at times I have bought a watch because I thought "yep, people are gonna see that bad boy!!!

Then it occurred to me that I have watches that I actually like and enjoy all by myself. My watches dont get comments all that often, and when they do it has nothing to do with size or price. I have gotten a "thats a pretty watch" about a sub-hundred-dollar Pro Diver, a Russian Diver, G-Shock and a TAG...all different looks and price levels. Its nice to hear that somebody likes your watch...but no longer matters to me if anybody sees it or not.

When I am home alone and not even planning to go outside, I still like to take my watches, examine them, wear them and clean them up...makes me happy to admire and enjoy them when I am all alone in private...thats why I buy what I do, not to show off or get attention. My cheapest G-Shock on up to my TAG chrono and plenty of watches in-between...I just enjoy them for me.

My dads very favorite watch is his Omega Speedmaster...he could care less if anybody ever saw it. He just loves the watch, admires it and loves to watch it work...just watching the chrono hand sweep around the dial and knowing the amount of work that went into making that particular watch what it is makes him happy. He does not care if anybody else knows about it.

So, do you but a watch for you? For attention? Do you think people who have a less expensive watch should get with the program and "get a real watch"...do you really think everybody with a Rolex is a "pretentious snob who just wants to show off"?

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i got 2 for sale if you want a good deal just PM me!!!

:%:%:%

watchcollector1968 wrote:
- The people who buy a Russian Diver are just insecure and need that big ole' Grandfather-Clock-On-A-Strap to get people to pay attention to the...it looks silly.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I buy the watch for me. I do have certain pieces that I wear because they are conversation watches (see below). But I only bought it because i like it and wanted a skeleton in my collection.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I buy what I like because let's be honest most people could care less about watches. I very rarely have somesbody comment on my watches. Maybe it's because I have bad taste in watches Ha Ha LOL!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I HAVE NEVER ever bought a watch because I thought it would get me "attention". Honestly. I buy watches because I like them. If not one person ever said "nice watch" to me I would be fine.

Of course if someone does notice, great, but not needed.

I buy watches because I like them. That simple.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I buy a watch because I like it or my sife says i like that watch i think you should get it. if i get compliments on my watch then that's an added bonus.

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

I buy watches because I like them. But, folks I hang around with know I'm a watch guy and often times look to see what I'm wearing, and to be honest, it does have an affect on what I purchase. It's not about attention as much as it is about sharing my hobby with others.

Great post by the way.

Dingbat.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I like it when others take joy in seeing a timepiece that I am wearing.

However, that certainly NOT the reason I bought it.

I tend to buy for "what's inside". This doesn't always leave me with many "stunning" or "purdy" watches. :)

It feels kinda nice to have someone notice what watch I'm wearing. Especially if it turns into a conversation about watches. I can't recall, however, feeling disappointed because no one cared what watch I put on my wrist. :)

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Nope it is all about being insecure and needing attention, I crave it, I need it, I love it!!!

If that is ones reason for buying a watch I say seek medical attention!!!

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

If the watch catches my eye than that's good enough.

There are various reasons why I buy what I buy.

As far as comments. They're usually along the line of "Oh my God! Another watch? What are you crazy? You better stop! What if something happens and you need that money?"

:%Pick one.:%

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

I buy what I like. I have a few rolexes also. I never considered what others think when buying and wearing them.Of course I've seen afew car salesmen who would flash that replica rolex datejust.:whatever:pretty odd about that. Salesmen should wear a casio. if the potential buyer thinks you are sucessful enough to sport a rolex, thats not the saleman I want to negotiate with.:BE

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
I buy what I like. I have a few rolexes also. I never considered what others think when buying and wearing them.Of course I've seen afew car salesmen who would flash that replica rolex datejust.:whatever:pretty odd about that. Salesmen should wear a casio. if the potential buyer thinks you are sucessful enough to sport a rolex, thats not the saleman I want to negotiate with.:BE
Oh boy I would, more challenging then taking candy from a baby!!! Much more Satisfying then picking on a pup, I want the dog!

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

watchcollector1968 wrote:
How many times have we heard this about watches.

or

- People who buy a Rolex are insecure and feel the need to show off how much money they have...tacky looking.

Why the need to feel better about your watch by insulting others?

I will say that at times I have bought a watch because I thought "yep, people are gonna see that bad boy!!!

Then it occurred to me that I have watches that I actually like and enjoy all by myself. My watches dont get comments all that often, and when they do it has nothing to do with size or price. I have gotten a "thats a pretty watch" about a sub-hundred-dollar Pro Diver, a Russian Diver, G-Shock and a TAG...all different looks and price levels. Its nice to hear that somebody likes your watch...but no longer matters to me if anybody sees it or not.

When I am home alone and not even planning to go outside, I still like to take my watches, examine them, wear them and clean them up...makes me happy to admire and enjoy them when I am all alone in private...thats why I buy what I do, not to show off or get attention. My cheapest G-Shock on up to my TAG chrono and plenty of watches in-between...I just enjoy them for me.

My dads very favorite watch is his Omega Speedmaster...he could care less if anybody ever saw it. He just loves the watch, admires it and loves to watch it work...just watching the chrono hand sweep around the dial and knowing the amount of work that went into making that particular watch what it is makes him happy. He does not care if anybody else knows about it.

So, do you but a watch for you? For attention? Do you think people who have a less expensive watch should get with the program and "get a real watch"...do you really think everybody with a Rolex is a "pretentious snob who just wants to show off"?

When your golfing buddies make you stand in a hole so you don't tower over them when getting a picture taken in a golf tournament...the last thingyou worry about is drawing attention to yourself!!!

Uhhh..in case you haven't figured it out...I am the giant sized guy in the back!!!

My buddies are both about 5'8" and made me stand in a hole next to the top step on the tee box...and they stood on the step so the lady that was taking our picture could actually get me in it!!!

We were playing in my wifes' company golf outing....it was a four person scramble and one of our guys was sick...so we played with three.My buddie...who will remain nameless to protectthe innocent people who gothit by one of his errant tee shots....in the white shirt can't play golf worth a darn!!! So the two of us managed to shoot a 65 by ourselves. I also won a $100 Callaway Golf Gift card for the longest and straightest drive!!! 310 yards and exactly in the middle of the fairway!!!

So do I buy a watch for attention.....why bother...I stick out like a sore thumb no matter where I go!!! I buy them because I like the way they look!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.