Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Over the years, my father has given me so much of his knowledge and musical training, that it was time to give back. This watch showed up on a forum from Canada.Interesting story with this one.When it arrived, it was locked up.A quick trip to my watchmaker whos very old and has worked on these for years, had it fixed and timed while I waited.I sent this to my dad.He called and said it didn't work.????

He sent this back so I could look at it.

Well, back to the watchmaker.Same thing was wrong again, so this time it was serviced.I figured this watch didn't like to be shipped.:wf

I hadn't been home in years,So I decided to drive and hand deliver it.Sound easy huh? well not really.Trying to find my dad when hes working is a challenge.He builds pipe organs, so when looking for him in a church can take some time.I found him 3 stories up inside the organ at hill auditorium.If heights bothers you, this isn't the place to be.Anyways, it made the trip just fine and its now working great.

in case you ever wondered what the inside looks like of a pipe organ, heres some photos.

my dad at work.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Very nice watch indeed. If your dad services pipe organs I'm sure he will have a strong appreciation for what goes into one of these mechanical pocket watches. That is a cool gift. Thanks for sharing. He should come to Utah and service the pipe organ that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir uses. It is quite impressive to say the least.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Great pics and story. Really nice watch.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

My father is the pipe organ builder.He does do service calls when needed.He maintains the organ at the washington cathedral also. heres his shop. plenty of articles on the net about him.Hes built quite a few over the years.

·
Registered
49 Posts
imported post

WOW!! What a very interesting, unusual, and exciting occupation, pipe organ building! And the organs that your father builds and maintains are some of the largest and most famous in the world. I would imagine that there are a scarce number of people alive who are qualified, or even understand what it takes to build a pipe organ. These enormous and magnificent musical instruments have always been a fascination of mine, and I love the music that they produce. An astounding post, thank you so very much! One of the most interesting posts I have read anyplace.

And by the way, the pocketwatch is nice also. Congratulations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.