Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What are your recommendations for buffing and polishing stainless steel watches? I know you can get cape cod cloths and use a scotch brite pad on brushed ss. What about a dremel kit? What would be better? I would like to get some small scatches off my watches. TIA, Meow, kitten:)

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

i would not personally use a dremel unless you know what you are doing with it, you could damage the watch.........

for small scratches, marks , blemishes or desk diving marks, i use cape cod cloths for the high polish, and for satin or brushed finsih , i do not use the scothbrite pads, i feel they are a little too rough.........i use these satin refinishing pads from boston watch exchange that i get off ebay. they are $13.00 and ive used the same one for a year, and i just now have to purchase another. ive used them to remove scratches, and ive used them to brush high polish to a satin finish as well.................

if you have a watch that is really in bad shape, lots of nicks and scratches and needs a totol overhaul, i suggest you taking it to a watchmaker with the proper tools to refinsh the whole watch, .........if its just small stuff and a few here or there, it is very easy to do yourself with these cloths and pads.......they also make ones for titanium as well.........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Satin-Brushed-Refinish-Scratch-Removal-Pad-for-Ebel_W0QQitemZ160372041341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2556eb267d

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

i use a dremel tool to polish. Use the cotton bit with stainless steel rouge and it works for me, wished i would have tried it a year ago! Last year my Breitling superocean bracelet was looking old and worn out, found a new one for 400.00 bucks so i bought it and felt like a got a good deal. have always used cape cod for poilished area' and scotch-brite for brushed finishes! Anyway couple weeks ago had the old bracelet sitting in it's box and thought what the hell, i can do this! Well i did and now wished i saved the 4 bills on the new bracelet! Here is a couple shots of it after the job was complete, kick myself in the rear the not getting some before shots but didnt think it would come out in like new shape!!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

Trev, that bracelet looks perfect.......looks like brand new.....great skills there bro.........very good job.........at least you have two of them now, incase something happens to the other one!

·
Registered
864 Posts
imported post

Somebody likes them shiney, they look great! Most of mine i do just the opposite and brush the polished surface but i plain on selling the breitling bracelet and wanted it original! Awesome job on the polishing!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Cali kid wrote:
Somebody likes them shiney, they look great! Most of mine i do just the opposite and brush the polished surface but i plain on selling the breitling bracelet and wanted it original! Awesome job on the polishing!
Thanks Cali! Yeah, kinda like a monkey....I like shiny things LOL!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
imported post

Rainex was recommended as a great cleaner for watches.

I ran out and bought some but have never used it.

Any ideas on that ?

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

ive heard this about the rainx many times......from what i can tell, its not a good idea. i dont see the need to "clean" your watch with a chemical. if its dirty use soap and water, dry it , and buff it with a nice cloth, like the ones you get with the watches. that is all i do.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I would have to agree with Don; not sure that applying a chemical (RainX) in the long run is a great idea. Especially when it's not necessary, as Don mentioned soap and water works great. Also, never, never use paper towels to clean or dry your polished watch. It will scratch the living hell out of it.

Wright's Silver Cream is very nice; it's not abrasive and cleans and polishes SS, Silver very well. Available at most Target's, Walmart, etc.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I have only collected since july 23rd and havent had to polish any yet. but thank everyone for the info

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Great tips! I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I have a thing for clean watches. After I wear a watch I spray on eyeglass cleaner to clean the crystal than polish with an invicta cloth.Than I spray the inside and outside of the steel bracelet,than clean withan Invicta cloth. Is there a better cleaning spray than eyeglass cleaner? ....Bob

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I have polished hundreds of watches over the years. This includes $20 Timex watches up to $10K+ Rolex timepieces with 904L grade Stainless steel.

I have a dremel, many, many attachments, and a variety of polishes and rouges. I also use varying grades of sandpaper, steel wool, titanium finishing pads, and Bergeon refinishing blocks. I have several plastic polishing compounds as I am excellent at polishing plastic (acrylic) crystals.

I hesitate on giving general advise on polishing watches as I have seen this lead to damage (not from my advise, but from others). :(

All I can offer is this . . . if you have specific questions concerning specific metals, finishes, etc., I would be happy to answer.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Cape Cod Cloth.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts