Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Today I went to a local AD (my friend) to see and try on the Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph. I also went because the regional sales rep for Breitling was at the store for the big holiday weekend sales. I knew he was coming from my friend and wanted to hear the "pitch" directly from the Breitling rep and learn about the watch.

When I went to the store I purposely wore my silver and black all metal SAS, so I would be wearing another big heavy watch to the store and really get a nice look at how big this watch was next to it. To the credit of the Breitling rep, he not only commented positively on my SAS, he even took a look at it saying he had not seen the new models in person. Of course I knew he was being a good salesperson by not putting my watch down, but he also genuinely asked me questions about it and did not rush me through the answers. He tried my SAS on (removing the new Breitling Chronomat B01 he was wearing to let me see it) and said he really liked it. He even made a few positive Invicta comments and said they do a good job marketing to there customer base.

OK - enough about that. On to the Super Avenger. I can say that this is one of the nicest watches I have ever had on my wrist in my life. It is massive. It is very heavy, and it is beautiful. It is almost 49mm, but wears LARGER. It is very close to being as large as the SAS, while not as tall. The bracelet is heavy and equally as impressive as the SAS band.

That being said, this is the first time that I will openly admit that a watch IS worth the money being charged. This watch is typically for sale new between $3400-$5000. I learned about the Automatic COSC inside the watch, and how the chrono worked. I had my first full explaination about the "engine" (Breitling Caliber 13 (25 Jewels, 28,800vph), which I have to admit went a little bit over my head since he explained it very quickly. I leaned about how the watch is made, including the titanium case back to reduce the weight of the watch. This was funny to me since the watch IS very heavy.

I listened to the entire pitch and in the end I found myself with a new appreciation of THIS ONE MODEL from Breitling. For example the Breitling Chronomat B01 that the rep was wearing was also beautiful, but far to small (43mm) and light for my personal liking. I am sure it is a huge hit for them because it is a very good looking watch and everything that goes into a Breitling, but to me I was not "WOWed" by that model. I was impressed by the Super Avenger.

Here is a picture and some watch details.

Information below and image above from Gemnation.com

Item number: A1337011/A562
Brand: Breitling
Style Number: A1337011.A562-PRO2
Also Called: SUPER AVENGER, A1337011 A562
Series: Super Avenger
Style: Mens
Case: Stainless Steel - Brushed and Polished
Dial Color: White
Watch Bracelet / Strap: Stainless Steel Professional II Bracelet
Watch Clasp: Double-locking foldover
Movement: Automatic C.O.S.C.
Engine: Breitling Caliber 13 (25 Jewels, 28,800vph)
Functions: Hours, Minutes, Small Seconds, Chronograph, Date, 1/100hr scale
Watch Chronograph: 1/4 second chronograph sweep center hand, 30-minute counter at 12, 12-hour counter at 6.
Crystal: Sapphire Crystal - Scratch Resistant, Glareproofed both sides
Case Diameter: 48.4 mm
Case Thickness: 18.6 mm
Caseback: Titanium (reducing overall weight)
Bezel Material: Stainless Steel - Brushed
Bezel Function: Unidirectional Rotating
Mass: 271.0 g
Water Resistance: 300m / 1000ft (suitable for swimming, snorkeling, skin diving, diving)
Crown: Screw-down
Calendar: Automatic Date at 3 o'clock
Watch Bracelet Length: 8.5 inches
Watch Bracelet Width: 20.0 - 24.0 mm
Additional Info: SuperLuminova phosphorescent hands and mobile hour marker.

The Breitling Super Avenger is perhaps the most popular Breitling wristwatch. Its immense size and hefty mass of 271 grams (about 9.6 ounces and twice the weight of the average steel watch), make for a commanding statement by its wearer. Even the large chronograph push-buttons speak to its dominant look - they are finished on the surface in a criss-cross hobnail-like design.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/z4XFD_cHENk&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
Did the same a month ago James. It is an incredible freakin' watch!
Eric - I looked at literally every single Brietling, because the store my friend works at must have 50 different models and styles. Obviously there are many many nice Breitlings. There are also a few other larger models that compare nicely to the Super Avenger. But I have to be 100% honest when I say that I think the Super Avenger is THE nicest Breitling you can buy AND the price is not nearly as expensive as some of the other models. Comparatively to some of the other Breitling models it is considerably less. I tried on the all Stainless model with the white dial face shown in the post above and that was easily my personal favorite, BUT the other Super Avenger models and color combination were really nice also.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Yeah James, definitely a bargain compared to the Bentley models! I love the Super Avenger. I tried on the black dial version, which I have to say is my favorite. The all brushed bracelet is the hottest, imo.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Eric - I looked at literally every single Brietling, because the store my friend works at must have 50 different models and styles. Obviously there are many many nice Breitlings. There are also a few other larger models that compare nicely to the Super Avenger. But I have to be 100% honest when I say that I think the Super Avenger is THE nicest Breitling you can buy AND the price is not nearly as expensive as some of the other models. Comparatively to some of the other Breitling models it is considerably less. I tried on the all Stainless model with the white dial face shown in the post above and that was easily my personal favorite, BUT the other Super Avenger models and color combination were really nice also.
Interesting the difference in views, from 1 person too the next. I never found the watch too be heavy, I never found the watch to be Solid, and then it got the moisture under the crystal and I just got pissed and hated the watch from then on. At 271 grams and then sized it just didnt do it for me. I will say that it was balanced well, but never did much for me. I really dont know why, it just never floated my boat! I think it was I just expected so much more for what was spent! Would I own one if it was $1500.00 sure, but it isnt a $5K watch IMHO!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Interesting the difference in views, from 1 person too the next. I never found the watch too be heavy, I never found the watch to be Solid, and then it got the moisture under the crystal and I just got pissed and hated the watch from then on. At 271 grams and then sized it just didnt do it for me. I will say that it was balanced well, but never did much for me. I really dont know why, it just never floated my boat! I think it was I just expected so much more for what was spent! Would I own one if it was $1500.00 sure, but it isnt a $5K watch IMHO!!!
Ron, 2 questions
1) You did not think it was a heavy watch? Compared to what other watch? Sure my all metal SAS was heavier, but it is also a larger watch over all. So I found it heavy comparably to most all other watches.

2) how did moisture get under the crystal. I listened to over 30 minute about how the case was constructed to avoid that happening. When you had that problem what did your AD say/do?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
James I have to agree with you...I tried on all Breitling models and the one that did it for me was the Super Avenger...I love the watch and its very hard for me to purchase another watch that is equal or superior in all levels. I am glad you went to see the watch. The BO1 is nice because of the movement but I dont know if that will be enough for me to buy. Thanks for your review James..I knew you would love it...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

That is a good looking Breitling. What a big timepiece. Thanks for sharring James. It had to be fun to talk with the rep and try on the watch. ....Bob

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Very nice watch James. If I had the money I would definitely pick up the Breitling featured in this thread. I too think Breitling is worth what they ask. They look nice and they don't depreciate like other brands. I almost picked up a Breitling when I sold my Rolex a while back. IMHO they make one of the best watches on the market.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TV the watch compares in size to my SAN III and compared to it no I didnt find it heavy.

I washed my hands and it got moisture under the crystal, I took it too Sam and he shook his head and said I HAVE NO IDEA. He had to send it in and it took 9 weeks to get it back.

Like I said I was never overly impressed with the watch, now dont get me wrong it was a NIIIIIICE watch, but too me it was comp to a SAN III with a Val 7750 in it, and I sure as hell wouldnt give you $5K for one!!! It is a $1500 watch too me!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
James I have to agree with you...I tried on all Breitling models and the one that did it for me was the Super Avenger...I love the watch and its very hard for me to purchase another watch that is equal or superior in all levels. I am glad you went to see the watch. The BO1 is nice because of the movement but I dont know if that will be enough for me to buy. Thanks for your review James..I knew you would love it...
Jack - do you own this one? I think I have seen someone post a picture of it. If you do can you please repost your picture in this thread.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Bob wrote:
That is a good looking Breitling. What a big timepiece. Thanks for sharring James. It had to be fun to talk with the rep and try on the watch. ....Bob
It was a lot of fun and I got to listen to him talk to a lot of other customers there also, many who bought Brietlings on the spot. He knew a lot about his watches and seemed to be much more then just a sales person and clearly someone who had learned a lot about watches. He knew about Rolexs and many other high end brands and was able to address and compare companies when asked.

It really is a very different world of watches.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Jack - do you own this one? I think I have seen someone post a picture of it. If you do can you please repost your picture in this thread.
Yep sure do....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Yep sure do....

Here is another view...

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

oh yea - that is the one I had on today. So hot. Thanks for posting the pic.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
No problem at all...I truly love this watch James...When you have it on the wrist you know your wearing a quality watch...I get so many compliments with this watch its crazy...Here is a pic tonight with it on...Went to a wedding...wifey and me...

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:
No problem at all...I truly love this watch James...When you have it on the wrist you know your wearing a quality watch...I get so many compliments with this watch its crazy...Here is a pic tonight with it on...Went to a wedding...wifey and me...
She is a beauty for sure. The watch isn't bad looking either Ha Ha LOL!!!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Watch???

Nice p/u JP!! wink wink!:b

Jackprime1 wrote:
TVDinner wrote:

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Well there you Go the 45mm Ocean Reef with a Plastic G-10 weighs in at 312 grams vs the 48mm Breitling SA @ 271 grams. I guess thats what I was talking about TV.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I would own that Breitling in a heartbeat (if I could pry open my wallet, right now)! :)

Gorgeous watch!

That's probably the model I'll end up buying. However, I am still partial to the 46mm Navitimer Worldtimer GMT w/ blue dial. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.