Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the breitling slide rules are missing many important features that other watch slide rules have? It is of course virtually impossible to include ALL the functions found on an actual E6-B flight computer, but I've found that there are many functions I use on my citizen slide rules every day that are nowhere to be found on my navitimer....

·
Super Moderator
15,664 Posts
Actually did not notice this zkingan.😲 But it sounds like
you would know, having that Citizen, or Citizens of yours’. (y)
Still, you would think Breitling would have you, or all of us
covered in the slide rule department. ..Very interesting to
find out about !

Thank you very much for the insight, post, and also for
being here with us. Welcome aboard ! 😀

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought as well, but when I went to make a simple lbs.- kg. Conversion, I noticed that marking was not present on the navitimer like it is on my skyhawk. So I started looking further and found there are many differences between the two slide rules, and really I've found that the navitimer is only good for making a few simple distance/time calculations. The slide rule on all my citizen watches have more of what I use fairly often for flight planning (if I don't have my digital handy 🙃) but I'm a little dismayed that such a beautiful watch as the navitimer isn't more functional for pilots.

·
Super Moderator
15,664 Posts
That's what I thought as well, but when I went to make a simple lbs.- kg. Conversion, I noticed that marking was not present on the navitimer like it is on my skyhawk. So I started looking further and found there are many differences between the two slide rules, and really I've found that the navitimer is only good for making a few simple distance/time calculations. The slide rule on all my citizen watches have more of what I use fairly often for flight planning (if I don't have my digital handy 🙃) but I'm a little dismayed that such a beautiful watch as the navitimer isn't more functional for pilots.
I guess a lot of credit really has to be given to Citizen then zkingan. 🙂
They seem to have you covered in what you want, or more importantly
what you need with calculating things. (y)(y) But like you are saying,
it still is surprising to hear that Breitling wouldn't be THE best when
it comes to this. I mean maybe there are other models that are extra
detailed from them that may be more detailed. But I am not sure.

Have to give credit to Citizen though that's for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I wondered, maybe an older model? Or simply different model perhaps? I've been looking on their website but only the newest models pop up. Didn't know if anyone out there has ever seen a different slide rule on a breitling than the ones on the most current ones? I really love the craftsmanship and mechanical movement on my navitimer, and wondered why they don't pay more attention to one of the features that make this brand so iconic, especially to pilots!

·
Super Moderator
15,664 Posts
Am thinking there are a lot of people that feel the same way as you
zkingan. 😉(y) They might be pilots, or just fans of watches, and
maybe some of them actually have seen older models with more
detailed slide rules. And it could be that some of them are right here
at the forum. 🙂 Let's hope if they are, that they see this post, and
can shed some light either way.

This really is a fascinating topic !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts