Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those of you with pets, would you spend a great deal of money on vet procedures to save your furry friends ?...Almost any procedure that can be done for a human, can now be done to our four legged friends so, as you can imagine, it could become very costly.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

Of course! But if you are really worried about it, get pet insurance. It is relatively inexpensive and will defer a majority of the cost of most procedures. There are annual and lifetime maximums related to these policies, but IMHO it is well worth saving your cherished pet!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'd risk my life to save any one of my pets so, I really hope I never have to find out just how much I would be willing to spend to save it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

We have had pet dogs for the past 30 years. We have rescued them all. Great Dane, Pure white shepherd, Lab and a Britany Spaniel. We paid for some procedures, but never to the detriment of the family welfare. They are animals, and are thankful for a good home, which is more than many animals are afforded. If a procedure is required that is more than we can afford, no we will not pay that price.

Sorry to be pragmatic, but that is our veiwpoint.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

DingBat wrote:
Yours is the voice of reason & that is nothing to be sorry for.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

My Chocolate Lab blew out her ACL in her knee and I spent about $3,000 to get it fixed! My previous lab had the same problem and at that time it was about $2400 to fix. I have spent a ton of money on my doggies! I love them with all my heart!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

I wonder if we can use the word love when referring to our pets. For Theresa and me our pets are like family.I think we would do anything to keep our pets healthy. I know somebody mentioned pet insurance. This has me curious, can anybody tell me where this is offered. Thank you. ....Bob

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I love my cats, they are my children, however, if it comes down to being able to make the house payment or save the cat, I am sorry but the cat will be sacrificed to keep the roof over my Mother's and my heads.

I can only hope and pray never to have to make this choice again. I had one die from the tainted cat food from China and had to euthanize her because I couldn't afford kidney dialysis for the rest of her life.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

DingBat wrote:
We have had pet dogs for the past 30 years. We have rescued them all. Great Dane, Pure white shepherd, Lab and a Britany Spaniel. We paid for some procedures, but never to the detriment of the family welfare. They are animals, and are thankful for a good home, which is more than many animals are afforded. If a procedure is required that is more than we can afford, no we will not pay that price.

I my opinion you are not being pragmatic but practical.

Yes they are animals and I love my pets, I do however love my poor old Mother more and the fact that I still am being able to keep a roof over our heads.

I would not and will not break myself, go over my head in additional debt, or loose my home to save a dying pet.

It hurt me deeply and I still mourn and miss my dear Maui Waui, my signature photo here, when she slowly went from a 20 pound healthy cat to a 5 pound emaciated kitty with kidney failure. I did not think it would be nothing but cruel to force her to have to go through dialysis twice a week. To me it was much more humane to put her to sleep and be through with it.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bob wrote:
I wonder if we can use the word love when referring to our pets.
Yes, of course you can...In many, many homes the pet is simply another member of the family & are treated as such...That's why pets are a billion dollar business.

I'll find some info on pet insurance for you...Please bear with me, it may take a bit of time.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

We had pet insurance and trust me, it didn't pay for much compared to the monthly premiums. It was so bad in fact that we got rid of it. TThat was a few years ago so maybe it's changed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
imported post

We have 7 rescue kids (cats). They are my family. We have a health plan on each. For about 23 dollars a month we have unlimited office visits, discount on meds and reduced cost on major problems. This covers all shots, neuter or declawed. But, after the first year, we drop the plan if the kids are healthy. Our kids are indoor kids and are not exposed to life threatening events. I keep large bottles of assorted meds to help with most any sickness. I will even perform minor surgery if needed. Our kids would be dead or injured and have rough life If we had not intervened. We would NOT exceed our budget for crises intervention. Love of a pet has to have limits just as anything in life does.

OK off my soap box. I just love all my kids.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I can honestly tell you that I dont know if I would do what I did for zues again with any animal. Zues cost me over $25K in just 4 yrs, and after two knee surgeries, and many months of rehab he ended up getting bone cancer and had too be put down. There has too a line drawn in the sand, but how does one do that and still be fair to the animal and yourself? I have had many animals in my life, and he was very special too us, and I wouldnt hesitate too do it again for him if I was guarantee'd he would be able too live a long and healthy life.

·
Registered
241 Posts
imported post

As noted above in all the replies, this is a very personal and emotional subject for many. In the end, any choice we make is the right one for our pets.

So say we all.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I hope my only pet a cat never has a major problem I would have to make some hard decisions

1 - 18 of 18 Posts