Hamilton vs.Victorinox

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Which brand is better? Both make good quality watches and Hamilton has history on their side.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
imported post

Also Hamilton has the power of Swatch behind them

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
imported post

While I've never owned a Victorinox I have held/tried on several. On the other hand I've owned about 8 different Hamiltions; between these two product lines I feel that Hamilton overall brings more to the table.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

This one is kinda hard. Both brands have many watches that I personally like.

Movement wise, I think that Hamilton has it, as they use alot more ETA and 7750 movements, while Victornox does use auto, they have alot of quartz in their line up as well.

Design wise though, I would say, Hamilton is a little more casual/dress, where Victornox is a little more rugged.

I cant really choose, because they both make models, that I really like and enjoy.

Tie for me.

·
Registered
942 Posts
imported post

As far as quality, I would say they are about even. Personally, I like a lot of the Hamilton's designs so my vote goes to them.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Great battle thread and 2 brands I personally really really like.

My vote goes to Hammy for the history, retained value - BUT it is still a close battle. 2 good brands!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I like em both.

But.

I believe, and I've heard it from other people, Swatch brands seem to get better ETA movements.

I've noticed that my Hamiltons, with comparable movements to non Swatch branded watches, always seem to be more accurate. So, maybe they're adjusted better, or something.

So I'd have to go with Hamilton on this one.

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I like both brands and have owned multiples of each. Quality is the same designs I give a slight edge to Victorinox for their military looks. Hamilton's designs sometimes are a little too over the top for me.No AR coating on many Hamiltons. I give a slight edge to Victorinox.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
imported post

have them both and like them both, equally.

It's a dead heat for me because there is a model or 2 of each that I would still like to buy.

·
Banned
861 Posts
imported post

'bout the same overall. Both good watches.

Victorinox is a well respected Swiss cutlery and fine instrument manufacturer with a long established history of excellence. They have been mass producing watches and watch parts under contract for other Swiss watch brands since the WWI era. They have been mass producing watches for several decades under their own brand name as well. So Victorinox is well placed among the officially approved Swatch customers for Eta ebauche and finished mechanical/automatic and quartz movements. They have a long established, valued business relationship with Swatch.

Both companies use the same quality unadjusted Eta mechanical/automatic ebauche movements to manufacture their respective watches. Any difference in accuracy stems from how good a job the terminuers do when adjusting the finished movements after case up and/or finished watch production. The Eta movements in either brand are generally capable of being adjusted to the same level of excellent accuracy as are most all Eta movements made today.

FYI, officially Eta has a policy of no longer selling ebauche and/or finished movements to unapproved Swiss and non-Swiss based watch producers (like Invicta et al). However, Swatch has an unofficial policy of indirectly marketing limited amounts of ebauche and/or finished automatic movements to non-approved buyers through Victorinox. This allows Swatch to unofficially sell sufficiently large enough quantities of various ebauche movements to both Swiss and non-Swiss based companies who otherwise would not be allowed to buy them. Doing so allows these unapproved companies to produce large enough production runs of watches to remain profitable. It also allows Swatch to be competative with Asian movement manufacturers on a global scale while remaining in the good graces of the rest of the Swiss watch industry. In short, it's politics.

PS, a short while back during anShopNBC watch show, Wing Liang devulged that Seagull has been producing movement blanks for various Swiss watch movement manufacturers. This is not news to me. I've known for a whilethat this has been going on sincethe mid to late 1970's after theso called "quartz watch revolution" which Seiko introducednearly ruined the Swiss watch industry. In short, if youcan't lick 'em, joint 'em (or at least take advantage of'em). :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
imported post

Victorinox for me,mainly because over in this neck of the woods you dont see many hamiltons.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
imported post

I am not too qualified to say much, but I'd go with Victorinox, as I like the designs a little more. Thats not to say Hamilton is a slouch!

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
imported post

This is a real tough one!!

I love both brands and they are my favorites, along with Seiko.

I voted for Hamilton, as I think overall they have more higher end watches overall. While VSA has lots of quartz and are easier to find.

But it was a close one.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I say Hamilton for it's history and retained value.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
imported post

I have never owned any Hamiltons....yet, but for me my Victorinox are the cheapest watches I have ever bought yet the quality blows me away every time I strap mine on.  I will never sell them.  I think they are amount the best deals out there.  As one said before me the AR sapphire crystals add a lot to the watch too.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
imported post

I own a Hamilton, which I love. I've never owned a Victorinox. My vote is biased, but I'm casting it anyway. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts