Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, as of yet, have no watches in my collection that have a blasted finish.
Looked around a bit. I'm looking for suggestions and or pics, if you have 'em.

I think they look very cool. I like polished with brushed, but want to pick up a watch that has a blasted finish. BTW, what material is used in producing the "grainy" texture?

Many thanks,
Roarry

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Blasted case & bracelet...

It depends. Some might use sand or small grains of plastic or glass. some are water blasted.

Not all have a grainy texture either. Some are very fine.

I like a nice bead blasted finish as well, only issue is once you scratch it, that scratch is there to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
What style watch are you considering?

Sinn makes many blasted watches - all of their U series and a lot of their pilot/mil style watches are bead blasted.

The one thing that you need to be careful of is that a non-hardened blasted surface is near impossible to repair minor scratches.

Damasko and Stowa are brands to consider too.

You an even have a brushed/polished watch blasted. That is something to consider too. I've had that done to a few. It's fairly inexpensive too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What style watch are you considering?

Sinn makes many blasted watches - all of their U series and a lot of their pilot/mil style watches are bead blasted.

The one thing that you need to be careful of is that a non-hardened blasted surface is near impossible to repair minor scratches.

Damasko and Stowa are brands to consider too.

You an even have a brushed/polished watch blasted. That is something to consider too. I've had that done to a few. It's fairly inexpensive too.
Not 100% sure on style, although it would probably be casual - diver.
Thanks for your advice. :)

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Not sure how blasted you want it but Hamilton makes a nice manual field watch. You can find them with matching bracelets or get in touch with Hamilton to order one. Not a diver but.....and a good price for what it is.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Bead blasting can be a reasonably priced mod to any stainless watch. I understand IWW does it ... the Seiko below was done by Jay at MCWW. The others were factory done.

The look you end up with is completely dependent upon the media used to blast and typically the duller the finish, the MORE fragile it is to care for.

Two tone bead blast:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I, as of yet, have no watches in my collection that have a blasted finish.
Looked around a bit. I'm looking for suggestions and or pics, if you have 'em.

I think they look very cool. I like polished with brushed, but want to pick up a watch that has a blasted finish. BTW, what material is used in producing the "grainy" texture?

Many thanks,
Roarry
Ever been in a small parts factory before ? Machine is called a tumbler. Basically a tub with a vibrating motor underneath. You can vary the size of the media and speed of the vibrations to get various results. Many watch companies put pieces in these before they are stamped and assembled to get that effect you're looking for.
One of the best at doing it is your favorite brand Invicta. Where women spend big money to buy those ripped up "distressed" look jeans. Invicta has been making distressed watches. (top) The idea is to make them look like they've been sitting on the ocean floor for a long time.
Personally, if I want that look. I'd buy a used watch. You might be better off looking at Titanium watches to get that look. (bottom) Not much you can do with that stuff. It is what it is.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
My Dagaz CAV-1 has a relatively aggressive blasted finish and has held up quite well. The Shroud on my SBBN007 Tuna has a lighter more satin style blasted finish as well.

I like a good blasted finish on a watch, but unlike brushed and polished, if you do develop scratches the only real way to remove them is to have the whole piece blasted again.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My Sinn is blasted, but not tegmented. Bracelet clasp has taken a beating, but the rest of the watch is pretty scratch free. If you can swing it go for a Damasko or Tegmented Sinn case.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! All great ideas. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
I own that watch, and blasted it looks even better, where did you get that done, and how expensive is the procedure?
I had it done by Jack at IWW, it was under $100. That included pressure test.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts