Watch Freeks banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an interesting article from People.timezone. It was from 2007. Someone on this forum had mentioned that if you like the Rolex Sub, you should love the Blancpain because the sub is based on it.
After reading the article I realize that there were no dive watches before the 50 fathoms. Watch companies did not even realize there was a market for this kind of watch.
So all of this time I was looking at the 50 Fathoms, on eBay or in watch stores etc, I did not realize that it is the very first. Genesis if you will
Of course now I want one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
8,170 Posts
One of the watches I would buy if I hit that 30 million Euro jackpot next month :D Prompted by your post I did some research and if you mean by - 'no dive watches before the Fifty Fathoms' -, a watch with a rotating bezel to time dives, water resistant and large indices and hands to improve legibility you are right. But long before the Fifty Fathoms there were watches that were sold as being able to dive with. Which is not the same as a dive watch :D

Anyhoo, here are my three choices:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is not just a dive watch with a great history it is just out right beautiful and a conversation starter in any company. I know first hand cause I have the Flyback chrono. The attached picture shows it on the sailcloth strap but since then I switch to the original bracelet that enhances the watch better IMHO.

Michael

·
8,170 Posts
To get back to my own reply and the third picture: I'm absolutely stumped over the fact that Blancpain chose to add 'shoulders' to the case. That 'Tribute to Fifty Fathoms' is not very likely going to be used under harsh conditions, like real diving. It's more a dress piece (and I don't say this in a condescending manner) so adding those dreaded shoulders does not make it better i.m.o. It detracts from the original clean lines but hey, it was their call.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I would love to see a 50 in the flesh one day. I believe they have a 100 hour power reserve.

Palace de Versailles in downtown TO at bloor and bay have them. All I can say is in the metal........I pretty much wet my pants and drooled on top the the display case! Why I didn't ask to try it on still puzzles me. I plan on going back at some point to handle that work of art.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.