Watch Freeks banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Base movement SW 200-1. I read it is identical to the 2824 ETA.

This may be my next watch. I was comparing the Longines GMT and this ProPilot and I think this one looks better.

How's the LUME on these?

Anyway. Which one would you choose?

· Registered
5 Posts
Propilot Date! The "straight to business " nature of the dial pulls me in like no other watch. I've been looking at it myself on Jomashop. You might also like Sinn 656 or Archimede Outdoor Protect (my favorite).

· Registered
414 Posts
BC3 is the way to go, couple thoughts....
Big Crowns have crown stem issues in the past and according to some, still a somewhat weak link, Sellitas maybe "identical" but is not the same thing as ETA to me, subjective thought ? maybe but, there nonetheless...as a side note, Sellitas fitted watches have consistently command a lesser resale price in the pre-loved market than their ETA counterparts.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea. The GMT is really nice. Now that I've looked at many watches (I'm learning about them), I think the polished steel gives a watch an older look.

So I showed them both to the wife. That's a good idea since women could care less about watches. She didn't know what she was looking at. On top of that, she hates black dials.

So I showed her the Longines and then showed her the BC3 and the ProPilot. Made the AD girl pull the ProPilot out to give me the price ($1,800 full retail. They have 20% off sometimes so that puts it at around $1,440).

And she said the Logines looked "old" and that out of all she liked the ProPilot but she didn't know why. She looked really puzzled. How can she like a black dial watch.

I always tell people, if you want a watch go see it in person before you get it. They look and feel really different when you have them on your wrist.

It is strange how the dial of the ProPilot for some reason shines dark blue. I'm not sure why this is. She said "is that blue?" I said no it's black. But it really does have a tinge of blue when it reflects the light. I think the reason is, it has HUGE white numbers and the second hand disappears against the black dial. So you're basically looking at big white numbers. Talk about a simple easy to read dial. So even though she doesn't like black, you're looking at white. Hard to explain.

The other thing I think it's all the polish on the Longines. Also I was looking at Ball. Same problem. It's all the polish. It just gives it this standard older look.

The ProPilot is all brushed. Looks young. And as simple dials go, this one is great at only 41mm (I have a 6" wrist).

I would like having Longines on my wrist, but the Oris ProPilot appeals to me more.

My wife said the same. She would like me to get Longines, but she liked the Oris more.

Because Longines is a HUGE name in Asia (I live in Thailand). Longines makes half their sales in Asia. The Chinese remember when Longines was like a Rolex back in the 50's and their name is still recognized (even though it isn't the same, they don't know that).

8,177 Posts
Reactions: #four and ChuckW
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.