Watch Freeks banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking on buying an Oris Big Crown Pointer Date, but I'm still worrying between the Original PD (Ref. 01 754 7543 4064-07 5 20 53) and the new version PD (Ref. 01 754 7679 4064-07 5 20 78FC) (Oris-newbie)

- Are there good reasons why I should choose for one and not for the other? Is the new PD remarkably better then the Orig PD (type of top glass -Plexi vs. Sapphire-, closing method -buckle vs. folding clasp-)?

- About the date-circle:
- if on the outside (as on the BC Orig. PD): isn't it confusing when quickly time-checking (as I read somewhere in another review/topic)?
- if on the inside (as on the BC PD): are the numbers still readable enough?

- I already read the manual and didn't understand a paragraph about changing the date, day and time:
"... The rapid date and day corrections cannot be performed between 21:00 and 03:00 because the mechanism is meshed for the change and damage may occur. ..."
What's coming to life in the watch between these hours (;)) that you can't change the time-settings during this period?

Greetings,
Michel

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Found this tidbit

The watch has a mechanism to rotate the day or/and date discs on the watch dial. If you try to change the day or date while this mechanism is in the middle of doing its job, it might break, get misaligned or get stuck. That’s why it’s important that you don’t change the time before and after the midnight. Watch manufacturers generally recommend not changing the day and date from 21:00 till 03:00

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Exacto Mundo

I almost had that happen last night... And I am religious about it
When rotations cause your watch to stop, you must be out side this zone, I usually just move the darn crown until I find midnight... Or the date changes and I set.
On the GMT I have, it's a cinch. Just looking at the 24 hour marker.. Bam

As for the Oris ... I owned one, it was a tad small so I sold to a friend. I have to say it was the nicest fit and finish watch I had owned prior to the Baume Mercier. Equal in every way, butter smooth winding, easy to read. Just a delightful watch.
Good luck in your decision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts