Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've seen many a report on the actual mechanism. They apparently use coins to regulate it. Quite impressive for something so huge!

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Is that fascinating?! Or what?!! 😵😮 Really is, along with ridiculously cool !
I mean the level of care taken to just build Big Ben was unbelievable, but the
inner workings of everything is honestly breathtaking.😀 Am not actually sure
I remember learning about all of this. So thanks for finding this for us Steve !
Definitely is one incredibly accurate clock, and much much more !!!

P.S. When our town's chimes always went off, I always thought about
Big Ben over the years, and now I will even more ! 🙂

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did anyone notice to regulate the clock the coins are stacked on TOP of the pendulum and not down below where the swinging weight of the pendulum is? They stated that "adding the coins "raises the center of gravity and makes it swing faster" because adding coins down below on the swinging weight would be adding weight to it which would make it swing slower...

Very interesting!

·
Super Moderator
9,620 Posts
Did anyone notice to regulate the clock the coins are stacked on TOP of the pendulum and not down below where the swinging weight of the pendulum is? They stated that "adding the coins "raises the center of gravity and makes it swing faster" because adding coins down below on the swinging weight would be adding weight to it which would make it swing slower...

Very interesting!
Didn't actually notice that to tell the truth Steve ! 😯

Incredibly interesting !!! (y):D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Does anyone realise Big Ben isn't the clock, it's the name of bell. Yes, the clock is regulated by using coins, but not any coins, they have to be the old penny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts