Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Freeks,
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what to look for with a fake watch being sold on the bay or anywhere else. I found this at another forum and it was reported to the bay and hopefully it gets taken down. It was found and identified by a Mod...Here is the link and please everyone be very careful its the holidays and this happens much more now....Please click link below...

Fake Panerai on the bay link

I spoke about this with James before I posted to get his approval....Thanks James!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Jack what give this one away......I haven't seen that many of them so how did they identify it as fake?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

same question - how do they know it is a fake?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

This is why I'm going to snag my Oris or Breitling from a B&M, even though I can get a better deal online. I just don't know enough about the higher end pieces to identify a fake.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This is one way...
The list of design flaws on counterfeit Panerais varies per model. You'll find that pretty much all of the genuine models are made as replicas. For this article, we will use the Panerai 029 (or Pam 029, as it is also known) as an example.
Price
# The first possible way to spot a fake Panerai would be price. Most counterfeit dealers trying to pass a watch on auction sites will sell for around $1,000 to $2,000. An actual Panerai watch retails, depending on model, from $6,000 to $10,000. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Noticeable Flaws
# The first noticeable flaw in a replica Panerai is the crown (used to wind the watch). On a replica, it is usually smaller than the genuine and often not put on straight so that it tilts to one side or the other. Also, the crown guard that is distinctive on Panerai watches is often wobbly, and the crown-guard pin that keeps the crown locked will often come loose because it is the wrong size.

Another noticeable flaw is the color of the watch dial. The Pam 029 is a deep black with off-white lettering. Replicas often have a purple hue with "too white" lettering of the words Panerai and Luminor GMT. Also, the "Swiss made" at the bottom of the watch dial is often placed lower on the replicas.

The luminosity of the watch dial is another item to carefully consider. Panerai watches, after light exposure, glow brilliantly for hours in dim light. Replicas do not use the best materials for this process, and it shows in the dimmer glow.
Less-noticeable Flaws
# Something less noticeable is the date font under the magnified Cyclops; it is thinner than the real watch and the magnification is weaker. The magnifier on the fake is glued onto the watch crystal; the genuine has it built in. Another hard-to-spot flaw would be that the minute hand and the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) hand are slightly longer on the fakes than the real watch.

Finally, the last giveaway will be the strap itself. All Panerai watches come with a quality Italian leather or crocodile strap plus a rubber dive strap and a tool to switch them. The replica rubber may be passable, but the leather straps are usually poor quality or even fake leather.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I agree...A bunch of scandalous people out there.....I just don't want anyone to get caught out there...We all work very hard for our money and now a days its hard to come by let alone have some moron rip us off. Keep safe everyone and there is a way to check if your watch is real...just call the seller ask him or her to provide the serial number to the watch and can find out when and where that watch was purchased and by whom. Don know a bit more about that also. He just told me about that and its a great way to find out...If the seller does not want to provide that info then hang the phone up right (don) ahh I mean Chef...lol..

djpop wrote:
Thanks Jack now days nothing is sacred

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info and looking out for us Jack.

·
Registered
530 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
This is why I'm going to snag my Oris or Breitling from a B&M, even though I can get a better deal online. I just don't know enough about the higher end pieces to identify a fake.
Tuna,
I have bought many i.e. higher end watches off the internet. You just have to be real careful on who you buy from. Places like Authentic watch and Bernard watches are great place to deal with. There is a giant grey market out there for watches, and you can save a ton of money buying from them. A reputable place has nothing to hide. Just be a smart shopper and as Jack stated if it seems to good to be true. Then it probably is not the real deal.

jeff

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

Stratos27 wrote:
TUNAKLLR wrote:
Tuna,
I have bought many i.e. higher end watches off the internet. You just have to be real careful on who you buy from. Places like Authentic watch and Bernard watches are great place to deal with. There is a giant grey market out there for watches, and you can save a ton of money buying from them. A reputable place has nothing to hide. Just be a smart shopper and as Jack stated if it seems to good to be true. Then it probably is not the real deal.

jeff
I hear ya Jeff. I'm just concerned about the warranty? A lot of manu's won't warranty the piece if you bought it gray market, correct?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

THANKS for the heads up Jack! I looked at that Panny and I also knew it had to be fake simply due to the price alone and the fact there was no reserve either! Real Panny's are a helluva lot more expensive than that. Keeop your eyes open and be dilligent about the buying process for sure!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

bodypeersur wrote:
Well it's still listed so I guess ebay doesn't care.
Not true duff...I'm sure they are giving him a chance to prove it. They have to deal with millions of counterfeit items on a daily basis. Hopefully they take it down. Lets see what happens..

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

looks like the listing is gone, or it ended. there really is no way to tell these days. there are fakes out there that are exactly the same down to the tiny details, weight, etc. they actually are pretty good watches based on the parts being used, but complete fakes of the way higher end luxury brand they are copying. and unless you actually open up the watch and look inside you just will never know.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Want to buy some stock in my latest venture?

100% Genuine Fake Watches!

OH NO!

They just took all of my 100% Genuine Fake Watches and are smashing them!!!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
Want to buy some stock in my latest venture?

100% Genuine Fake Watches!

OH NO!

They just took all of my 100% Genuine Fake Watches and are smashing them!!!

Nice.....I would like to throw one of my watches in there also...:)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

:c:c:cOk have an update on that fake panny....Ebay took it down..glad now no one will get beat....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts