Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
11,665 Posts
Wonder why Benarus needs Kickstarter to fund this? Odd.....Maybe I'm missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
I think it is the equivalent of a pre-order. They raise the money in advance of the production. Just the new way to do things and safer for the company is my take on it.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I think it is the equivalent of a pre-order. They raise the money in advance of the production. Just the new way to do things and safer for the company is my take on it.

It is a little strange. Benarus has actually not been doing preorders for their past few releases as far as I know, just a reserve list.
I guess he figured why not do Kickstarter if he could. So far it is way above his goal, so he has raised more money than what was needed for production which I guess will help fund the company even more.

I am somewhere in the middle on the subject. Kickstarter was just that. A kick start for a new company, not a company that has been in production since 2008. And it's not like this was even a brand new model, it's one that's been done before.
But I guess kickstarter has changed their rules because they obviously allowed it.

Benarus is a good company with good CS and all but I don't feel kickstarter should have been an option for them. But hey, if you can do it, then who am I to say anything about it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little more context on the use of Kickstarter from the Benarus Blog:

There are 6 new designs gearing up to be produced, and this time we will take your preorder on KickStarter. In the past we have struggled to know the level of production, and how many of each design to make. Since we are small and fund every project ourselves, this would result in a production of 100 to 150 watches. These watches would typically sell out quickly, leaving some customers without the watch they wanted to have. By using KickStarter, there is the ability for you to place a preorder now and guarantee that you will get the watch that you want. There is also a huge savings opportunity by placing this preorder.

Reactions: bracky72

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
A little more context on the use of Kickstarter from the Benarus Blog:

There are 6 new designs gearing up to be produced, and this time we will take your preorder on KickStarter. In the past we have struggled to know the level of production, and how many of each design to make. Since we are small and fund every project ourselves, this would result in a production of 100 to 150 watches. These watches would typically sell out quickly, leaving some customers without the watch they wanted to have. By using KickStarter, there is the ability for you to place a preorder now and guarantee that you will get the watch that you want. There is also a huge savings opportunity by placing this preorder.

I disagree with that. He could have still went the regular preoder route, taking a deposit with the rest due upon completion.

Again, they went this route because many are doing it, he can get full price for the watches as opposed to a deposit and gets more funding than they were asking for.

Like I said if allowed, then by all means do so.

Just a little different than what I thought kickstarter was for.
But just like everything else, with time, things change.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Price on the 2014 model was $850 - price on the 2015 model was $750 for the early bird and $780 for the next 50. Nice savings considering a sapphire bezel insert is added on this 2015 model. I didn't pull the trigger on this one, but I'd definitely support doing a pre-order or Kickstarter to save an extra $100 on a watch that normally sells out without discounted pricing.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I am willing to bet Steve did it on Kickstarter not only for the reasons already stated, but also because it has a certain amount of built in advertising. Even with announcements on Facebook, the website, all the various WIS forums, those still wouldn't touch the current audience that will see it on Kickstarter. That can translate into much higher sales out the door versus his normal route.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
12,931 Posts
Wow, that watch is just incredible litlmn ! Always liked them even though they'd probably be a little big for me. :smile: ..Hadn't known about this, or Benrus being on Kickstarter like this. Thanks so much for the heads up about it !

·
Banned
754 Posts
Theybe sold 98 watches so far, 30 of them with that two watch package of $1,400, with 16 days left so I'm happy for them going this route. They've been around for a long time and I can understand that point of not really kick starting the brand but wow ! I don't think they would've had that many preorders so quick. Great company with great CS. Just wish it wasn't so big. They don't wanna do a 45mm version, yet. I don't care if it can't be called a Megalodon if they make it in 45, I just want that super sexy lume markers one day.

I wonder how many of those will start selling for $1,200 each on eBay as soon as they arrive.

I have more Benarus in my wish list but not this size, wish I could do. Really wish I could rock that size.

If I had a 2014 Meg, I'd dump it and get this version.

Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see both sides to it. I think the spirit of Kickstarter is/was to raise funds for start-ups. At the same time there have been a few smaller watch brands that have successfully used it to raise money for more than their first release (Lew & Huey and Melbourne Watch Co come to mind). So Benarus is not the first to do this.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
As long as it conforms to Kickstarter's guidelines, it seems like a win-win. Benarus can subsidize production with funds from the campaign and be able to accurately forecast how many pieces of each model to produce based on contributors' selections. Contributors get a great watch at a discounted price from a reputable company with a good track record so there's little risk that Benarus would fold and not deliver the watches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts