Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just placed my order for the second production run of the Megalodon. This is a watch that I've wanted since the first time I laid eyes on it. It's big (49mm), beefy (20mm) and extremely capable (2500M).

It's a custom order, although the choices are limited. Iusually prefer a matte black dial, but it is not offered this time around. I chose the Blue CF, which should mimic theocean waves nicely. The finishing choices are brushed, polished, blasted and PVD. I chose this watch to be my first bead-blasted one. I also went with the black bezel with the lume insert, along with black hands. After viewing the preorder list, I should be the only one with this particular combination (the other blue/blasted orderschose silver hands). It is powered by an ETA 2824-2, and protected by a screwed in caseback and a 4.5mm sapphire crystal.

I chose to post this news because I haven't been this excited about a watch since I've been collecting. I also have attached a link to the website for anyone who wants to order one for himself (or just to read more about it and view some good pics- the lume is amazing!).

If all goes as planned, it should be on my wrist no later than June. I certainly will look forward to posting some pics once it arrives. Thanks for reading and joining me in my excitement!

http://www.benarus.com/megalodon/index.php

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Watchguru58 wrote:
That is a sweet watch my friend. I was looking at these the other day. Congrats!! I can't wait to see your custom design. :b:b:l
Thanks a lot, Rob- I can't wait to show it to you :b!!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Very cool!!! I can't wait to see it.

From their site- http://www.benarus.com

Benarus Megalodon Series 2 The design of the Benarus Megalodon is a tribute to the largest shark to ever live on this planet, Carcharodon megalodon, which could grow to more than 18 metres (59 ft) long and with a body mass of 70 metric tons (77 short tons) or more. The Megalodon had 3 types of teeth and it had a total of about 250 teeth in its jaws.
The dial design of the Benarus Megalodon symbolizes the teeth of C. Megalodon while the case and bezel measuring 49mm represents the body mass and size of the shark. With a depth rating of 2,500 meters, an automatic HRV, 4.5mm sapphire crystal, and screw down crown and case back the Benarus Megalodon has no trouble reaching down into deep dark waters. A Swiss made ETA 2824-2 automatic mechanical movement and an oversized timing bezel assures you the best quality instrument for diving and daily time keeping.

About Benarus
About Benarus Ben•a•rus [ben air us] A Benarus watch is a high quality professional instrument produced in limited quantities and is available to collectors, professional divers, adventurers and watch enthusiasts throughout the world. 

Founded by Ralf Schreiner in Munich, Germany. Ralf has been a watch collector for most of his life and learned from his father who has also been collecting for over 30 years. Ralf had the goal to create Benarus to bring affordable watches that have the highest quality fit and finish to collectors with the highest standards. These collectors want more watch for their money and that is what Benarus creates. This is achieved by low overhead costs and continuing to focus on research and development with a hands-on approach to quality control, working with the machinists and various production steps involved to get to the final goal.

Benarus watches share the idea that 'Less is More', and all of our dials and parts are easy to read as well as functional. We use Superluminova on our dials to achieve the brightest possible lume. We also use sapphire crystals and 316L stainless cases that are water resistant from 500 meters to 2,500 meters. We use the ETA 2824 Swiss mechanical automatic movement as well as the Miyota 8215 mechanical automatic and we are also testing the latest products that are being developed by both manufacturers.

Benarus watch designer Steve Laughlin joined the company in 2008. Steve has BFA in art / design from Kansas State University and has been a watch enthusiast and collector for over 15 years. Steve got his start in watch design with the Benarus Megalodon. Steve’s background is in Graphic Design, specifically website design and development. He is the Benarus Webmaster and is the contact person for all general questions about Benarus. Steve operates the Benarus headquarters in Kansas City, USA.

Please feel free to contact Steve with any questions you have about Benarus or our products. Steve takes pride in answering every email that he receives with the most direct and detailed answer possible.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
I've seen this watch on other forums as well - very impressive looking watch - it is +$1K in cost though

a little pricey IMO but very well rated.

I know there are a FEW similarly rated divers out there for less money, but compared to the others I had on my list (with one exception), this one's a bargain. I love the looks of the UTS 2000 and the Kobold Arctic Diver, but they are way too high for me. The PO 45.5 is, and always will be on my list until I can afford one (gonna take some time for that one). I decided that I can get the Benarus and a Deep Blue Master and still have some change left over instead of getting the UTS or Kobold (and. In the end, I just couldn't justify paying that much when there are other pieces out there with similar ratings (and the same exact movement) for a LOT less $. So, for me, this was the practical choice- has all I want in a diver: size, depth, 3 hand auto, good lume and style.

I've read your Deep Blue posts recently and agree that they are tops in the value department. I have planned on getting one for a while now, and will most likely pick one up to keep me occupied while I wait for the Megalodon- just trying to decide which color (leaning toward PVD).

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

yes i agree this piece is sweet!! i love the look - i guess when you put it that way comparatively - it is a better bang for your $$$

BIGtime wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
I've seen this watch on other forums as well - very impressive looking watch - it is +$1K in cost though

a little pricey IMO but very well rated.

I know there are a FEW similarly rated divers out there for less money, but compared to the others I had on my list (with one exception), this one's a bargain. I love the looks of the UTS 2000 and the Kobold Arctic Diver, but they are way too high for me. The PO 45.5 is, and always will be on my list until I can afford one (gonna take some time for that one). I decided that I can get the Benarus and a Deep Blue Master and still have some change left over instead of getting the UTS or Kobold (and. In the end, I just couldn't justify paying that much when there are other pieces out there with similar ratings (and the same exact movement) for a LOT less $. So, for me, this was the practical choice- has all I want in a diver: size, depth, 3 hand auto, good lume and style.

I've read your Deep Blue posts recently and agree that they are tops in the value department. I have planned on getting one for a while now, and will most likely pick one up to keep me occupied while I wait for the Megalodon- just trying to decide which color (leaning toward PVD).

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . . I handled and tried on Tazman's new Megalodon. Very impressive watch!!!! Beautifully finished, heavy as hell, a quality watch from tip to toe!!!! If a big, exclusive diver is your thing . . . it's a top of the list piece.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
imported post

Big congrats on that pick up. The waiting would absolutely drive me nuts, but patience is always rewarded.

Much like Rick, I was not familiar with the company, but they have some nice pieces in their other lines as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Congratulations ! a beautiful time piece and a REAL honest Limited custom watch !!!!! This might be a first

Now, the true test of patience it should arrive in .....tick tick tick

:c:b:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
imported post

Liked it so much I ordered a second, this time a brushed finish, lume bezel and yellow dial. You WILL NOT be disappointed with one of these babies, a TRUE diver.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

GREAT pictures RLFierro! I love the one with the watch around the giant tooth. Great picture!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Wow, RL- thanks for those teaser shots - now I really can't wait!

I really love you dial- I almost went with the silver steelbrush dial, but wanted a diver with a blue dial for a change. Really excellent pics though. It says a lot about the watch if you ordered a 2nd one! I wish I couldve ordered 3 as Id like a PVD/ orange and a polished one w/black CF as well. Who knows- maybe there'll be a 3rd run. Thanks again for Shari g your pics!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.