Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Ben and Sons (supposedly) General Limited Edition "ceramic" watch from worldofwatches, the one I purchased can be seen here (they have many variations):

http://www.worldofwatches.com/detail.asp?iq=1&bo_products_id=159305&bo_products_variance_id=212472

Anyway, they are calling it a matte finish all ceramic watch. When I received it, as soon as I took it out of the box, I could clearly tell that the watch was bead blasted 316L stainless steel and it was not ceramic at all. The bracelet was clearly making a steel clinking noise when it rattled. I have a Luminar and a Karamica, which are truly ceramic, and the clinking noise is totally different on ceramic than steel. Another giveaway, is that on all ceramic watches, the end link is part of the case as one piece, nolded to look like separate pieces. This watch clearly has separate steel SELs as the end links that are not molded as part of the case. You would not make an end link out of ceramic as parts of it that are thin would be too brittle. Perhaps the biggest giveaway on this, is that the case back clearly states "316L Stainless Steel" which clearly refers not to the case back, but to the construction of the watch and bracelet. On the Luminar and Karamica, the case back clearly states "High Tech Ceramic" even though the case back itself is steel. Another giveway is the weight of the watch vs. the Luminar.
I tweeted the salespeople while they were on the air and told him about this, and they insisted that it was a ceramic watch. It clearly isnt but they wont admit it. He stated that there are holes in the links, and these are relief holes for the molds proving that the links are ceramic. Well I think he needs to look at the Luminar and Karamica bracelets because there are no "relief holes" whatsoever on those and they are clearly ceramic.
I returned the watch, because I only wanted ceramic and not steel, and they did not convince me at all that the watch is ceramic, but I think the watch looks VERY nice and really wanted to keep it, but I am too hard on watches to use steel and wanted the scratch resistance of ceramic. Whats funny is, on ceramic watches on TV they usually scrape them to show they wont scratch, but they have not done that on these, and they aired them this past Saturday and Sunday on their show and still insisted they it was a two year process of some kind to find just the right Chinese factory that could get the "matte ceramic process" right. they also insisted that these are the cheapest theyve ever done ceramic..well its easy to make them cheaper when they are really 316L stainless steel as it states on their case backs...lol
Anyway sorry for the long post, but I was hoping someone else on here had attempted to buy one and felt the same way, and I wasnt just dreaming this. I would imagine they will be getting a TON of returns on these. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Moved to TV watch show section (because I am basically confused on where to put this thread, lol)

Sounds like you were unhappy with the watch you purchased from an info-commercial TV show. Luckily you could return it and get a refund.

Sounds like a positive outcome so you can spend your money on another more established brand with more info about it available to research in advance.

Let us know what you end up buying.

ps - welcome to the site. Hopefully you will stick around and get involved. I look forward to reading your posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks all....now I see where my thread was moved to lol. anyway it's a beautiful watch in person, but I still say it wasn't ceramic and mr. Skelton apparently disagrees. btw tvdinner, it's not an infomercial it's a 3 hour show with watches they sell on their site up to IWCs and breitlings etc, but yes they have many SWI brands as well. I personally own several rolexes, tags, omegas etc, but unfortunately only the Chinese mfrs and us companies selling Chinese made watches make all ceramic or tungsten watches. when Rolex cones out with an all tungsten watch I'll be the first in line to buy it! of course it'll never happen but I love my ceramic and my tungsten watches. they take a beating and keep looking nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi tattoo chef...yes I've looked at rados but the one I like only has ceramic over plastic ...the all ceramic ones are above what I want to spend on a rado because they're automatics with eta 2824s in them.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
btw tvdinner, it's not an infomercial it's a 3 hour show with watches they sell on their site up to IWCs and breitlings etc, but yes they have many SWI brands as well. I personally own several rolexes, tags, omegas etc, but unfortunately only the Chinese mfrs and us companies selling Chinese made watches make all ceramic or tungsten watches. when Rolex cones out with an all tungsten watch I'll be the first in line to buy it! of course it'll never happen but I love my ceramic and my tungsten watches. they take a beating and keep looking nice.
Call them what you want but they are TV home shopping network info-mercial like shows where carnival like barkers yell and scream and make wild claims to sell watches. This is WELL KNOWN. Read all over this forum and every other watch related site on the entire internet. Regardless of the brands presented, everyone knows this and there are no illusions about what is being done. Home shopping info-comercial type selling plain and simple.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with this but it is what it is. They exist for one reason and one reason ONLY - TO SELL as many watches as possible in the time period. No different then when they are selling towels or costume jewelry.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I think Android has an all ceramic watch that's quartz. Movado also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Android has an all ceramic watch that's quartz. Movado also.
i think they do, but actually i prefer tungsten...love the feel and heft of it, plus the shine and gunmetal color. there just arent enough manufacturers making all tungsten watches. right now i have a swiss legend tungsten pro black dial, an oniss tungsten chrono with silver/beige dial and blued hands and numbers, and a chinese made DOM watch thats pretty small but thin and dressy. its all tungsten and actually keeps much better time than all the "swiss quartz" watches i have, including my two luminox watches. This DOM watch is keep time to within 3 seconds a month. I have had it for 15 days and its 1.5 seconds fast (equates to 36 seconds a year). almost perfect. even better than the bulova "precisionist" i had that was supposedly accurate to within "10 seconds a year" but for me was running more like 60-70 seconds fast per year..so i sold it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.