Watch Freeks banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Are beggars/bums invisible to you ?...Do you think they caused their own predicament ?...Do you think the majority of them are deserving of our help/money/food etc. ?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

Certainly not invisisble, i do feel for them sometimes, obviously we dont know their stories but i expect some of them have just been incredibly unlucky, There is one guy in my home town who is homesless but EVERYBODY in town knows him, a kinda legend i guess lol

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
Not invisible. My reply to this question was actually posted in my blog a few months ago at http://www.watchfreeks.com/view_post.php?post_id=35791
That is a great post james, really enjoyed reading it. It can really make you realise how lucky we are, i go into a shop and buy food so easily, some people cant even do that, I think even the best of us need to stop and see what we have once in a while.

·
Registered
922 Posts
imported post

invisible. you asked and i am being honest.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Not invisible and I am empathetic. I don't see it as a personal responsibility on my part but a global responsibility of our society. This group of our society needs real social services to get them off the streets and back into society. I believe the answer is jobs and right now the problem is just getting worse. Everyone who wants to work should be able to find a job in America. We need to create jobs and provide job training programs. We also need to provide medical and/or psychological treatment, not just a warm coat or a hot meal. We need to address those immediate needs but without a longer term solution the problem just continues.........

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

I have to be honest like liquid here. To me they are mostly invisable. At the risk of sounding cold-hearted, I do think that this is a choice for some but I do realize that for others it isn't a choice but the way things have turned out. When I'm at a stoplight do I give them money, no. However, I do donate money to charities every year that help the underprivledged so I do do something. In today's economy, I don't have a bunch of spare money to be giving out all the time. No one's job is safe any more including mine and my wife who is a school counselor. Therefore, we may wake up one day and one or both of us may not have a job. My job is to take care of my family first and that's what I do.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

NOT INVISIBLE

BUT in NYC you really dont know WHO is an actual needy person and WHO is scamming-

there are plenty of addicts walking around copping a story of boo hoo etc -

you kinda become numb to it after awhile - i know that sounds heartless -but there's just too many scammers around the city -you just dont know who really needs and whose gonna go get a fix as soon as you give them anything

at times i've attempted to buy food for some -coffee & a doughnut or something- they get pissed and walk away!!

it's a sad reality

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
NOT INVISIBLE

BUT in NYC you really dont know WHO is an actual needy person and WHO is scamming-

there are plenty of addicts walking around copping a story of boo hoo etc -

you kinda become numb to it after awhile - i know that sounds heartless -but there's just too many scammers around the city -you just dont know who really needs and whose gonna go get a fix as soon as you give them anything

at times i've attempted to buy food for some -coffee & a doughnut or something- they get pissed and walk away!!

it's a sad reality

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
imported post

Not invisible, no. But as many have said already, I don't give money to them. I will offer to buy them something to eat from time to time. Almost every time they say "Can't you just give me the money?" I always say no.

Some of them here in my town are trying too hard. I saw I guy holding a sign the other day said "Vietnam Vet. Cold and Hungry. Anyhting Helps." Problem was he was younger than me. I saw a guy holding a sign that said "Now accepting all credit and debit cards"

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Invisible, I dont care who you are if you want out of the gutter you will Easily get out. Those SOB want nothing more then to be there or want someone to get them out. I have no use for one of them let alone any of them!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I have literally passed hundred of "homeless" persons on the streets of DC over my 20 years there.

Ron . . . this is not directed at you . . .

I think that unless we take the time to find out an individuals circumstances . . . we don't know why they are "homeless". And tell me . . . who is willing to do that????:pk

This country prides itself on "picking yourself up by the bootstraps", and getting oneself back on track . . . which is great . . . if you can do it.

However, many cannot . . . for whatever the reason.

I simply cannot "look down" on them for their circumstance . . . who could blame me for having cancer (as an example). Sure, someone will point to my prior lifestyle and pinpoint things that may have caused the cancer . . . but no one can be sure. Once cancer is there . . . it can't be "undone". Maybe these folks have similar issues that can't be "undone".

Just because someone is homeless doesn't mean that they haven't tried to be "otherwise". Maybe they have mental/physical issues that prohibit their "improvement" and get off of the streets. And maybe some are lazy bums . . . who love sleeping in 10 degree temps and spend their days roaming the streets in 20 degree weather, begging for food . . . hmmmmmmmm.:pk

Now . . . with all this being said . . . I RARELY helped out someone on the street with cash. Not because I'm an SOB . . . but because I have seen many circumstances where the money has gone for alcohol and drugs. Since I was in the profession of alcohol/drug treatment . . . this went against my "cause" in life. However, I would give out McDonald's gift certificates. :)

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I see them daily, and there are some that you can see in their eyes that they are truly in need and those are the one's I help. There is a truck stop on my commute to and from work, so at the stop light there are always people pan handling. I also give to various charities through church, so I try and give as much as I can through those. They have also made it against the law to pan handle in Albuquerque, but that still doesn't stop the sign holders.

·
Banned
5,876 Posts
imported post

My wife and I try to give to the local homeless shelters at least once a month. There is a national effort called Angle Food Ministries that people can buy buy food very inexpensively....you can buy it for yourself...or ask that they give it to a needy family. The food is good....brands you see in stores...and they also have frozen dinners for the elderly...fresh fruits and veggies...and frozen meats. We have purchased from them when we have been struggling with money....especially after Katrina when we had nothing. After Katrina...it was very scary knowing you had nothing but clothes on your back...because basically that's all my wife and I had. Unless you have been in that situation...you don't really understand what it's like to not know where your next meal is coming from. Yes...we pulled ourselves back up and have worked hard to rebuild our lives....but sometimes it has been a real struggle to make ends meet....but we have worked reallyhard to do it.

I especaily do not mind giving to groups that help feed children....they have no way to fend for themselves...and it's only humane to make an effort to help feed children. So if you don't give to the guy on the street...at least find a good local charity or church that works hard to help feed children in the community.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
imported post

djpop wrote:
I have read some of the homeless do it as a job and can make a couple hundred a day. I dont give money out at street corners.
That is so wierd!! Just as i read your comment, i turned over to the simpsons and Homer was doing the exact same thing!! Pretending to be homeless to buy Marge nice things lol!!

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

The saddest thing is that the truly needy are never seen. They struggle alone or with their family, out of sight and out of mind to most of us. They don't have a story or scam. Most of the time they find a way to make it back into society without ever becoming visible. They are too proud and independent to advertise their tough luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.