Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there's any interest in pocket watches here at Freeks, but I had this out briefly this morning so took a couple of Q&Ds:

My former watchmaker and I dated it as best we could to 1876 when we serviced it a few years back. 140 next year and still going strong!

It features a fusee chain movement (as conceptualised by Leonardo DaVinci, no less), flame blued seconds hand, and porcelain dial inside an 18 k case, and was crafted by the firm Barraud & Lunds of London.

I intend to take some proper pics before I pack it away again. In the meantime, I hope you like it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is mighty sexy! I love a good pocket watch.
Cheers, Jon!

They're not the most practical things, perhaps. But there's something fun about pulling the watch out of your pocket, and then pressing the little button to flip the cover open and tell the time. It's quite a scene!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I quite enjoy flipping the cover off with a pocket watch and also winding it.

I have one mid-1920s Waltham too and it's running fine but not sure where is a good place to have it checked/serviced/valued.

@jason_recliner, where are you based?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Perth mate. PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

I'm really excited. At some point the original glass crystal was replaced with an acrylic. My watchmaker reckons he has a huge supply of vintage pocket watch glass, and will probably have something from the period that fits.

Also exciting but off topic. Last friday he showed me a tiny vial of radium powder. So cool!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts