9,701 Posts
It's always like being thrown a curve ball when you see BAR
right Eddie? :) Thanks a lot for shedding some light on things
Groucho, and Frans !! :smile1: :smile1: Think it has to be something
a lot of people probably wonder about.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I take all of my watches in the pool with me, no matter the WR rating, as long as they don't have a snap case back, those are verboten.

The only watch I had that leaked and ruined was a Citizen Eco-Drive that I forgot to screw the crown back down. I will never make that error again.

Of course, my pool is only 6 feet deep at the deep end, but that's as deep as 99% of the people in the world will ever dive!

30 Meters is 98 feet, a certified recreational diver would consider anything deeper than 100 feet an "Event Dive" and those are done very rarely as it gets pretty dark down there being 10 stories underwater.

In reality, any watch from a reputable brand that is rated at 100 meters up to 200 meters is more than enough for the deepest any of us is going, even scuba diving, of which the majority of scuba divers never make it more than 30-40 feet underwater.

So everyone here salivating over 500 meters, 1,000 meters and beyond watches, you are being bamboozled with the hype over those watches.

Although the deepest rated WR watch I own right now is one I bought for its looks, not the depth rating.

This puppy is 500m WR, and if I had my druthers, I would prefer this watch in a less thick case at 200m.

Squale bling by Charles Ford, on Flickr

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just got a watch , on the back it says 3BAR. How deep can I
go under water. Thanks guys
The rating is "static water pressure". That's to say, if the watch was perfectly still it would withstand a column of water 30m high (1 bar is 10m). Unfortunately though we tend to move about when in the water, so the actual rating doesn't mean much at all. The industry recommendations are as follows.

200m+ suitable for swimming and shallow dives
100m suitable for swimming
50m suitable for wearing in the shower
30m splash proof.

I have previously taken risks and got away with it, but that doesn't mean you should. If a watch has a screw in crown, and screw down back, the chances are it will be OK for almost anything, regardless of what the manufacturer says. Some manufacturers are very cautious. I once put a Parnis homage rated 30m in a bowl of water, shook it for 5 minutes, and then left it a day. Performed perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts