Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Heres what I have on the hp elite.My main desktop is in for warranty work.:madd

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)3.00 GB
dedicated 512meg NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
the os and programs are on C.I have 2 partitions.

I'm running Autocad,3dsmax 2010,poser,carrera, photoshop cs4 with elements.

also solidworks and more rendering programs. 32bit system running vista home premium. how to assign resources to autocad and the other programs when I run them.At the moment,vista is eating most of it.once the program loads, its fine but when going into render mode, I need at least 50% of ram for rendering animation frames.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Vista is using most of your 3GB of RAM. You will need to up the RAM and I would check the motherboard specs but you may want to keep them in matching pairs. You should be able to upgrade this motherboard to 8 or 16 GB of RAM for a minimal cost.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

not the answer I'm looking for.each increase in ram doesn't work.Vista just takes more of it.I need a solution with what I have.the backside bus is plenty fast.I need to turn off some of windows and use the dedicated card to run my graphics programs.So how about we work the problem? I have 3gs.thats more than the programs require and 6x the speed they require to run.theres no reason to give a memory hog more memory to hog.:pk

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

dedward wrote:
not the answer I'm looking for.each increase in ram doesn't work.Vista just takes more of it.I need a solution with what I have.the backside bus is plenty fast.I need to turn off some of windows and use the dedicated card to run my graphics programs.So how about we work the problem? I have 3gs.thats more than the programs require and 6x the speed they require to run.theres no reason to give a memory hog more memory to hog.:pk
Hello dedward !

I just noticed the new thread, sorry. There are a lot of steps that can be followed to mend your problems, but I don't know what steps or what things you have tried so far. I certainly don't intend or want to insult your intelligence or level of knowledge so I might ask some seemingly dump, stupid questions that a 5th grader might know or conversely at times I might seem to be speaking gibberish:( This kind of problem can be easy to remedy or very complex depending on what you may have tried. We might at some point want to continue the problem solving by PM, E-mail, Telephone and even remote access, it all depends on what you are comfortable with. We could always go back and then post for the rest of the members benefit what worked and what didn't work.
If you would, just tell me in rough terms, what you may or may not have already tried in these areas, again please excuse me if the questions appear to be dumb and/or too general or confusingl
  • Virtual Memory size and placement
  • Task Priorities
  • Services and what way do they start
  • Disk fragmentation
  • Memory speed benchmarking
  • If there are other tasks running when you are rendering
  • Which manufacturer of your video card did you purchase. MSI, PNY, Sparcle etc.
  • I am not familiar with all of your software, do they utilize DirectX 10, Open GL 2.1, can the software packaged take advantage of CUDA or PhysX

I get the impression from your post that the major problem time is during rendering, and other times tings are betteris that an accurate statement ?
That should be enough to get going, My email address is open and available in my profile if you wish to use it.

-Ed

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I'll put together the info today and post it.I had to do a clean install, so nothings been done yet.I'm fairly advanced for software apps.Some programs that don't need to be running can't be turned off using the msconfig for startup.Also, windows defender is not allowing some of the programs to stop either.This system is designed to ramp up when using a graphics intensive program.At the moment its not.I 'll post the benchmark results while autocad is running.

·
Registered
435 Posts
imported post

Sounds good, I'll watch for your post. By the way what time zone are you in it's a good thing to keep track of so we can coordinate our messaging ! I am on Hawaii time which is currently -10 GMT, and -5 EST. I also forgot to ask what exactly are you using for a machine is it an m9040, m900 , 800f , etc. . Knowing that will help me to research the mother board. Also which BIOS and rev level are you at?

Thank-Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.