Watch Freeks banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here are a couple of very inexpensive LED watches from China. I have ordered both the silver and gold versions for about $17 each plus tax. Price includes shipping. When they arrive I will give a report as to whether they are worth the price. An opportunity to add a inexpensive LED watch to your collection. The Gold finish is out of stock from the seller I bought from but there are multiple sources on eBay.

View attachment 145734
View attachment 145735
These arrived today. Functional but crudely finished and with bands with minimal adjustment. No micro adjustments and maximum band length about right for my 7.5" wrist. Shortening from that in about 1/2" steps. Band attachment not industry standard so difficult to change to a different band. No instructions with them but fortunately adjustment/setting similar to Armitron LED watches. No manufacturing identification at all and the silver one did not have the pry- off back cover fully seated as received. No indication of any water resistance capability, in fact no markings at all any where on either watch. Made by "Anonymous". Two buttons on one side and two fake flush adjustment points on the other side that did not depress when I tried to actuate them so did nothing that I could tell. LED readout is similar to current Armitron LED watches with 7 segments per number. IMO not recommended, spend a bit more and get an Armitron LED watch with better finish, water resistance, instructions and a warranty.

· Long Time Member
1,134 Posts
I’ve had a few experiences with the direct order for some other Armitron watches with no issue , even had to send one back for replacement without issue , could be just the time of the year for this and it became an issue .

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’ve had a few experiences with the direct order for some other Armitron watches with no issue , even had to send one back for replacement without issue , could be just the time of the year for this and it became an issue .
I hope so. UPS is supposed to deliver the correct watch Tuesday 1/10. Been a hassle that started about 12/18 and I still have not received the correct watch.

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The Armitron Tetra arrived today. Several differences from the Griffy LED noticeable. The band is thicker at about 2.5mm versus 1.6mm, wider at the spring pins, 20mm versus 18mm, and a bit more flexible. Also the red LED crystal is sunk below a raised bezel that is about 1.5mm deep, providing some additional protection for the crystal. Weight is 3.45 oz versus 2.55 ounces for the Griffy, primarily due to the wider and thicker band. Band fastening design is the same on both watches. The wider band spring pins should allow easier band replacement if desired. Both watches use the same identical manual per the down load links on the Armitron web site. No manual was included with the Tetra as received.

Watch Automotive lighting Rectangle Amber Clock

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Comparing my Tetra with two red LED Armitron Griffy watches I note that the displayed digits on the Tetra are noticeably brighter than on the Geiffys which should make reading in outdoor sunny daylight easier, historically a difficulty with LED display watches.

· Super Moderator
20,900 Posts
Sending some multiple MEGA cool congratulations your way sir !!! 😎😀

I was thinking Astro, that the issues in which you are having with some
of the finishing, as well as bands actually make these even more vintage
feeling. (y)(y) Because you can bet that watches like this built back in
the 70’s had very similar issues I bet. 😉 From finishing, to how they felt
on the wrist honestly had to be much the same. And in a way, that adds
to the charm of these I think. They aren’t perfect, but then again, that was
part of the personality of these digital dynamos from back in the day.

And really, just to be able to get something new that looks like this that
doesn’t cost a mint is great imho. The awesome LED displays alone are worth it at the end of the day ! ..Enjoy !!!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Comparing my Tetra with two red LED Armitron Griffy watches I note that the displayed digits on the Tetra are noticeably brighter than on the Geiffys which should make reading in outdoor sunny daylight easier, historically a difficulty with LED display watches.
I have now checked out two Armitron Tetras, Gold and Silver finished versions. Both have considerably brighter LED readouts than the Griffy red LED or my classic Hamilton LED so are much easier to read on a sunny day outside. It still helps to shade the face as much as possible but the old Hamilton is still unreadable in sunlight conditions. The Tetra is the closest to a 24 hour per day usable LED watch I have seen.

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here are a couple of very inexpensive LED watches from China. I have ordered both the silver and gold versions for about $17 each plus tax. Price includes shipping. When they arrive I will give a report as to whether they are worth the price. An opportunity to add a inexpensive LED watch to your collection. The Gold finish is out of stock from the seller I bought from but there are multiple sources on eBay.

View attachment 145734
View attachment 145735
The silver version has the worst accuracy I have seen from a Quartz watch, losing about 2 minutes per day. Definitely a low quality item I am afraid.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts