Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Armitron has basically two families of Semi-Retro LED watches. The first is the Griffy series with a stainless steel case that looks like it is straight out of the 1970s early LED watches. The reason why I call it Semi-Retro is because the LED readout is available in 4 colors, the classic Red, but also in Green, Blue or White and the displayed digits are much larger than on the 1970's watches. Digits are closer to 10 mm high versus the 3mm size on my old Hamilton LED watch. The digits on the old Hamilton were made up of many small LEDs while the digits on the Armitrons are large bar LEDs, 7 per digit. Due to magnification I suspect the edges of the displayed digits are fuzzier than on the classic watches too. Still easy to read and the larger size does eliminate the need for glasses for older eyes.

To operate press the upper button. The time is shown in HH:MM format for about 5 seconds. Press the button while the time is displayed and the date is shown in MM DD format. Press the button the third time, while the date is displayed, and seconds are displayed. All displays last about 5 seconds as LEDs are power hogs compared to LCD displays or the stepping motors used in analog quartz watches. An LED watch with red digits is a good choice for night time astronomy as the red color minimizes damage to night vision. Red is hard to read in bright light though such as trying to read the watch in sunlight. The Green is better for this use.

The bands are steel and quite thin so the whole watch is quite light weight. The band is length adjustable by sliding the buckle on the band so no removal of links is needed. Case finishes are Gold, Silver and Black. I have also seen both a rose gold and a silver and gold finish combination but these are not shown on the Armitron site currently. Amazon does show them.

Here is a link to the Griffy Watches at Armitron.

The second Armitron model is the Tetra which is only available direct from Armitron currently. Red LEDs only and a different shape case but the functions seem to be the same as the Griffy. 3 case finishes. The Tetras are more expensive than the Griffy watches.

Griffy Photo

Watch Automotive lighting Clock Font Gas

Tetra Photo

Watch Automotive lighting Rectangle Clock Grey

8,259 Posts
Thank you very much! I own a Hamilton (Pulsar) re-edition with both the dot-matrix and red LCD display sandwiched on top (clever hybrid design) but this one is very welcome. The gold edition with red display of course. I was a spotty teenager the time these watches entered the market. Even Tandy (Radio Shack) sold them. They started out priced more expensive than a plain Rolex but ended up in bargain bins. eBay prices of originals have started to increase the past year with asking prices far exceeding the original sticker price back in the day.

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodwatch

Below is a link to the gold and red LED version on Amazon. Good price currently and supposed to arrive before Christmas.

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
Boy oh boy, these are ridiculously cool Astro ! 😎😮

Finding vintage watches that are like this can be a real chore, not to
mention cost a pretty penny. With the newer special editions even
costing quite a bit as well. However, these Armitrons give everyone
another option that is pretty phenomenal honestly. 😉🏆And really
each one looks great !!

With the gold of the Griffy you get an outstanding vintage feel, but
then the space age shape of the Tetra is out of this world funky as
well ! ..They both are off the charts cool sir. THX a ton for the looks !!!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have an original stainless steel finish Hamilton from the 1970s that still works great as I mentioned in the description. It looks very much like the Griffy but was a lot more expensive, even bought on sale originally. Eats batteries though and it takes two 357 silver oxide batteries which last about a year with minimal watch use, and those are about the largest silver oxide watch batteries made.

Below is a Amazon link to two Grifffy models in finishes not listed on the Armitron web site, a black and gold red LED version and a rose gold white LED version. Both are on the same listing page.

https://www.amazon.com/Armitron-Spo...2943&sprefix=armitron+led,aps,193&sr=8-5&th=1

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Long Time Member
177 Posts
I own the vintage! If you want to go a lot pricier there are always these and I own both of them in the stainless and the gold! With boxes and all papers and accessories, mainly because I worked at HP for years and was on the project! I couldn't afford them at the time, but when they decided they were a computer company and not a watch company, they cleared them out for like 70% off! I couldn't resist and then they offered payroll deductions! As new in the box with all accessories, the last price I saw was $3 grand.

Watch Hand Gesture Communication Device Clock

Why does this insert a ton of lines when I Post??

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
I own the vintage! If you want to go a lot pricier there are always these and I own both of them in the stainless and the gold! With boxes and all papers and accessories, mainly because I worked at HP for years and was on the project! I couldn't afford them at the time, but when they decided they were a computer company and not a watch company, they cleared them out for like 70% off! I couldn't resist and then they offered payroll deductions! As new in the box with all accessories, the last price I saw was $3 grand.

View attachment 145626

Why does this insert a ton of lines when I Post??

I'm not actually sure to tell the truth ILEB. 😯But I tried to edit it and brought the second picture up next to the first. Although I can delete
the second one if you would like me too.

My apologies for the issue. 🙂

· Long Time Member
177 Posts
I'm not actually sure to tell the truth ILEB. 😯But I tried to edit it and brought

the second picture up next to the first. Although I can delete the second one

if you would like me too.

My apologies for the issue. 🙂
Hey @AtomicTom, am I seriously, the only one having this problem?!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suspect that the doubled photo is due to both using cut and paste and then choosing the full size picture in the photos box below the post before hitting the Post Reply box. Ignore the box with the photo choices and your photo should only appear once.

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
That one IS neat Astronut ! 😀

I mean it feels like it came right out of the 70’s, yet looks even
more refined really. With the black and gold really working some
funky magic here together. 😎😎

I can see why you like this version so much. It’s awesome ! And
so is just learning about all of these. Thank you sir !!!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Based on recent experience, DO NOT order from Armtron direct if possible. I ordered a Armitron Tetra gold with red LED watch before Christmas. The watch finally arrived this morning, after mail weather delays, but they sent the wrong watch. I received a gold with red LED Griffy watch. This is a different shape case and considerably less expensive watch. When contacted, Armitron has provided a return shipping label and supposedly is shipping the correct item but this is still a royal PITA! I have had much better results ordering Armitron watches from Amazon, and at a lower cost. Unfortunately the Tetra, along with some other watch models, is only available direct from Armitron at the moment.

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are a couple of very inexpensive LED watches from China. I have ordered both the silver and gold versions for about $17 each plus tax. Price includes shipping. When they arrive I will give a report as to whether they are worth the price. An opportunity to add a inexpensive LED watch to your collection. The Gold finish is out of stock from the seller I bought from but there are multiple sources on eBay.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Rectangle Auto part Font Wood

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
Astro, want to thank you for the insight on not buying from Armitron direct.
It's interesting because one would think it would be great ordering directly
from the source, but I guess not in this case. And you know, I am thinking
that it's the same way with ordering direct from any company. Because in
general it's tough beating Amazon. They seem to always have everything
in stock, plus you have the free shipping, as well as low prices all of the
time. They are just hard to beat in general. 😉

By the way, holy cowza, those sleek digitals you are showing just might
have clinched the 2022 Bang for the Buck Award for you sir. 😀🏆🥇😎
That is, or rather those are crazy cool ! ..Thank you very very much for
the looks as well as the insight !!!

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are a couple of very inexpensive LED watches from China. I have ordered both the silver and gold versions for about $17 each plus tax. Price includes shipping. When they arrive I will give a report as to whether they are worth the price. An opportunity to add a inexpensive LED watch to your collection. The Gold finish is out of stock from the seller I bought from but there are multiple sources on eBay.

View attachment 145734
View attachment 145735
These LED watches are supposed to e delivered Monday but I will not be surprised if they are late due to the current and upcoming weather conditions in California and the Sierras. The west needs the moisture but it would be better if it was spread out a bit more.

· Long Time Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Based on recent experience, DO NOT order from Armtron direct if possible. I ordered a Armitron Tetra gold with red LED watch before Christmas. The watch finally arrived this morning, after mail weather delays, but they sent the wrong watch. I received a gold with red LED Griffy watch. This is a different shape case and considerably less expensive watch. When contacted, Armitron has provided a return shipping label and supposedly is shipping the correct item but this is still a royal PITA! I have had much better results ordering Armitron watches from Amazon, and at a lower cost. Unfortunately the Tetra, along with some other watch models, is only available direct from Armitron at the moment.
The replacement watch has not arrived and when Armitron was contacted this morning I was informed that they goofed up and it would ship today, over a week later than originally promised! My experience of direct ordering from Armitron has been totally unsatisfactory so far. Promised shipment was 12/28 and actual shipment is now supposed to be 1/6, after recontacting them, but the provided UPS tracking number is not yet working. Further posting when the replacement watch arrives, if it does. This has been a total PITA!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts