Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am. I was brought that way, so I blame it on mom. Some examples of my infatuation with famous brands: Oakley sunglasses, Nike and Adidas athletic apparel, (when I was playing baseball) Wilson gloves, UnderArmor undershirt under my jersey, UnderArmor socks, (fishing gear) Seeker or Calstar rods and Shimano, Daiwa, and Avet reels.
I guess everyone uses/ wears some type of "brand", but do you prefer a certain brand over another for a particular reason?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I am but it is not because my parents were, it is because my parents were not.

My Father was a GM employee form the 1950-to-1974 when he had a medical retirement. My Mother was always the home-maker.

Even though my Father brought in good money, he would buy only used junk, in my opinion you can see if I am correct.

When I grew up, we had a 25" B&W TV until I was about 3-4, I don't know where it came from, but I would venture to guess it was used.

IT burned out many tubes and when it finally died completely, around 1964, we got a used 19" color and put it on top of the console.

Then about every other year he would bring in another replacement 19"-24" used TV to replace the dead one and place it on top of the original console.

Window air conditioner units would be replaced about every other year with another used one.

Washers and dryers would be replaced about every other or third year with another used unit or set.

Cars, trucks, motor-cycles, and yard and garden tractorswere always used and traded through on a regular basis, yearly or whenever he could sell one, he would then go buy another used replacement. This is the exception, he claimed to be making $$$ on these sales and trades.

Small appliances were always used and cycled through as needed with other used units.

This went on with my Father my entire life. I could not seem to get it through his head that after he had bought these used items four or five times over a five year period, he has lost any savings he had by not buying a new unit in the first place.

When I started working and making if on my own, I bought my Mother a brand new GE 25" Stereo Console Color TV in 1985, she still watches it daily and it has not been serviced even once.

I later bought her a brand new Amana washer & dryer set in 1989. This lasted with maybe two "Under Warranty" service calls until 2003. The dryer died completely, still have the washer as a back-up in my external garage. I then bought her a new Maytag set and she and I both still use these weekly, no service calls yet.

MostlyI will only buy new brand name, somethings like a car, used can be OK.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

Yes, I am & I tend to be a bit of a snob too...I believe the common term when referring to me would be, "Duchess is a lil' snot".

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

Yep......brand names are where it is at imo. I tend to find lesser quality if a brand name is not attached for some reason.

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
imported post

Really not into brand names although I seem to have alot of "stuff" that is "branded". I just buy what I like or what I feel will best fit the scenerio that I'm looking for a particular item for. Being old, is for me being "Old School". LOL.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

yeah, i hate to say it, but im a brand whore.......i wont really wear anything that is not a name brand really........i dont really wear sneakers anymore, but if i do buy a pair, its usually nikes, my tactical boots are usually magnums, i pretty much only wear american eagle jeans, and alot of their shirts, affliction shirts , harley davidson jackets, mark nason boots(very cool)......and my hats are usually hurley hats or one of the other brands, like kangol, or something like that...........reason being.....most of the time, the higher end name brands, are the ones that have the style and fit of what i like.....and the quality........so thats what i want.........

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

I wasn't really brought up with name brands, as a kid my parents would buy groceries and it was the black and white generic brands. Clothes were no name brands up until i got into middle school, and it had to be levis 501 jeans and vans shoe's. As I got older it was all about skateboard brands and still wear them to this day. Eg: Vans, Es, Zoo York, Etnies, Emerica, Falllen, DC, basically anything and everything that is skateboarding and snowboarding..

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Not at all really, there is a time and a place for them and they have value in some cases.

Example#1
Oakley sungless, I have a pair and I have 30 other cheap inexpensive glasses that I like more.

Example #2
Shoes, I wear Nike shoes mainly because my wife has a employee card, but If I had too pay big money for shoes I would never buy them.

Now when it comes to Cars/Motorcycle building the name isnt nearly as important as the quality. There are a tremendous amount of equipment out there that is better then the brand name stuff.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
I wasn't really brought up with name brands, as a kid my parents would buy groceries and it was the black and white generic brands. Clothes were no name brands up until i got into middle school, and it had to be levis 501 jeans and vans shoe's. As I got older it was all about skateboard brands and still wear them to this day. Eg: Vans, Es, Zoo York, Etnies, Emerica, Falllen, DC, basically anything and everything that is skateboarding and snowboarding..
Same here Den, I rocked the Vans and 501's in middle school as well. Matter of fact, still rockin' the Levi's to this day. It's gotta be Silver tab baggy. Can't do the fashion brands Coogi, Ecko, Sean John, etc.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
DenFromNM wrote:
Same here Den, I rocked the Vans and 501's in middle school as well. Matter of fact, still rockin' the Levi's to this day. It's gotta be Silver tab baggy. Can't do the fashion brands Coogi, Ecko, Sean John, etc.

Yeah don't do Coogi, Ecko, Sean John, etc., ButI do rock the skatebrands. Gotta friend that works for Industrial skate shop and hooks me up good with the discounts, and whenever I can find a good deal at Burlington coat factory. I won't pay more than 20 bucks for a pair of jeans.

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
imported post

All that I care about is quality...it doesn't matter the name. If I buy a Mercedes Benz it is because of the build quality, not the name...just like watches. Some people may think that it is because of the name and that is fine with me...but not the truth.

It is like anything...quality is important...be it a watch, car or watch forum, if it is built on horsecrap it isn't worth anything.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

necklace for you Tuna

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

Duchess wrote:
Yes, I am & I tend to be a bit of a snob too...I believe the common term when referring to me would be, "Duchess is a lil' snot".
I don't make a habit of quoting myself & I meant to come back yesterday & correct this but, I forgot...I'm not really a lil' snot and as far as I know others don't look at me as one, I'm actually considered kind & gracious by those that know me, I was feeling a little snarky when I made that comment...It is my hope that one day you guys will come to know the difference when I'm joking & when I'm not...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

It's funny, when I was growing up my Dad did very well yet we really didn't buy things because of the name. We bought what worked and what was a good deal. As we got older, the name brands started coming. Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Polo, Izod, Channel and you get the point. I used to be a lable whore but the older I get, the less I seem to be into the name game. I buy what I like and what offers a good deal to me. If that happens to be a name brand, then that's OK too.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I rarely wore name brands as a kid because things were always "tight" (my father was a "often laid-off" steel worker). It's not that I wasn't aware of name brands, but I wasn't raised to covet them. I was told that whatever I ended up with was "just as good" as the brands that I could name (and wanted). I rarely believed it, but could do nothing about it.

Since becoming an adult (and working my way into a position to afford "what I wanted"), I have gone in and out of phases where I would buy stuff because of the name. In most cases, I don't really care, but with some items, I like to try and buy "the best". "The best" typically comes with a brand name that we all know. However, I strive to end up with something quality, even if it's a brand that I've never heard of.

I have come to find that not all brand names are created equal, in some instances, the "no-names" that I've encountered have been much better quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts