Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Newbie....first Breitling...first post....first question :D
I recently purchased my first new Breitling, the patrouille de france limited edition.
Upon close examination of the polished ss case back, I noticed what looks like brush marks/scratches that run across the entire back. Hopefully you can see some of what I'm referring to from pic's. You have to look close in the right lighting to see it. Is this normal? Or is it a return that was polished? Would appreciate your expertise, as I have 30 days to return.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Those are scratches and aren't supposed to be there. I'd send it back

Welcome to WF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks like it was a floor sample or demo to me. Absolutely shouldnt be there.

On a new, expensive watch Id be upset too. If you love the watch, exchange it or at least contact the seller.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yup, that's not normal. Should have a mirror finish if new and should have had a plastic film covering the case back.Did you buy the watch from an authorized dealer? I would be returning that unless you got it for a steal.

That's a gorgeous watch by the way. Also, welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new here myself but there are a lot of decent folks here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys!
It does look like a perfect mirror finish....until you look at it closely, under the right lighting...then it shows as in the pics i posted.
The watch arrived with a piece of plastic film wrapped around buckle, and one piece wrapped around face and back, no separate round piece attached to case back.
Retail price was $8,100. I purchased it from thewatchery.com for $4,500 (with coupons). serial # is intact, came with original box & manuals, including 5yr Breitling warranty booklet, however since thewatchery is not an AD, a 2 yr. ILS Warranty covers it.
I will be contacting them Monday!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys!
It does look like a perfect mirror finish....until you look at it closely, under the right lighting...then it shows as in the pics i posted.
The watch arrived with a piece of plastic film wrapped around buckle, and one piece wrapped around face and back, no separate round piece attached to case back.
Retail price was $8,100. I purchased it from thewatchery.com for $4,500 (with coupons). serial # is intact, came with original box & manuals, including 5yr Breitling warranty booklet, however since thewatchery is not an AD, a 2 yr. ILS Warranty covers it.
I will be contacting them Monday!
welcome to WF-

joining the greek chorus-looks like scratches-

many of us have learned- there is no MANDATORY DISCLOSURE on returns-exchanges-

also, gray market means a dealer on another continent may have fingered this tool-

in any event-should be mirror glass not a streaker

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looks like they are micro scratches. The watch appears to have been previously worn IMO. Probably someone else took it back and the dealer forgot to polish out the marks before he sold it to you.

Whatever price you paid for this, the watch was sold to you as new, so it should be free of all marks, scratches, deformities.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
True, the scratches would not be there if purchased new from an AD... BUT you have to ask yourself: Did I get a great deal and do I really care if there are some fine scratches on the polished case back that no one sees and can easily be polished out. After all, the case back can be scratched simply by letting the bracelet rub against it. That could happen if for example you took the watch off and stuffed it into your pocket. One reason why I prefer any finish over a highly polished one... BUT they can be restored.

If the watch runs well and otherwise does not have any visible defects keep it!
You're going to scratch it sooner or later unless you plan on keeping it in a box.
JMHO :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Common sense
Grey market, possibly a watch AD moved to GM chum as it was "used" for showing
Hence you choose to save money and be placed in a no service from Breitling
It's part of the deal when you buy new GM or ?

Are you going to put it the box or keep in a safe? I wear mine even when outside gardening
Those scratches are easily removed

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like scratches to me, but when you where this watch and set it on your dresser, you'll get these scratches anyways. So I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the recent feedback guys!
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), after reading the first few replies, I sent it back for a refund 3 months ago.
This particular watch seems to be getting bounced around quite often! Believe it or not, I just found it on ebay. I know it's the same one I had because of the limited edition number listed. This is the only new one that seems to be available, and the website I purchased it from sold it once....then it must have been returned since it was listed again. That's when I purchased it....& returned it...and it was listed again....sold again...and now listed on ebay & craigslist by a private seller!:eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like an unloved and unwanted love child!! :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts