Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Excluding those quartz watches (where you press a button and the dial lights up - using battery power), are there any watches that truly shine through the night?

50 years ago, using nuke paint, they did a fair job, but still not to my satisfaction. Today, many will initially glow brightly (such as my Lorus Lumibrite) but then quickly fade down. My old(er) eyes are needing nighttime assistance.

SO HELP, I'm looking for something like I have on many of my handguns, providing 10+ year long usable lighting..

·
Registered
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
147 Posts
Excluding those quartz watches (where you press a button and the dial lights up - using battery power), are there any watches that truly shine through the night?

50 years ago, using nuke paint, they did a fair job, but still not to my satisfaction. Today, many will initially glow brightly (such as my Lorus Lumibrite) but then quickly fade down. My old(er) eyes are needing nighttime assistance.

SO HELP, I'm looking for something like I have on many of my handguns, providing 10 year long usable lighting..
Doxa is good. Strong movement with cosc, and solid lume.

Here is an article: 10 Best Lume Watches For Men You Can Buy 2021
Personally I would pick the Tag from this list of 10 watches.

·
3,106 Posts
You may want to look into watches using tritium tubes. Otherwise, Seiko has long been known for great lume even in their lower priced models. Divers in particular.

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
Wrascal, Aidross, and Eric already made some fantastic
recommendations. 🥇🥇 And you know, a lot of brands
have great lume really. With Seiko, and Citizen maybe
having some of the best regular lume off the top of my
head. But I was also going to say that brands who use
Tritium tubes like Luminox, and Traser might be perfect
for you. 😀😉

Because both of the brands have such a variety of watches,
and you are bound to hopefully find something you like from
them. They are just really cool too ! 😎

Luminox USA

Home - traser Watches

Oh, and Lum-Tec is another brand that comes to mind
when it comes to lume. 😊

Lum-Tec Watches

Really hope you have fun looking around out there !

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies,
but ... I guess I should have provided additional want details...

cheap (under $100)
smallish (36-40mm)
plain face / no complications
newspaper colors (black or white)

·
Watch Freek
579 Posts
Wrascal, Aragon quite often has some serious sales and many of their models are very lumed up. I got my tritium Aragon automatic for around $160 and that lume lasts 20+ years. Unfortunately, most of their models are large, but apparently they’re moving towards some smaller 40mm models soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank You Dubya, I found something there that Surprisingly I Like. I say surprisingly because it is totally out of character for me / it's opposite everything I gravitate to.

Its huge (50mm), its colorful (Blue), it only comes with a bracelet and it's more than I want to spend ($345 - for such a limited purpose); yet it appeals to me.

Runner up ($169) : https://www.aragonwatch.com/ARAGON_M50_T100_Tritium_Tubes_Automatic_p/a412wht.htm

Primarily BEDTIME Use: need to contemplate if I'm man enough to wear something this big (wrist 7.75")
AND if I can substitute the bracelet (24mm) for something lighter - like leather or other?
Last dilema, sneaking it past the chairwoman.

I believe Ray Charles would see these two!

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I see no way to send a private message, so guess I'll go public.

To Dubya @ maybe SF, with a bridge pic ...
I'm speculating that means you're (in/ nearby) San Fran.

My bride landed there yesterday. Today she toured Tahoe (sent me some snow pics). She'll be spending about 10 days there, touring with another Alabama friend. They're gonna take in some wine country visits, some whale viewing tours, and a hot air balloon ride, or two. I prefer to stay at home with my puppy dog and visiting a local gun range.

I once spent nearly a week there, locked in an Army warehouse (Oakland, 1972), awaiting shipment overseas. On my return I was greeted by hecklers, they called me a baby killer. Not too much fun.

To date I've never killed anyone.

·
Watch Freek
579 Posts
I see no way to send a private message, so guess I'll go public.

To Dubya @ maybe SF, with a bridge pic ...
I'm speculating that means you're (in/ nearby) San Fran.

My bride landed there yesterday. Today she toured Tahoe (sent me some snow pics). She'll be spending about 10 days there, touring with another Alabama friend. They're gonna take in some wine country visits, some whale viewing tours, and a hot air balloon ride, or two. I prefer to stay at home with my puppy dog and visiting a local gun range.

I once spent nearly a week there, locked in an Army warehouse (Oakland, 1972), awaiting shipment overseas. On my return I was greeted by hecklers, they called me a baby killer. Not too much fun.

To date I've never killed anyone.
I hope your wife has a great time! There’s lots to see & do in the Bay Area. I’m sorry to hear of your experience here; it is a very liberal area and many people are quite judgmental and unkind in the delivery of their opinions and beliefs.

In response to your earlier post, I’m glad you found something you like, even if it is out of your norm. I love my tritium Aragon and the quality is apparent in their watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,617 Posts
Thanks for all the replies,
but ... I guess I should have provided additional want details...

cheap (under $100)
smallish (36-40mm)
plain face / no complications
newspaper colors (black or white)
Oops, sorry about that Wrascal. Yup, most of those watch companies
I suggested go over that price. But hey, at least you have everyone's
suggestions for down the road. (y)😀 ..Oh, and wow, you actually got
an Aragon thanks to Dubya, and it's now on the way ! 😮

Have only heard good things about them. 😉 ..Very cool !

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I decided to take a $39 gamble (no sales tax, free shipping) and ordered the above Vulcanized blue Borealis Rubber Strap. If something better turns up I'll still consider it - but now at least I have something underway. Please excuse me but ... yeah, I dislike (heavy / clunky) bracelets just that much, even if they're quality bracelets.

I found lots of (mostly favorable) Borealis Rubber strap reviews, going back to 2015. One reviewer (in a heavy foreign accent) indicated it was a company located in Portugal, with a typical American delivery time of two weeks. And that may be correct as my returned emailed sales slip was in an unknown language (but at least it used "our" common alphabet vs. all those swear word letterings).

Now I'm looking to pour a Vodka. Cheers!

·
14,096 Posts
I decided to take a $39 gamble (no sales tax, free shipping) and ordered the above Vulcanized blue Borealis Rubber Strap. If something better turns up I'll still consider it - but now at least I have something underway. Please excuse me but ... yeah, I dislike (heavy / clunky) bracelets just that much, even if they're quality bracelets.

I found lots of (mostly favorable) Borealis Rubber strap reviews, going back to 2015. One reviewer (in a heavy foreign accent) indicated it was a company located in Portugal, with a typical American delivery time of two weeks. And that may be correct as my emailed sales slip was in an unknown language (but at least it used "our" common alphabet).

Now I'm looking to pour a Vodka. Cheers!
I think you’ll be impressed with the strap. I’ve owned many and they’re very high quality especially considering the price. Borealis is definitely located in Portugal, but the strap is made in China

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive info; I better trust members who've been there - vs. unknown reviews from the net.

And China I feel, often takes an American beating; principally because OUR importing businessmen demand CHEAP products to fill our shelves. It really reminds me of back in the 60's when we (Americans) beat down on the Japanese goods being imported. That opinion eventually changed (for the positive).

If China can safely send men (and women) into outer-space, then obviously they can make quality products if asked for. I hope these Portuguese retailers demand a higher quality.

The other day I ordered (and received) some (Amazon) $15 toenail clippers - and they appear to be of very high quality (rivaling Japanese, German tools). There were NO stampings on them to indicate 'nationality', but the box had a simple label, marked China.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts