Watch Freeks banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3,197 Posts
Sadly..I believe the drop in sales is likely due to young people using their cell phones to check the time. Most young people I know have a cell phone glued to their hand and see wearing a watch as redundant.

"The times they are a changin" Bob Dylan

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Well i guess ill have to start purchasing more watches.

Seriously, without access to all the data there is nowway to know. iMO this reads like and promotional ad for apple. How can you not include data from Amazon and others. I am not saying one way or another I am just saying if i were to write that article id include a bit more data. If you dont its not a clear picture and open to interpretation.

Most U.S. watch sales data is limited to exports of Swiss watches to that market, which don’t measure sales to consumers
NPD’s U.S. watch data estimates sales of about 70 brands from Timex to Harry Winston through department stores, national chains and independent jewelers. It doesn’t include boutiques owned by watch brands, supermarket chains such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc. or online retailers such as Amazon.com Inc. NPD’s luxury tracker was formerly known as LGI Network.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Apple Watch -- Market Impact

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-s-watch-sales-to-biggest-drop-in-seven-years

U.S. watch sales fell the most in seven years in June, one of the first signs Apple Inc.’s watch is eroding demand for traditional timepieces.

Retailers sold $375 million of watches during the month, 11 percent less than in June 2014, according to data from*NPD Group. The 14 percent decline in unit sales was the largest since 2008, according to Fred Levin, head of the market researcher’s luxury division.

“The Apple Watch is going to gain a significant amount of penetration,” he said Thursday in a phone interview. “The first couple of years will be difficult for watches in fashion categories.”

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sadly..I believe the drop in sales is likely due to young people using their cell phones to check the time. Most young people I know have a cell phone glued to their hand and see wearing a watch as redundant.

"The times they are a changin" Bob Dylan
Yes, I can see that, but from my own experience, there are so many situations where it's just too cumbersome and troublesome to reach for my phone in order to check the time:

- Walking the dog: holding leash, treats, poop bags, etc., physically impossible to hold my phone at the same time.

- Working outside or in the garage: getting my hands all dirty, don't want that dirt/grease/grime to get on my phone.

- Riding my bike, jogging, or even going for a walk: don't want to take my hands off the handle bars, be overly distracted by looking at the phone, or even risk dropping it while on a walk or a run.

And there are other situations as well that young people must be confronted with just like we old farts.

They/We still need wristwatches in our lives!

·
6,403 Posts
I live in a completely different and to outsiders sometimes contradicting universe. I love gadgets, am on my third iMac, third iPad and fourth iPhone. Out hot water kettle has a WiFi connection so that it can be controlled with an app and that app also uses geofencing. Closer than 1 KM to home and within a certain time window? Then it turns itself on so you can make tea as soon as you enter (we don't use that but it works :D). I have a Dutch home automation platform that automatically turns on the lights half an hour before sun down, just set and forget. It also turns on the Nespresso machine just before I get up to go to work. It controls the security camera aimed at the front door and sends out text messages during our vacations or when we are not at home triggered by motion detection. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

But...... My watches are mechanical anachronisms. I'm slowly saying goodbye to most of my quartz watches bar the Seventies LED watch and the incoming Enigma. I know the atomic clock app on my iPhone which synchronises with network time servers (and they are regulated by a string of Caesium atomic clocks) provides for an accuracy that cannot be matched by no mechanical watch in the world is the logical way. But not my way.

I must have a mechanical watch 'round my wrist, I feel bare without. Yes, it must be wound (by movement of the wrist or by hand), yes, the date must be set several times per year and yes, it loses seconds every day. For accurate time keeping purposes it fails in our high tech and fast paced world.

But for providing a smile on my face, for giving me purpose, for contemplation and even pride there's nothing that can match my old fashioned and redundant mechanical watches. Peace out :D

·
3,197 Posts
Yes, I can see that, but from my own experience, there are so many situations where it's just too cumbersome and troublesome to reach for my phone in order to check the time:

- Walking the dog: holding leash, treats, poop bags, etc., physically impossible to hold my phone at the same time.

- Working outside or in the garage: getting my hands all dirty, don't want that dirt/grease/grime to get on my phone.

- Riding my bike, jogging, or even going for a walk: don't want to take my hands off the handle bars, be overly distracted by looking at the phone, or even risk dropping it while on a walk or a run.

And there are other situations as well that young people must be confronted with just like we old farts.

They/We still need wristwatches in our lives!
Yes..you and I see things about the same way,I grew up wearing a watch and I feel naked without it. Also...I don't want to be fetching my cell phone out of my pocket just to see the time. Obviously...the younger generation do not see the inconvenience since they have their cell phone glued to their hand most of the time. I'm retired so I rarely use my cell phone,thus it has not become an appendage of my body like my watch ..:) Also...I'm a very punctual person and I take pride in never being late for an appointment. Many young people do not fancy that sort of regimentation. I look at my watch at least four times per hour and it's easier for me to just look at my wrist than dig out my cell that often.

At the end of the day...the times are changing,even my jeweler mentioned that watches are fading out. He's seen a drop in business and I believe him,so many young people just don't wear them at all. I wear a watch out of habit and practicality,I also have a fond appreciation for beautiful craftsmanship and engineering. To each his own as to what method they prefer to track time. I'll stick with beauty,engineering and what's practical for me.

·
6,403 Posts
Yes..you and I see things about the same way,I grew up wearing a watch and I feel naked without it. Also...I don't want to be fetching my cell phone out of my pocket just to see the time. Obviously...the younger generation do not see the inconvenience since they have their cell phone glued to their hand most of the time. I'm retired so I rarely use my cell phone,thus it has not become an appendage of my body like my watch ..:) Also...I'm a very punctual person and I take pride in never being late for an appointment. Many young people do not fancy that sort of regimentation. I look at my watch at least four times per hour and it's easier for me to just look at my wrist than dig out my cell that often.

At the end of the day...the times are changing,even my jeweler mentioned that watches are fading out. He's seen a drop in business and I believe him,so many young people just don't wear them at all. I wear a watch out of habit and practicality,I also have a fond appreciation for beautiful craftsmanship and engineering. To each his own as to what method they prefer to track time. I'll stick with beauty,engineering and what's practical for me.
+10! That's why I'm about to give my son in law a present in the form of a mechanical dive watch. I haven't received it yet and only my wife knows. He's in doubt (Smart Phone user), I have to steer him to the right path :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts