Watch Freeks banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Never owned one, but for some reason I do not remember Reactor watches being that expensive.

They were never my style, to busy and honestly trying to hard to look rugged. I know a few people here on the forum used to swear by them instead of watches like G-Shocks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never owned one, but for some reason I do not remember Reactor watches being that expensive.

They were never my style, to busy and honestly trying to hard to look rugged. I know a few people here on the forum used to swear by them instead of watches like G-Shocks.
The reason I posted it is I have a Reactor Atom. It's a nice grab and go with simple design but I might have considered it in an automatic. Funny you say that in your post I went through two G-Shocks failing right out of warranty so I tried Reactor and their service is quite good. Guys I work with swear by G-Shocks but for me no luck with them. There is a site out there for military members where you can get Reactors with a good discount.

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
The reason I posted it is I have a Reactor Atom. It's a nice grab and go with simple design but I might have considered it in an automatic. Funny you say that in your post I went through two G-Shocks failing right out of warranty so I tried Reactor and their service is quite good. Guys I work with swear by G-Shocks but for me no luck with them. There is a site out there for military members where you can get Reactors with a good discount.
I've had great experience with G-Shocks although I don't really wear them anymore. I literally rolled over one with a tracked vehicle while I was in Iraq back in '03. Display still worked, but it ruined the shroud and band. Sent Casio a letter, and they sent me a care package with two brand new models to replace it with :) I kept one and traded the other for a pair of Ray Bans! Great CS at the time (mostly because of the situation I was in of course).

I've heard good things about Reactor CS here on Watch Freeks, if you search far enough back you will likely find quite a few posts of peoples experience.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I owned 2 in the past. Purchased them when I was new to this addiction. At the time I didn't know any better as I had only bought Seikos up to that point. A neutron and gamma. Both quartz.

Now having owned more brands...My opinion. Overpriced. They are worth a fraction of the quoted MSRP. The finishing on the cases left a lot to be desired. On my Neutron the case edges had excess material and needed more finishing. And the Gamma bracelet end link needed some sanding as it would rub the link below and get stuck in an odd position.

If you really like them, make sure to find a deal on them.

Otherwise, if it were me, I would rather spend on any of the other micros like: Helson, Armida, Borealis, Karlskrona...and even a Seiko or Orient before I would buy another Reactor, automatic movement or not.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Went to the Reactor website and it seems pretty unsettling that nowhere to do they seem to mention what movements power their watches, nor even any details about them at all (jewels, reserve capacity, BPH nothing).

I'd also consider it unsettling that they don't make mention of the crystals. At that price I would assume they are sapphire, but since they don't mention them at all, I'm thinking they are not.

Copyright notice on the site hasn't been updated to reflect 2016.

All details reviewed seem to point to a very overpriced fashion watch attempting to pass for something else.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Never heard of them. What makes them so special (and pricey) ?
They look pretty good, have a solid movement (Miyota 9015) titanium case and bracelet and sapphire crystal. That would account for the pricing.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
6,387 Posts
Went to the Reactor website and it seems pretty unsettling that nowhere to do they seem to mention what movements power their watches, nor even any details about them at all (jewels, reserve capacity, BPH nothing).

I'd also consider it unsettling that they don't make mention of the crystals. At that price I would assume they are sapphire, but since they don't mention them at all, I'm thinking they are not.

Copyright notice on the site hasn't been updated to reflect 2016.

All details reviewed seem to point to a very overpriced fashion watch attempting to pass for something else.

The link the OP gave gives all the specs on this watch

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a reactor watch-trident I think. I've probably had about six years and I wear all the time. It is the only watch I wear scuba diving in-it probably has 200 or more scuba dives on it. I had one problem with it about two years after I owned it-just out of warranty. I sent it back they took care of it no charge. I'm very satisfied

·
4,210 Posts
Garrick:
I own the Reactor 6000 b1. Built like a Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
Spot on accuracy. My Scuba diving son gives it a thumbs up.

One of the online sites has the Reactor Heavy Water at a clearance
price point. But I seem to recall some negativity concerning the
watch. Comfortability issues to be specific.

Other wise I'm as big a fan of Reactor as I am of Deep Blue.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, they are probably overpriced, but are very robust watches. I own the Photon and Neutron, but in all honesty, they don't get too much wrist time. I bought them on a whim when Dillard's went out of business for a about $60 each. They've actually gotten more conservative in terms of design over the years, but their early efforts are way over the top IMO. They seem pretty well made to me and their warranty is supposed to be excellent. There's no way I would pay full boat retail for them though, even if you really dig their design direction.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'll never throw stones at Reactor in favor of other brands
"Isn't seemly" as they say in the movies.
If ya gotta problem with Reactor? Don't buy em.

Lou Snutt
AMEN, Brotha.

Now I've gotta admit, I have many Reactors in my collection. I've always been drawn to the robust & unique designs. However, the most compelling attraction is: They're always available to answer the phone. The company has a top notch customer service attitude. Need help with a defect? call them. Want some extra links for your bracelet? call them. Want to buy a new band for your Critical Mass? Yup, they are there...a phone call away. It's awesome.
Say what you like about pricing (you can always find good deals on ebay or the outlet store) but you will definitely get your monies worth from a Reactor watch.
No I do not work for them. so stop asking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.