Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was traveling on a WV interstate on my way to Pittsburgh Friday evening and it was raining cats and dogs. Raining so hard I slowed to about 40-45 mph. Then it happened....hydro-plane going down one of the steepest hills on that section of interstate and off into the grass I went and all I saw was the guardrail of the on-ramp. Everything slowed down almost like slow motion replay....seemed like forever to think about your family and everything important to you. Well obviously everything worked out as I am here to post this thread. However, my car is most definitely totaled. There was a brief moment when I thought to myself that's it...it's over.

Anyone else have one of those moments?

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

thank goodness you are ok Mike. that is horrible. did you hit any other cars?
thank goodness again that you are not hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
thank goodness you are ok Mike. that is horrible. did you hit any other cars?
thank goodness again that you are not hurt.
No just landed on top of a guardrail and took out a good portion of it as well. A couple of wild things about this whole event was that not a minute after I came to rest another car came down the same spot and stopped just short of my car. The other as I was being transported to the local ER I was told by EMS personnel that I was extremely lucky in that one of their friends had just wrecked in the exact same spot a week earlier and did not make it. Everyone was very surprised that I came out of the whole ordeal with some cracked ribs and a few bumps and bruises.

Needless to say resulted in my lack of activity over the past few days.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I would say you have a good excuse, lol. Well I am VERY happy again to know that you are basically OK!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

TVDinner wrote:
I would say you have a good excuse, lol. Well I am VERY happy again to know that you are basically OK!
Thanks James. I am very curious if anyone else has had one of these type of experiences and wants to share. Can be very helpful to talk about it because talking about it the last couple days has helped me a whole lot.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear what happened to you. I hope you will heal quickly and be 100% well, very soon. Very happy to hear you are on the mend. ....Bob

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Mike - to answer your question I have had "one of those moments" where it could be "all over" a few times.

I travel a lot for business and have been on some of the scariest and literally "worst turbulence you can experience without actually crashing" plane flights a few times. Each time we "dropped" what felt like hundreds of feet in a second. In reality the plane just hopped over rough air pockets or the pilot made quick decisions on how high to fly the plane to avoid the rough air or storms. BUT when everyone on a plane starts screaming, and some people actually start instantaneously crying, and the oxygen masks fall down from above everyone's head - it can be very scary.

This has only happened a few times thankfully, and now I actually am used to these moments, but it is normally then when I quickly review my life, and what could be potentially and quickly lost.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

I sorta/kinda had a moment like that but, I was unaware of the seriousness of the situation...I was out walking in the woods with Cowboy & my beagle and she stirred up a yellow jacket nest, the bees swarmed me, I only felt the first sting but, I was stung over 70 times and it was when I was in the ER that I was told I had an allergy to stings...When I couldn't breathe without a major effort I thought it was because I had just run across a field, I didn't realize it was because all my breathing passages were swelling shut...So, now I have to carry an epi-pen at all times.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

WOW . . . what a scare! I'm glad to hear that you are OK. WOW!

I can't recall experiencing something similar, but I can imagine the emotions that you went through!

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Duchess wrote:
I sorta/kinda had a moment like that but, I was unaware of the seriousness of the situation...I was out walking in the woods with Cowboy & my beagle and she stirred up a yellow jacket nest, the bees swarmed me, I only felt the first sting but, I was stung over 70 times and it was when I was in the ER that I was told I had an allergy to stings...When I couldn't breathe without a major effort I thought it was because I had just run across a field, I didn't realize it was because all my breathing passages were swelling shut...So, now I have to carry an epi-pen at all times.
Wow. I have been stung by a few while mowing but your story is amazing. 70 stings and allergic. You probably look for the little buggers now. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

It sounds so much worse than it actually was...It helped that I was completely & utterly clueless about anaphylactic shock...Now, about the only timeI give it any thought is when I check tomake sure my epi-pen hasn't expired...I thought going off the road the way you did sounded way more frightening.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Duchess wrote:
It sounds so much worse than it actually was...It helped that I was completely & utterly clueless about anaphylactic shock...Now, about the only timeI give it any thought is when I check tomake sure my epi-pen hasn't expired...I thought going off the road the way you did sounded way more frightening.
Now that I have had a few days to think about it the biggest issue was loss of control. I tend to like to be in control of things and in that situation I was utterly helpless and had absolutely no control. Keep checking that epi-pen.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Glad to here your are OK.

No, I have never had an accident where any major damages was done to my vehicle or myself.

Not bragging, but you ever heard of the movie Unbreakable?

That's me, 48 years old, millions of miles under my belt and never a broken bone, a serious illness, accident, or any loss of limb or life.

I thank God for my blessings and health.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Glad you came out of that OK UKW!!
I was cliff diving with some friends and on one particular dive you really had to push off to clear the rocks below. On my last dive I slipped during the push off...I saw the rocks and knew I would hit but somehow missed them by I imagine inches. As I was falling time stopped.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Yes sure did...I actually had the same thing happen to me in the snow but did not wreck thank god...just spun out into the middle of the interstate directly into the grass. Then i did something stupid when i was much younger. I was racing a mustang cobra on the FDR hwy in NYC doing xxx mph and when it came time to turn onto the Brooklyn bridge I tried to make the turn but my car slid like it was on ice and i headed directly for the divider and hit almost head on and my car went up on 2 wheels. When that was all said and done and everyone realized they were alive..yes i had passengers...thank god we did not die...my chassis bent all the way to my oil pan but did not blow the tires out...lol...I actually drove home...that was the scariest thing that ever happened to me. I learned my lesson after that and never raced or drove like that again...I could have killed my 3 passengers and myself. Lesson learned the hard way...So too all you fast driving...racing guys or gals...its not worth it keep it for the track...oh and by the way i was driving a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
imported post

Glad you're ok man.

Had a similar situation a couple years ago. Had the Mustang at the track making some passes one night, and had a buddy convince me to stay and make a another one even though rain was coming. I did (ran a personal best on the old motor combo) and tore out for home trying to beat the rain. Wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was on Mickey Thompson slicks. Half way home it started to rain. The car started skating like it was on ice even though I had slowed to about 30mph on the freeway. I went to merge onto I-65 and the sky opened up and started pouring. I spotted a group on semis bearing down on me in the rearview mirror. While trying to slow enough to pull off, the car broke loose and started a series of 360's across four lanes of the interstate and oncoming rigs. They laid on the air horns and by the grace of God managed to dart around me without so much as a scratch. When the car finally stopped I was sitting perpedicular with the concrete center barrier less than an itch from my side mirror. I went to the next exit and took back roads home. The 15 minute drive from that point still took me an hour, white knuckling the wheel and shaking all the way home.

Had those semis hit me, there wouldn't have been anything left to bury.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Sept 11 2001 i was 2 blocks away form the WTC-

i left my building and was looking up right at the twin towers burning - could almost feel the heat of the flames

anyway -a strange sound started and i was puzzled, couldnt figure out what it was -it was like boom boom boom boom
it was the pancake effect of the floors falling on each other - one of the towers was collapsing on itself

someone grabbed me and told me to run the building was falling -and i ran

it was almost like being in a movie theatre -cause it didnt feel real eventhough i was right there

weird

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Mike

did you have a spiritual event?? flashing of life before you etc
any kind of light or beings ??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts