Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a watch at a small shop, dust-covered box on the back of a shelf.

The only web references I can find were from 2008-2009 and only one was exactly the same, the others were black-faced, rubber mounted models.

This watch was NIB and for $50 out the door, I couldn't resist.

Any idea how to find out when it was manufactured and more info about the watch?

Model: LUG15003W4
Movement: UG15-C1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As Orient is owned by Seiko, my understanding is that they use the same serial number logic. That is, the first digit is the year of manufacture, the second digit is the month. Or vice versa - Google is your friend.
According to an email from Orient, there is no way to determine the date of manufacture using the serial number.

You may be right and it may be obfuscation (inventory management, not wanting folks to worry about buying a 1 year old watch vs a 1 month old) but they deny it... :)

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
527 Posts
According to an email from Orient, there is no way to determine the date of manufacture using the serial number.

Thanks anyway!
Oh! That's definitely news to me. Thanks for the information.

By the way, did you contact Orient or Orient Watch USA? OWUSA is a laughable clown organisation with a Mickey Mouse understanding of watches. Always go through Orient.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh! That's definitely news to me. Thanks for the information.

By the way, did you contact Orient or Orient Watch USA? OWUSA is a laughable clown organisation with a Mickey Mouse understanding of watches. Always go through Orient.
It wasn't my email, it was a thread on another forum, though it did go to Japan. Here is the email and response:

Dear Mr .Nathan
Thank you for your e-mail.
Unfortunaltely , you can not distinguish date of manufacture by serial number.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best Regards,
Orient Watch Co., Ltd.
Tokyo, Japan
Customer Relations
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:40 PM
To: ORIENT WATCH CO.,LTD.
Subject: Orient Date of Manufacture...

Hello.

I am hoping you can tell me how to date an Orient watch. Is there a way to determine what year model an Orient watch was manufactured, perhaps by the serial number?

Many thanks

Nathan
(Australia)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A new bit of info.... furious googling on everything and anything.

The bracelet endlinks are both stamped "KDBUYSS" and the only reference I can find to that code is for an Orient OEM replacement stainless bracelet... on a Russian watch band website!

How's that for obscure? Heh..... :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nathan (Kew) is one of the most knowledgeable Orient guys out there. It wouldn't hurt to drop him a PM at WUS. While you're at it, please tell him Recliner says hi and he is missed at Hattori!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hot diggity dang Solcum.
How come I never stumble onto bargains like you did?
Awesome and LUCKY acquisition. I have 2 Orient Makos.

X traindriver Art
There is a Jewelry mecca here in Miami. 5 square blocks of Wholesale diamond dealers, jewelry shops and watch shops. 50+ watch sellers from major high-end to mom & pop.

Spent yesterday down there finding the perfect diamond and setting for my wife (Anniversary) and, coincidentally ;) browsing watches.

Picked up a Bulova Accutron II Snorkel for under retail, and found this as well. Good day all around! :clapping-hands-abov

Looks good on a Nato, and good lume too.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Slocum:
Ww are kinda short on watch meccas here in N E Texas
I aver that Orient would look good with bailing wire for
a strap. Jus my 2 cents worth
I have my Black Mako on a black NATO G10 strap.
My Mako XL is on a red, white n blue NATO.The Black Mako
is more accurate than the Mako XL. Both approach COSC
standards.

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Slocum
With your luck you could fall into a pickle barrel and come out smelling like
a rose.
$50 00? There aughta be a law against finding Orients so affordable!

Lou Snutt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts