Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
I have a GA-2000-1A9ER, it's great. The one you're asking about is list price USD 1'000... Granted, it's solar powered and will connect with a smartphone with an app, but it seems all that does is offer you some stats on the battery and status of the watch. Seems a bit expensive for just that...

Personally, I would invest that kind of money in a nice Swiss Made mechanical watch (which never runs out of battery and doesn't need the sun / a battery to power it), plenty of which are available on Jomashop.

But, I also know you have a penchant for G-Shocks, so if this tickles your fancy, go for it.

·
Senior Novice
3,466 Posts
I think that's the model I thought of and mentioned in your intro thread. I couldn't find the post referring to it but here's a little something on it here.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Me still totally new to watches, never worn one not shown any interest before this.

Yep heard about mechanicals, but the maintenence steps are pretty high!
If by maintenance, you mean servicing, there are a lot of opinions about how often it need be done, some say every five years, others 10, others say "don't bother until it breaks". This article is quite good in explaining oiling of a watch: The Art of Oiling in Watchmaking - Lubrication 101 — NO BS WATCHMAKER

A service on an ETA movement (which is in that Mido) will likely range anywhere from USD 250 to 300 (depending where you are in the world. A full service on one of my ETA based watches was +/- USD 165. Honestly you likely don't need to do it for a long, long time.

I have only ever had my vintage watches serviced because after 50 years it's probably wise (the oils used back in the 60s were likely not the same as today's better synthetic oils).

At the same time, the electronics in the G-Shock also have a finite life . And I have seen people complain their G-Shock died after only a few years and I'm not sure you can take it to just about any watchmaker to have it fixed..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.