Watch Freeks banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a watch on my 'very' short list that comes up on a certain vendor site with a search criteria of 'perpetual' but the listing itself makes no reference to 'perpetual'. I have an email in to the manufacturer to determine if this watch in fact features perp, but is there a simple observable way to determine? I suspect not, but curious minds want to know. 馃

ps, the particular watch in question has a simple date window; no month, year or day of week. To me that seems less likely to be 'perpetual', but just don't know.

Super Moderator
I have a watch on my 'very' short list that comes up on a certain vendor site with a search criteria of 'perpetual' but the listing itself makes no reference to 'perpetual'. I have an email in to the manufacturer to determine if this watch in fact features perp, but is there a simple observable way to determine? I suspect not, but curious minds want to know. 馃

ps, the particular watch in question has a simple date window; no month, year or day of week. To me that seems less likely to be 'perpetual', but just don't know.
That's an interesting question. Can I ask which watch you are specifically interested in?

Normally, a true perpetual calendar watch will always show the correct date, automatically adjusting for months with 31 or 30 days, plus February and leap years. Mechanical watches that perform this generally aren't cheap and are a pain to keep if you don't wear it / wind it regularly (it keeps account of leap years, so if you don't keep it running for a long time, it may lose track of when the leap year happens). Granted, this does not apply for digital watches.

I suppose a manufacturer could have a perpetual calendar watch that only show the date, but why would they? They have all the gubbins working towards skipping dates etc, so it would seem a waste not to also show the day and month at the same time. But maybe some do for the sake of elegance or minimalism? I don't know.

Btw, here is FP Journe's Quanti猫me Perp茅tuel which does exactly what I described above...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an interesting question. Can I ask which watch you are specifically interested in?
Thanks for that FBPB. The specific watch in question is a Longines Spirit. I tend to doubt the calendar is perpetual but it came up in a search as such. The listing itself didn't claim such.
I have an inquiry in to Longines and am awaiting a response.
The point of my vague question is for future reference. I really like the idea of a perpetual calendar and am curious if there is a neophyte way to recognize the feature. I won't name the vendor because, as stated, the actual listing makes no claim of the sort, but the listing came up in a feature search. May have been my fail searching somehow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw, here is FP Journe's Quanti猫me Perp茅tuel which does exactly what I described above...

dammit. Now I have to sell the house. I need one of those FP Journe's. ha. wow, nice watch.

Long Time Member
I would say a true perpetual calendar must have a leap year setting, which is set manually. This implies it must display it somehow, like the Seiko below.

The FPJ above does not on the dial, so one would expect it is displayed through the caseback (?)

Super Moderator
This was an unbelievably awesome question tmoore. Not only because
it was just a cool question. But I think a lot of people never actually knew
themselves. ..I know that I didn't. 馃槉Actually just liked the way the watches
looked to be completely truthful. Plus had thought just really having the
complication in the collection some day might be fun. 馃榾馃檪However never
actually thought about how to easily recognize one until now. So thank you,
and the guys !!!

So it's the leap year that sets it apart, and what to look for. Very very cool !!

Just for fun, found a couple links to add in here tmoore...

A Guide to: The Perpetual Calendar Complication

Perpetual Calendar Watch: All You Need To Know | Automatic Watches For Men

Marine Tunnel Rat
All my perpetual calendars are Eco-Drive quartz, so no checking here!

Reactions: tmoore

Super Moderator
All my perpetual calendars are Eco-Drive quartz, so no checking here!
Yeah, that is yet another pro to the Eco-Drives right Chaz?! (y);)
It's such a great technology, and one that never seemed to have
a lot of issues, or bugs either. Or even need for servicing either. 馃く

Marine Tunnel Rat
Yep and my new Safari Arnie is a perpetual calendar as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say a true perpetual calendar must have a leap year setting, which is set manually. This implies it must display it somehow, like the Seiko below.
I agree.
I think part of my confusion rests in two things. One, some watches that have an annual calendar (adjust once a year) are billed as perpetual. Some of those only have a date window (I think(?)) so things are a little murky there. Second, some are quartz and have setting tricks. Consider this Longines (VHP line)...the date is set by the original watch maker. I wonder how it's reset if the Battery were to go full blown dead longer than any capacitor could retain juice.

The amount of stuff there is to know about watches is truly fascinating.

Marine Tunnel Rat
Well that is cool huh?! o_O:cool: And I don't think someone would know
unless they read about it in the manual right Chaz?! ..Very stealthy. 馃槑馃槈
Easy tip, when it flipped over to the 1st and the day before was the 30th, I knew for sure 馃槅

Reactions: tmoore

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy tip, when it flipped over to the 1st and the day before was the 30th, I knew for sure 馃槅
Ya, that seems to be one of the three correct answers to my inquiry...read the manual, just wait and see, or does it have a leap year indicator. Thanks for all the input. Happy learner here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts