Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm into another couple hundred bucks to get rid of a computer virus that my McAfee and Malwarebytes failed to block! :frusty: This particular PC is only used to pay bills and view financial info. I recently started getting pop-ups and getting redirected to websites trying to sell me PC software fixes and virus protection along with warnings from McAfee to NOT GO THERE...

Well, when I got to the message below, I called the number and talked to a tech that basically said I was screwed. My options were to do a "one time removal" and "system tune-up" ... He sounded like he was talking from a switchboard and sounded legit but before I agreed to anything I decided to hang up and check out the info... Couldn't verify the number or the company "Eraser Tech Support" that he was calling from...

At this point I don't trust anyone but my personal tech guy in the neighborhood... So I unplugged everything and hauled it over to his place...

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Never do what you did lol. Do not call anyone, close all your programs, make sure your anti-virus is up to date, and run it. All they are trying to do is scare you and make you call and spend money.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You realize when you called that number you probably got added to a zillion spam calling lists?
I know... Not only did I call but I may have compromised my entire home network by giving him access to my desktop for a few minutes. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

I was watching him manipulate the mouse but all he did was check out my system efficiency... Then I realized I had a pass protected word file with all my passwords on it open but minimized so I took over the mouse to click it closed... That's when I told him I needed to close something out with sensitive information on it and got spooked so I closed everything out. I really hope this will not come back to haunt me. IDIOT!!! :be polite:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I know... Not only did I call but I may have compromised my entire home network by giving him access to my desktop for a few minutes. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

I was watching him manipulate the mouse but all he did was check out my system efficiency... Then I realized I had a pass protected word file with all my passwords on it open but minimized so I took over the mouse to click it closed... That's when I told him I needed to close something out with sensitive information on it and got spooked so I closed everything out. I really hope this will not come back to haunt me. IDIOT!!! :be polite:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Stick to flying planes. :D

Any techno nerd can clean your system but it's unfortunate you gave him access to sensitive stuff. I would monitor your credit and be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stick to flying planes. :D

Any techno nerd can clean your system but it's unfortunate you gave him access. I would monitor your credit and be on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary.
Well I just googled the company info he game me because I at least asked that!
I initially had the spelling wrong and couldn't find it...

"E-Racer Tech Support" he also gave me the contact number and name so for whatever it's worth it is a legitimate company located in Boynton Beach Fl...

What was not legit is the spyware message that was prompting me to download anti spyware... Plus all the other pop ups... Some apparently from McAfee and some not... :mad:

I will be monitoring my accounts frequently! To add to the frustration , my wife loves to shop at Target and until recently always used her debit card there! JUST SHOOT ME!:puke:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Well I just googled the company info he game me because I at least asked that!
I initially had the spelling wrong and couldn't find it...

"E-Racer Tech Support" he also gave me the contact number and name so for whatever it's worth it is a legitimate company located in Boynton Beach Fl...

What was not legit is the spyware message that was prompting me to download anti spyware... Plus all the other pop ups... So e apparently from McAfee and some not... :mad:
I would also change all your passwords. Hopefully you got on top of this before anything bad happened. In my opinion any company that generated that message to you is a legitimately BAD company.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would also change all your passwords. Hopefully you got on top of this before anything bad happened. In my opinion any company that generated that message to you is a legitimately BAD company.
Well it's listed on Angie's List and the number contact info to call back should I need their help also checked out... But yeah... Probably need to change stuff AGAIN. :mad:

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I personally don't like McAfee because of this problem and also for the viruses it totally missed. I've been using Eset NOD32 now for almost 5 years and love the program. Sorry to hear about your grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
OMG...you have created a thread for What Not To Do

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG...you have created a thread for What Not To Do
I know... I know... Well so far so good... I've stayed up late and changed all passwords related to anything financial... Banks, credit cards, eBay PayPal etc... Everything is still intact. I may have just lucked out...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Time for a MAC!
You know, saying buy a Mac always sounds really snotty to Windows users, and especially to people who generally won't spend over $500 for a laptop, but I couldn't tell you the last time I have experienced a piece of malware on my personal computers (all running Mac OSX or some variation of Linux).

Having a Windows PC does make you a huge target for malware.

Good luck man, I hope this just ended up being a harmless learning experience for you.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys...

I usually use my iPad for browsing but sooner or later I'm sure there will be security issues for all Mac devices as well. It's the era we live in, where we depend on the Internet and everything is being stored online or on your devices which just makes you more of a target for hackers, spammers and everything in between... It's not a matter of "if" your secure information will ever be stolen, just a matter of "when." :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mac already gets attacks. The only reason they didn't for so long is because hackers didn't see the potential numbers of infected systems to be worth their time.
Market share is shifting and with it, the number of problems with Macs.
I'm a PC user and can count on one hand, the number of viruses I've gotten over the years. My online computing goes back to the mid 90's. Xerox machines running netscape navigator on dial-up. Now I build my own systems.
Avoiding viruses is all about a good firewall and safe practises. Many computer experts don't even have anti virus software installed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Only a suggestion, head over to Apple and purchase a MAC. I've been a long user of Windows and although I still use it at work, at home completely rely on MAC. The best thing since slice bread.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
You may want to consider using a Chromebook for secure transactions. While Chromebooks are designed more for web browsing than computing capability, they have the advantage of operating with only web based apps, thus no software that can get infected with viruses. Though Macs are less vulnerable to viruses than Microsoft OS computers, they are hardly immune. With a Chromebook, there are no AV or firewall programs to contend with, so the only security concerns to worry about are phishing attempts. With minimal on board memory (most of your data can be stored on thumb drives, sd cards, or cloud based storage like Google Drive), it's very responsive with nearly no boot up time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts