·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

What exactly is that for? So you dont have to wind the crown yourself??

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Some small crowns are hard to turn if you have big fingers...I guess.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I have always been tempted to buy a set of these.

These work great on watches with small crowns, but also they work great to wind a watch with a plated case and/or a manual wind movement. This way your hands/fingers aren't constantly rubbing against the plating and causing scratches or premature plate wear. It's also a good tool if you have arthritis or another issue that prevents strong finger gripping. :)

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I have always wondered what the point of getting these was, but Rick you actually make a very valid point. I hand wind all my automatics daily and I have started to see that the gold plating on some of my Divers is starting to show wear on them. Hmmmmm....... Maybe down the road I should consider this.

·
Registered
185 Posts
imported post

Arthritic fingers make this an attractive tool. I'm curious about how close the flexible jaws come to the side of the case when they are on the crown. Is it possible for them to slip and mark the case worse than fat fingers?

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Homemade solution: make a simple, very inexpensive winding tool from a short length of synthetic surgical rubber tubing. Select a tubing size with a slightly snug inside diameter. Push it onto the problem crown and wind the watch. Simple. Works like a charm. The tool is useful for any small problem crown and takes the discomfort out of winding watches with angular or oddly shaped crowns as well. The little tool is also a great aide for folks who have a physical handicap with their hands like arthritis etc. It is a must have tool for any watch collector. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the insight...

I've always wondered, what purposed they served. I can see, they're benefit.. Especially for individuals suffering from arthritic symptoms, as well as guys and/or ladies that have thick fingers..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.