Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone asks why the watch companies had a problem with Basel World and their extortionate pricing, here is an example of how only the hotels treated people.

Covid-19 hit Switzerland, Basel World was cancelled and with it all of the reservations at the hotels were cancelled too. Hotels (along with almost all businesses) are able to apply for loans (at 0% interest) from the government in order to cover revenue losses due to Covid-19.

On top of that, usually you can cancel a hotel room in Switzerland without having to pay for it, so long as you give them 24 or 48 hours notice.

But here a hotel in Basel, just across from the exposition hall, is forcing people to pay for their cancelled rooms, and is sending that invoice 6 days before they were supposed to arrive at the hotel. Likely they are doing this to profit one last time from Basel World gouging, as they never will be able to again.

According to their website, this hotel normally charges between CHF 75 and CHF 145 for a room per night, for Basel World, they upped it to CHF 420 per night.

A quick translation of the image:

Madame, Sir,

In reference to your letter of 21 April 2020.

As already communicated by email, our hotel is still open and we are still able to offer you the rooms as reserved.

For companies or travelers who reside in Switzerland, "Force Majeur" does not apply. For this reason, cancellation fees are owed at 100%.

Super Moderator
That is really something FB. As if the virus wasn't bad enough,
and then you have businesses gouging like this? Or seemingly
piling on? 馃槨 Some times I really just don't understand people,
or how they think. It's not right, and can imagine how many
guests this happened to in total. 馃槰Just is horrible, but really
appreciate you shedding some light on all of it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I am not surprised. People from Basel Stadt are known to be rather odd, almost to the point of being nasty towards outsiders. I live the other side of Switzerland and have driven through the city and had people honk and yell at me because I am "not from Basel" (I speak English, French and German, so I understood what they said).

Note, this does not apply to Basel Land! They are in the same area, but they are not the same Canton. The Stadt is the city, and the Land is the rural/farming area that surrounds the canton.

Now, I am sure not every person in Basel Stadt is like that, but enough of them are / have been in order for them to gain a bad reputation among the Swiss in general, and especially among those from Basel Land.

Super Moderator
Isn't it funny, or strange actually how people are like that FB?!
You can't tell if they are being snobby, or just don't want you
in the area because of the traffic, and everything.

On the one hand, the various businesses probably love having
all of the people visiting. However, then there are the people
who live there who probably include a few that can't stand it.
It's not everybody like you said, but still, even if it's only a few,
you remember them right?! 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, unfortunately you do remember them! But in I "there is no way I am going back there" way!

Super Moderator
馃槃(y) Well we get to see terrific pictures, and videos of all of the
watches anyway. So it's almost like you are actually there I guess.
But without all of that stress, and having to put up with all of those
angry people. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I find that I can only really tell if a watch looks good or not seeing it in person. Photos of some make it look a lot better than reality, others look better in reality than in photos.

Examples:

Omega Globemaster Constellation, or an Omega Speedmaster Mk II: Gorgeous in real life, only "ok" in photos.

Most Patek Philippe, Breguet and Richard Mille watches: Sort of underwhelming in real life.

Super Moderator
I find that I can only really tell if a watch looks good or not seeing it in person. Photos of some make it look a lot better than reality, others look better in reality than in photos.

Examples:

Omega Globemaster Constellation, or an Omega Speedmaster Mk II: Gorgeous in real life, only "ok" in photos.

Most Patek Philippe, Breguet and Richard Mille watches: Sort of underwhelming in real life.
That is so funny how that works FB, but totally have to agree
about seeing a watch in person. You just can't beat it to be
honest, and most times I know I am always impressed seeing
the real thing. Although they always seem way smaller in person
that's for sure. 馃槃

Registered

Examples:

That is so funny how that works...they always seem way smaller in person
that's for sure. 馃槃
I've been terribly deflated before, shocked really. On the other hand, there's a watch that I wouldn't give a second thought but that I've sample it and know it's for me...and that one's tagged with a wonderful vacation memory pulling my wife into another watch shop. It's funny to wonder about so many but and still distain images of one I know I love.
Watches are so personal, given to exclusive parameters that is.

Patek Philippe... agreed, the greatest glory of so many is covered up. It's hard to appreciate original complications and their finish when under the hood.

Super Moderator
I've been terribly deflated before, shocked really. On the other hand, there's a watch that I wouldn't give a second thought but that I've sample it and know it's for me...and that one's tagged with a wonderful vacation memory pulling my wife into another watch shop. It's funny to wonder about so many but and still distain images of one I know I love.
Watches are so personal, given to exclusive parameters that is.

Patek Philippe... agreed, the greatest glory of so many is covered up. It's hard to appreciate original complications and their finish when under the hood.
AW, that is such a fantastic point about watches being so personal
honestly. 馃檪 A watch can be so special just because of all the great
memories that surround it. Or even because someone special may
have given it to you. It's really just the best !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts