Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... a question: there are a bunch of indie U.S. watch start-ups on Kickstarter... why not do a Kickstarter for a U.S. designed and manufactured automatic movement? Offer something that could be easily transplanted into, say, a Seiko 5 case? Market it to the micros? Man, I wish I were some kind of engineer instead of a microbio grad... I want to learn movement design but need a good source.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
I'm a microbiologist myself. I think Shinola makes a US made movement. I guess you could do it on Kickstarter but it would take a huge investment to tool up even after you had the design plans. But stranger things have happened.

Correction: Shinola uses Rhonda movements and assembles them into watches in the US. They do not make the movement.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
I'm a microbiologist myself. I think Shinola makes a US made movement. I guess you could do it on Kickstarter but it would take a huge investment to tool up even after you had the design plans. But stranger things have happened.

Shinola does not make movements. Only assemble...which are Ronda movements if I remember correctly. And of course Quartz, not automatic.

I think more watches need to be made in the US...like Weiss and Niall are doing..... And get people used to buying American made watches again. Maybe in 10 years we will see production American movements again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Shinola does not make movements. Only assemble...which are Ronda movements if I remember correctly. And of course Quartz, not automatic.

I think more watches need to be made in the US...like Weiss and Niall are doing..... And get people used to buying American made watches again. Maybe in 10 years we will see production American movements again.

+1 there. Darn, Shinola must be putting out subliminal messages or something. Why do people actually think they are American made.

Get friggin real people

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Today, Shinola is owned by the Swiss Ronda AG and Bedrock, who has filed for trademark rights over the Shinola name for a range of items such as shoe polish, watches, cosmetics, handheld electronic devices, jewelry, leather goods, clothing, toys but also sporting equipment.
  • Runwell with 1069: Each movement is made of 40 pieces from Switzerland assembled in Detroit, then 21 extra pieces (including the casing and glass from China) to make the watch.

• Runwell Chrono Sport with 5050.B: Each movement is made of 103 Swiss pieces, which are assembled in Detroit and another 21 extra pieces (including the casing and glass from China) to make the watch.
Ronda, a Swiss based quartz movement provider makes all the movements for Shinola and ships it to Motor City where they are assembled into watches.

·
6,117 Posts

Although not from your country I second that. Sometimes a company will step up the plate and do just that but often it are show pieces made for a special occasion. And as mentioned above, the investments in tooling, special factory rooms and specialized personnel are huge. So huge that the final product is in danger of becoming heart stopping expensive and not able to compete with say German or Swiss movements (not the mass produced ETA kind I mean). It is a niche market if you're not in the watch business already.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although not from your country I second that. Sometimes a company will step up the plate and do just that but often it are show pieces made for a special occasion. And as mentioned above, the investments in tooling, special factory rooms and specialized personnel are huge. So huge that the final product is in danger of becoming heart stopping expensive and not able to compete with say German or Swiss movements (not the mass produced ETA kind I mean). It is a niche market if you're not in the watch business already.
Valid points. It's a nice dream though.

·
3,979 Posts
I havent indulged in a Shinola yet. But would if I could find one in my
buying zone.
That said, not owning a Shinola, I will add Ive had a slew of watches with
Ronda movements. Principally the model 5040. Great experience with them.
But Im wearing a watch today with an Isa (Isatronics) engine the 8173. A
not so bad quartz.

If the manufacturers make a watch with Americun movements, Ill danged sure
buy it. Globalization stinks IMHO.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If the manufacturers make a watch with Americun movements, Ill danged sure
buy it. Globalization stinks IMHO.

Lou Snutt
It sure did sound great when they sold it to us, well maybe not so much. Come to think of it it was a bad idea right from the start.

I think the only way a movement could be made here is if we came up with an innovative way of accomplishing the same purpouse or if demand outstrips supply.

I guess in a sense that is what the iwatch is all about. New technology designed in the USA and built overseas. Dang globilazatiin. At least we are half the way there

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kobold is the maker that comes to mind as the one who might be able to make this a reality...

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Kobold is the maker that comes to me nd as the one who might be able to make this a reality...

I would say at this point Niall and Weiss are trying. RGM makes some of their movements, but not on a production level.

Niall has produced and all USA in house watch except for the movement. If they could really get some force behind them, maybe they could do it and start on a small level and work up.

The biggest thing is always demand. If people want it bad enough, someone will make it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love that I am finding out about so many micros here that I didn't know of before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts