Watch Freeks banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

. . . had heart surgery a while back. I had a hell of a time getting any sleep. Just never fell asleep. Drove me nuts! Layed in bed all night, night after night, got up at daybreak.

Finally got to where I couldn't take it any longer and went to my Doctor, "Man, I can't sleep, haven't slept for days." "No problem, happens to a lot of people after surgery, take this script in and have it filled." So I did. That day. Took an Ambien that night, right around 10 PM.

Sat back on the couch, watched the news and waited to get sleepy. Sleeping pill, right. Wrong. Next thing I know, Wifey is talking, I'm sitting at the kitchen table. Atthe kitchen table with the Redhead, where I now understand I'd been sitting for the past hour and a half. It's 9:30 AM.

I never went to sleep! I was apparently awake all night, puttering, doing housework, dusting, moving stuff around, rearreanging the bookshelves, ordered some stuff online, gawd only knows what else for sure.

Waking sleep. An Ambien Zombie. Talking to the Wife like I was actually there, agreeable as all get out according to her. She didn't even realize I was on Planet 9. Just figured I couldn't sleep and got up.

So I Googled "Ambien" and I see a link to " Ambien Sleepwalking." Lord have a sense of humour . . . not good!!! According to all the articles I read, it's a national epidemic of sorts . . . all sorts of bizarre, frightening and even tragic events occuring with people. Far worse than my little adventure. Hell, there's was even an article with Colin Powell saying " Oh yeah, we all take Ambien." State of National Affairs???

Then . . . I get a new issue of Rolling Stone, and there is an article in it about Ambien being a new recreational chemical. People take it, stay awake and wait to be taken over, and the fun begins.

What a trip.What a ramble here. Anyone else come across this delightful off branded anti-psycotic mind bend???

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

I've heard/read about the bizarre consequences of taking that sleeping aid...Wild, isn't it & it's legal. :whatever:

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Very scary drug. I have heard some real horror stories. I am sure it helps some, but I personally try to stay away from any of these types of drugs.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

Yeah of course all the legal drugs are bad for you, the FDA passes them even knowing what the side effects are. But the ones that can really help you they make illegal....I'm sure MJ would have put you right to sleep but you would have needed a snack first LOL

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
imported post

I would rather stay awake then take a drug where I dont know what Iam doing. You could end up dead and not know it

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

As soon as anyone came into my drug treatment facility or my private practice, they were immediately taken off of Ambien.

IMHO, the drug causes much more problems than any benefits you could ever experience. Now, I'm NOT saying that everyone has negative effects to Ambien, but for those who did, the side effects were worse than the insomnia.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
As soon as anyone came into my drug treatment facility or my private practice, they were immediately taken off of Ambien.

IMHO, the drug causes much more problems than any benefits you could ever experience. Now, I'm NOT saying that everyone has negative effects to Ambien, but for those who did, the side effects were worse than the insomnia.
. . . Amen to that Brother. I didn't disclose the fact that I have been clean and sober since 10/26/86. It made the event even more bothersome to me.

So, no more of that crap. :madd It was bad enough being medicated in the hospital . . .

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Congrats! 3-23-93 for myself. :)

I imagine it was quite unpleasant to have that experience!

Ambien would cause false positives on drug screens for benzos (valium, xanax, librium, klonopin, halcion, etc), cause some folks to hallucinate, sleepwalk, sleepDRIVE, and completely lose hours or full days due to the side effects. I've even seen people lose their jobs! :(

For the many that receive a benefit from Ambien, good for them . . . however, it definitely has issues.

randyswagon wrote:
CurrentTime wrote:

. . . Amen to that Brother. I didn't disclose the fact that I have been clean and sober since 10/26/86. It made the event even more bothersome to me.

So, no more of that crap. :madd It was bad enough being medicated in the hospital . . .

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

I've read some real horror stories about Ambien.

But on a lighter note, if anyone is considering using Ambien and you find that you've turned into a sleepwalking Ambien zombie.

C'mon over, I have a garage that needs painting.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Yup, I have heard all those stories and none of them are good! I'm sorry that it happened to you and it sounds like it was a real nasty experience! I'm sure it's one that you'll never want to go thru again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts