Watch Freeks banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

As many know, Amazon now has "Exclusive" Invicta's...Venoms, Excursions and so on... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_86241711_1?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A377110011%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cn%3A!378518011%2Cn%3A1297466011%2Cp_4%3AInvicta&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1YS0212FGT2BFEDDJNWY&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=502149851&pf_rd_i=377110011

As noted plenty of times, the dials on them are not marked "Swiss Made" in which the watch must qualify to use that term whether you are a member of the federation or not.

These have the term "Swiss" in which the watch must qualify ONLY if you are a member of the federation...if you are not then it could mean it has a Swiss parts, Swiss battery or be a Swiss movement but it does not qualify as "Swiss Made".

One member at WG received one of these Venoms...I asked him what the case back said and I only got the answer that...he was not going to get involved, he trusts Invicta when they say they are Swiss Made.

So just curious...who believes these particular models qualify as "Swiss Made" under the federation guidelines?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

At this juncture Richard, I don't necessarily care. I like many of the models listed there and that would be enough for me to purchase one. I know what I'm getting with Invicta at this point and as long as the warranty in intact, it's fine by me. Hopefully this post didn't come off as me being an Invictaphile, because that's certainly not the case. I just want the watch, that I bought, to tell time when I receive it.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
At this juncture Richard, I don't necessarily care. I like many of the models listed there and that would be enough for me to purchase one. I know what I'm getting with Invicta at this point and as long as the warranty in intact, it's fine by me. Hopefully this post didn't come off as me being an Invictaphile, because that's certainly not the case. I just want the watch, that I bought,to tell time when I receive it.
No need to retype it Ditto!

·
Premium Member
25,155 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
At this juncture Richard, I don't necessarily care. I like many of the models listed there and that would be enough for me to purchase one. I know what I'm getting with Invicta at this point and as long as the warranty in intact, it's fine by me. Hopefully this post didn't come off as me being an Invictaphile, because that's certainly not the case. I just want the watch, that I bought, to tell time when I receive it.
I agree also. I never cared and still dont. If I like the watch, and it works and is accurate, I am going to be fine with it.

I agree with Tuna's statement above.

·
Registered
91 Posts
imported post

It has been known that some earlier Invictas such as the RD Quinotaurs had the word "Swiss" on the dial. This is also another version of "Swiss Made." The only difference would be when one has "Swiss Mvt," which does not mean "Swiss Made."

No need to worry, you are still getting Swiss Made.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

As has been established, "Swiss" only equals "Swiss Made" if the company is a member of the Swiss Federation...Invicta is not...Michael says they are not because it is a "Good old boys club". The older Russian Divers that say "Swiss" on the dial do say "Swiss Made" on the case backs, and that counts.

For example, the new Amazon only Venoms say "Swiss" on the dial and "Swiss" on the case back...not "Swiss Made".

As was pointed out on WG, there had been a show with David M from Croton and Jim...the question was brought up if "Swiss" meant "Swiss Made"...their answer was no, it did not mean that...it was a US Customs issue. "Swiss" does not have trademark protection here as "Swiss Made" does and as a non-member of the federation, "Swiss" is no guarantee if "Swiss Made"...it can mean Swiss parts, Swiss movement and so on. No matter how many times they post a link to the federation site, it does not apply to non-members unless they actually use "Swiss Made".

As for the Amazon only watches, I know that plenty of folks dont seem to care...kind of "I dont care what Invicta tells me, if its not accurate, hey I love the watch and dont care"...that is not how I want to be sold an item...I want honesty. Amazon selling their "Exclusive" version for about half of the price of the "Swiss Made" is fine if Invicta is up front...remember the photo of the "Swiss Mov't" piece whose movement was stamped China?

Nobody from Invicta seems to want to give a straight answer...they simply post up the link to the federation website and that is meaningless. Somebody from Invicta needs to simply say for the record that "Yes, the Amazon exclusive that says Swiss is indeed Swiss Made and qualifies under the federation guidelines".

As a member of WG so plainly put it, "Dont pee in my ear and tell me its raining".

That being said, I dont care if it is a Swiss Movement assembled in Asia somewhere...so long as it is quality. I would be glad to have one of the Venoms that are Amazon only...the price is very good and the design looks great...but if it is vaguely implied as "Swiss Made" then I want a guarantee that it is "Swiss Made"...not just a link to a meaningless federation site that they dont have to follow and told "See, that says it"...just somebody from Invicta to say "Yep, for the record, it is Swiss Made"

Anyways, it has been rehashed a few dozen times, some people want to know, some dont and others dont care what they are told...

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Blah,Blah,Blah

Some ole stuff different day. I have yet to buy a watch because it said Swiss Made, Swiss Movt, Swiss, Swiss Cheese, Swiss Chocolate. It has yet played into my decision making what so ever, Hell a lot of people think Renato makes a great watch fit and finish is amazing Yet I dont see Swiss Made on the dial. To be honest you really want to know what Swiss Made and belonging too the Swiss Federation means in most cases. The right to force feed a big price tag up ones A$$!!!

There is very few watches that are completely Swiss made, and regulations are manipulated by every company out there so I say F-em!!!!

Kind of like Unions, are they better? Hell NO as a general contractor I have yet to find a Union Labor pool that is better then a non Union labor pool. Its a joke I understand the concept of the Union but I would LOVE to see them extinguished!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
imported post

I feel the same way. I have several I am trying sell or flip, but I plan on keeping a couple and that is it for me.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

Invicta certainly "pushes the envelope" while marketing their watches; I don't think anyone would disagree about that.

What I am seeing though, is the practice of parsing words and exploiting gray areas and being outright DECEPTIVE for the few who know too little (NEWBIES) is something pretty widespread in the industry. Especially when sold on cable TV.

·
Registered
91 Posts
imported post

I agree. Their CS and QC is playing a big factor as well. Had this not happen, I don't think a lot of us collectorswould be feeling this way. When your CS goes declines as musch as Invictas has, their has to be some affect in sales. Not to mention what has been going on with Invicta and SNBC and with Michael getting his job. That alone has me curious.

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . I buy what appeals to me. I am perfectly content with any watch, as long as it is what I expected to get for the money I paid.

As for the shitstorm of controversy surrounding the "Swiss" issue, I can only say ONE thing for absolute certain . . . EyalLalo will retire much younger and far better off than I will!!!!

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

randyswagon wrote:
. . . I buy what appeals to me. I am perfectly content with any watch, as long as it is what I expected to get for the money I paid.

As for the sh#+storm of controversy surrounding the "Swiss" issue, I can only say ONE thing for absolute certain . . . EyalLalo will retire much younger and far better off than I will!!!!
Isnt that the trutch you and me both!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.