Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hopefully another thought provoking topic; Does it seem that for the number of versions and the original fanfare the Akula came and went pretty quickly? Last I checked, there at least 95, yes 95 different versions of the Akula. The Akula came long after the SANIII, RD, SAS, Pro Diver but these seem to retain interest among the Invicta faithful where as little is mentioned about the Akula. Did the Akula series meet an untimely death?
I personally did not like the series therefore never purchased.

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I like a lot of the Invicta models but NEVER liked this one. Just not my style or look for the case.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

I love my Akula's they are bold and wear Very comfortable. I will be expanding this line in my rotation in 2010!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ron, do ya think there will be more additions to the line? With all the info on other "upcoming" watch additions, versions, etc. I have not heard or seen one word about the Akula's. That's why I ask, you think Invicta is giving up on the series?

CJ

RipitRon wrote:
I love my Akula's they are bold and wear Very comfortable. I will be expanding this line in my rotation in 2010!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I couldn't stand it when it was first released but somehow it grew on me. I have the top 2 in James' pics above and looking for the black ip/blue dial and deep red dial. The seemed to be fairly popular; I don't see a bunch of the original variations showing up at Shop event after event like some of the other pieces you mentioned.
Keep in mind CJ, they just released the new ones with the GMT movement on the new rubber strap.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Tuna makes a very good point that the GMT versions where just released during the October event. I do think that the watch is a bit overwhelming for a lot of people who cant wear a watch this big, so sales probably where not what they had hoped, but I do think we will see more this fall and Winter!

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I stand corrected; missed that one all together.
But then again, I miss a lot of things, that's why you guys are around!LOL

CJ

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I couldn't stand it when it was first released but somehow it grew on me. I have the top 2 in James' pics above and looking for the black ip/blue dial and deep red dial. The seemed to be fairly popular; I don't see a bunch of the original variations showing up at Shop event after event like some of the other pieces you mentioned.
Keep in mind CJ, they just released the new ones with the GMT movement on the new rubber strap.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I also happen to think that they'll put this one on a bracelet. There are a lot of us oversized watch nuts out there that will snap that one up...Rip and myself included. They just need to get the bracelet design right.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

TUNAKLLR wrote:
I also happen to think that they'll put this one on a bracelet. There are a lot of us oversized watch nuts out there that will snap that one up...Rip and myself included. They just need to get the bracelet design right.
Boy do you got that right!

·
Registered
120 Posts
imported post

I really enjoy My Akula. I have one of the original versions not the newer GMT version which makes the watch look a bit silly. I wouldn't buy another unless I see a black original for a killer price.

It's a monster of a watch but more wearable than a RD IMO and the strap is really comfortable. Mind you I could live without the "warm tyre" smell of the strap!

Steve

·
Registered
281 Posts
imported post

I like mine. It is however a very limited watch...really hard to figure out when you are supposed to wear it. Way to big for the work I do and not the best choice for all day wear.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

I bought one second hand, a rosetone/black. It came in the coveted wood reserve collection box and I got a pretty good deal on it. I really like the style, but unfortunately the strap was cut for a smaller wrist than mine, so I'm waiting for the leather strap which I ordered from Invicta. It's on a V E R Y slow boat from (somewhere) LOL. I think this color combination, with the eta 252.272 and the leather strap is a very unique-looking watch with a really nice quartz movement. I doubt I'll buy another, especially since I am underwhelmed with the ISA... I'm glad I have this one, but I have a fairly decent sized wrist and probably most importantly I'm a pretty big and tall guy so the bigger watches aren't out of place.

I don't know if we'll ever see this hyped up for a lot of sales, but I do think it's a cool design.

David

·
Registered
512 Posts
imported post

I just sold the one I bought at the beginning of the year from the Sunday Run. I didn't do too bad getting $222.50 on Ebay. I liked it when I first got it. I was concerned about the size and refused to cut the strap until I was sure. I think I wore the watch about 5-6 times in the months I had it. It was comfortable, but just didn't go with any type of clothing. It DEFINITELY wouldn't go with dress clothes, didn't fit with jeans and a t-shirt. I think it was just too big for my taste (look wise, not size wise). I would have preferred a better water resistance too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
imported post

I have the original silver with black case/face, and really like it; rubber bracelet not the best design I've ever seen.......Scotty, I don't think you will ever see anybody going into water with this monster.......I'll leave that to my tool dive watches......also, I do wear this with jeans all the time, and get lots of compliments.........different strokes for.......:);)

·
Registered
420 Posts
imported post

Bought one, wore it for a few weeks, hated it, sold it. End of my Akula story.

·
Registered
72 Posts
imported post

I've always thought the Akula was one of Invicta's best designs ever. Traded my SANIII with CT for his and couldn't believe how big it was, and I don't just mean the case size. Not for me, got rid of it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts