Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably just bad luck but this is the second Seiko I have had to return due to build quality issues.
The seconds hand falling off is really quite pathetic and it has put me off Seiko completely.
I had another build quality issue with the last Seiko I purchased too, that one was a Arctura Kinetic. The first thing I noticed with it was the kinetic mechanism it worked but it felt like something had broken off and was loose inside, a real cheap and nasty feel to it. According to an AD that's how the kinetic should be. The bracelet that came with this one also felt cheap and had a horrible rattle to it, also it opened far too easily, an easy fix but it was the final nail in that watches coffin.

I will be sticking to my tried and tested Citizen Eco-Drives in the future, I must have had 20 plus Citizens, all have been outstanding.

I believe it to have been very bad luck on my behalf but has seriously put me off Seiko.

Have a good evening fellow freeks.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

Reactions: tinknocker

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
That really stinks! Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Dang! I've always heard good things about Seiko! I have one Citizen's Eco-Drive that has been my workhorse with no issues, so I'm with you on their quality.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really stinks! Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Dang! I've always heard good things about Seiko! I have one Citizen's Eco-Drive that has been my workhorse with no issues, so I'm with you on their quality.
Thanks Funk, I bought it as a daily beater and it didn't even manage 2 weeks. I have replaced it with a new Citizen divers so it's not all bad.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems.
I can see how it would turn you off.
2 weeks ....yikes!

Glad to hear you found a replacement.

So far my Seiko's are holding up.

But then so are my Citizen's.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Ouch, don't think I've ever seen that with a Seiko. Where did you buy that from?

Reactions: scotty

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased it from Amazon UK, so thankfully the return process if free and very simple. Not all bad news thought I have just taken delivery of a replacement a Citizen Eco-Drive 200m BN051-09L. This variant has a blue face, bezel and band.
My first impressions are very good, I should have bought it the first place. Must be just my look with Seiko because they are a superb brand, but buying 2 defective Seikos one after another has put me off completely.
The irony is I bought the Seiko as a daily beater and it lasted less than 2 weeks.

I will stick to my tried and tested Eco-drives, I must have owned at least 20 Citizen watches all have been superb.

Enjoy your weekend fellow freeks 😊

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
View attachment 68609 Oops should have been a picture in the last post, here's the offending Seikos replacement, very happy with this one.

Reactions: Reflex

·
3,979 Posts
Ive got several SCCO series watches with nary a problem

Kinda hard to reconcile owing to how many SCCO's have been sold.

But it's Murphy's Law. If something can go wrong then it will go
wrong!!!

X traindriver Art

·
Long Time Member
946 Posts
That really sucks. Someone is having bad luck with Seiko.
Ditto! I have the same model and other Seikos with no issues.
I do think they cut corners on the band on this particular model it does feel cheap.
Gonna put mine on a mesh nato or oyster bracelet

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ditto! I have the same model and other Seikos with no issues.
I do think they cut corners on the band on this particular model it does feel cheap.
Gonna put mine on a mesh nato or oyster bracelet
They definitely did cut corners with the bracelet on this one, it felt incredibly cheap and had a nasty rattle, and then it started to fall apart.
Shame on you Seiko. 😕

·
Long Time Member
1,024 Posts
The Kenetic movements make noise., its the micro generator spinning at up to 20,000 rpm putting a charge into the storage cell. That noise is not a quality issue. Your cheapo strap is a different story.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate they do make noise, but that noise I did not want to hear. It sounded like something had broken off and was loose inside. Not for me at all I will stick to my silent Eco-drives.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Shoot! So sorry to read about this, desk_diver, but as you said at least the return is easy and painless, and you've got a REALLY nice diver to replace it with in your quest for a robust "daily beater".

Thanks for sharing the experience!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Reactions: ganson

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looking at your watch rotation I see you have no automatics. They also make a rattling noise as they wind because of the spinning rotor inside.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking at your watch rotation I see you have no automatics. They also make a rattling noise as they wind because of the spinning rotor inside.
I was expecting a bit of noise and I appreciate it's not a fault of the watch.
Just didn't like it and flipped in less than a week. The new owner was very happy with it, just not for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts