Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally arrived! The USPS is really testing my patience lately, don't even ASK about the Croton Pineapple SWISS Auto I (may have) acquired in a trade...

Quick review:

This is a discontinued model that is still available, but seemingly cannot be purchased for the low price(s) that have been available at times previously. This could well be a function of supply and demand, or more likely the scarcity of ETA automatic movements in watches under $1000. The Retail on this is $999 and street prices are usually in the $5-600 now. I got it on Amazon for $344. BTW, I already know Schnoop sold it for less a year or so ago...

The fit and finish is excellent. The unidirectional rotating bezel and screw-down crowm have a silky-smooth action but feel very substantial. I've noticed the less-expensive watches I have come across tend to NOT feel as high quality, especially in these two areas.

The sweep of the movement is very, very smooth. I have a couple of Sellitas and in my opinion, although they are both 28,800 VBH movements, the ETA seems smoother. It reminds me of a friend's Omega Seamaster as far as smoothness.

The most distinguishing feature of the watch is the bracelet. It's a 13 piece design with a wetsuit extension and a supported scissor-style diver's clasp. The polish is first rate, but this bracelet may not be everyone's favorite design, but I do think it makes this piece a little more unique.

The bezel and dial have a nice matte finish that works really well against the high polish of the coin-edge bezel and bright bracelet.

Overall I am very happy with this piece. It's not a big watch, 43mm which means that it is at the small end (size-wise) of what I wear; it's slightly larger than the Seiko Orange Monster, if that helps put it in perspective.

(If you made it this far, LOL) Here are some pictures of the Accutron:

Thanks for looking!

David

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

David,

That is an awesome watch. I really love the 3 hand automatics. Those are the best pics I have ever seen of this version. Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

awesome watch and pictures! congrats!

·
Registered
514 Posts
imported post

. . . love that watch!!!! From the colour scheme to the choice of finishes, the outstanding bracelet and the ETA movement . . . One I MUST own myself!!!

IMHO . . . . proof that not all the best are swiss made. The Asian market has a lot to offer in the quality arena . . . Congratulations on a great choice of where to put your dollars!!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yeah. 100% SWISS made, *PRIOR* to Bulova selling to Miyota. I imagine the Accutrons are still made in Switzerland, even after the sale.

David

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

ericf4 wrote:
aha didnt know that
The Gemini line, for example, has Swiss Made models with ETA 6498 mechanical movements, 7750 automatics and possibly others. The Kirkwood collection uses Sellita SW200s.

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts