Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So, what do you think ?...Is it a status symbol ?...Speaking strictly for myself, I'm going to say yes...It should pain me to admit this but, it doesn't, I'm materialistic, I like all my pretty things, they make me very happy...I wouldn't dream of carrying a handbag that didn't have a name & I wouldn't wear anything on my wrist that wasn't exceeding special...Consequently, my wrist is bare, I'd rather have nothing at all rather than something fake.

Forgive me if this thread has already been done, while I have had a chance to read some of the posts I haven't read them all.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

you wont wear something because you think it's a cheap imatation of the REAL thing you want? or you ONLY want a status watch on your wrist?

the answer to that question is the key

i wear what i like whether it has status or not -if i like it i really dont care if others do or if others associate it with STATUS

IF you only want what you like and THAT happens to be a STATUS watch -that's one thing

IF you will ONLY wear a status watch -that's another

i guess it depends on who you see yourself to be!!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

I'm somewhat materialistic myself. I like a nice looking watch on the wrist. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself wearing it as a status symbol because i don't own any of the "status" watches. I own some nice Renatos and Invictas, but nothing that I would consider status, i.e. Patek, Hublot, etc.
Bottom line, I like to wear an attractive, or what I consider attractive watch on the wrist.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I wouldn't wear something that was a cheap imitation..period...I'd rather go without than to wear faux "anything"...Andno, I don't think a fabulous watch would give me status.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

i own an Invicta 40MM Pro-Diver -you know the Rolex look alike

for the money i love it -because i love that look -i have alot of PD watches and it has nothing to do with Status for me

even if i had the means i highly doubt i would justify buying a Rolex Submariner

but that's just me! anyone who does -good for you!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

what if you saw something you liked -plain and simple liked- but it had nothing to do with STATUS ?

Duchess wrote:
I wouldn't wear something that was a cheap imitation..period...I'd rather go without than to wear faux "anything"...Andno, I don't think a fabulous watch would give me status.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sure, I'd wear something that I liked without a name as long as it wasn't a knockoff or trying to be something that it's not...Absolutely

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

Cool - unfortunately alot of stuff out there is copycat

i got some watches i had no idea were Homage's to other more expensive brands - just plained liked it

for example - i have an Invicta Speedway (40MM) -i had no idea it was a copycat to a Rolex Daytona -until someone in a thread mentioned it and had a pic

i was amazed - but i still like my watch!!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

or i should say - Homage - there's alot of lack of design in the watch industry -alot of copycat styles - IMO

WATCHURSELF wrote:
- unfortunately alot of stuff out there is copycat

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

If I were into status, I would own a Rolex because EVERYONE knows what a Rolex is. The regular Joe has no clue what a Vacheron, Hublot and Patek are so to me, it's only status to other watchfreeks, not to Joe 6-pack. I love wearing a watch that looks good to me and I usually get compliments on the watches that I wear so I must be dong something right!

Duchess, I agree with a replica (fake) watch as I would NEVER wear one of those just to make myself look good.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

well said Brotha!! and also to Sista Dutchess!!

sheraortho wrote:
If I were into status, I would own a Rolex because EVERYONE knows what a Rolex is. The regular Joe has no clue what a Vacheron, Hublot and Patek are so to me, it's only status to other watchfreeks, not to Joe 6-pack. I love wearing a watch that looks good to me and I usually get compliments on the watches that I wear so I must be dong something right!

Duchess, I agree with a replica (fake) watch as I would NEVER wear one of those just to make myself look good.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

In the order of full disclosure, I should probably admit that I don't know a damn thing about watches.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

Duchess wrote:
In the order of full disclosure, I should probably admit that I don't know a damn thing about watches.
There is nothing wrong with that! We ALL have to learn sometime! That's why you join a forum and read, ask questions and learn. That's half the fun of this. I learn something new on the various forums I frequent every day!

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

That's ok - can you make your avatar BIGGER!!! LMAO

J/K

Duchess wrote:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

GoDuke1 wrote:
Let's look at a Fake/Replica for example. I think it screams a lot about that person LOL, and not in a good way I might add.
I see chicks carrying knockoff Coach bags all the time & it never fails to make me mentally roll my eyes...I hesitate to profile people like this but, sometimes I don't even have to see the hardware on the bag to know it's fake, I can tell by the persons' attire, their demeanor & how they carry themselves to know they are not spending several hundred dollars on a lovely bag, no way, no how.

I did learn something here today ~ Guys call fake watches a "homage"..Did I get that right ?

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

no no

an homage is a companies version of the watch they are copying the style of

or at least that's what they say!!

i would say (more accurately) its a poor boy's version!!

Duchess wrote:
I did learn something here today ~ Guys call fake watches a "homage"..Did I get that right ?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Oh my goodness...Hahaha...I beg your pardon...I haven't learned a damn thing today then.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Duchess - a homage is a different company that put their name on a watch, but it has a similar look to an existing brand.

A replica or fake is a cheap company that completely copies an existing brand and puts the original company's name on the watch in an attempt to pass the fake off as the original.

In general we HATE replicas and do not even talk about them on a watch forum like this.

Homages are generally OK because they are their own watch brand and are not illegally copying an existing brand.

:)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Gotcha...And it's for this reason that I will be staying out of the other serious watch threads, I have virtually no clue of that world.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts