Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I stopped reading after he compared a Rolex to a BMW 3 Series

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
People don't care what I wear and i don't care what they wear.
Makes them no better or worse, unless if they think they are.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I didn't understand a word he was trying to say.

Reactions: zaskar36

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My watches do not define me. Period.

He sure gets mugged a lot.

Maybe he should write an article on when & where to wear what.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. I thought the same thing about his multiple times getting mugged.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think he is serious. I don't think most of what he said ever happen. I don't think he knows ..... about watches. I think he wrote to get a laugh. Which he got a couple out of me. He's a snob.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't mind humorous columns if they're done intelligently and cleverly, but this one does not fall into that category.

Comes off like a guy who's probably an okay writer, but who tries way too hard to be funny and ends up sounding like an amateur. Even if he knows a thing or two about watches, it doesn't come out, getting covered up by those lame one-liners.

Gotta leave comedy to the comedians--and even they have their share of nights when they really bomb.

·
Registered
319 Posts
to understand the article you have to understand the author.

He made a twitter account called GSElevator which stands for Goldman Sachs Elevator to just tweet things he heard or his colleagues had heard from the Investment banking industry.

He himself never worked at Goldman. The twitter became popular and he was offered a book deal.

He has no credibility in the watch world.

the twitter account has some funny quotes tho

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I've read a bunch of this guys stuff in the past.
Sometimes it is funny.
Most times he just sounds like a class-A -douche-nozzle.
This is the later.

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
Yup, I think he is just trying to be funny actually, and is trying to push people's buttons at the same time too. Don't think it's to be taken seriously. ..Thanks a lot for the link, and also laughs James ! :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Mmmmm, yes. Eh, no. This path is so beaten down, nothing is left. I like tongue in cheek humour and don't mind a stab left or right, it keeps you 'normal'. But this, well, doesn't cut it and he either knows little about watches and less about their owners or he just hates watches :D Each to his own I guess!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Haha. I thought the same thing about his multiple times getting mugged.
Maybe he should have been mugged while trying to write this article..Ugh

Reactions: greydog

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I didn't understand a word he was trying to say.
Same here. It started out well enough, as I could understand (not relate to), but understand the context and perspective at the beginning.

I had a chance to hang around a few financial investor types for the first time last year on a business trip. One of our clients was merging with another company and they drummed up investment money. All of the reps from the financial companies had fancy suites on and every one of them had a high end luxury watch strapped to their wrist, Breitling Navitimer and a Blancain I remember seeing. And after listening to their conversations I understood the world they play in and the face they need to have on.

It seemed like the article was headed in that direction at the beginning but just utterly fell apart with off the cuff remarks about each brand.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
So, I re-read the article from the initial idea that it is simply for entertainment and nothing more... from that perspective, I still think he's an asshat. Albeit, a clever one. Perhaps that was the piont, however. If so, the kudos to GSElevator.

It definitely is meant to be satire. I did laugh a bit more the second time. The comments and banter are even more entertaining. If you didn't read them, you should go back and do so.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A bunch of shallow babble IMHO.

But... the ending video was somewhat informative

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
ill-fated attempt at satire.
So, I re-read the article from the initial idea that it is simply for entertainment and nothing more... from that perspective, I still think he's an asshat. Albeit, a clever one. Perhaps that was the piont, however. If so, the kudos to GSElevator.

It definitely is meant to be satire. I did laugh a bit more the second time. The comments and banter are even more entertaining. If you didn't read them, you should go back and do so.
Yeh, I read it again too and finally got that it was supposed to be satire.

Too bad though, cuz it could've been really really funny, if he just kept with the whole perspective of the financial scene where guys in that business have to play the game of appearing to be successful...and poking fun of that specific culture.

Just went off the rails though and it just came off like he was babbling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts