Watch Freeks banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm supposed to be looking for my son's gift but found this and I'm really intrigued, this might surpass the Cyma. What are your thoughts? Is anyone familiar with this watch?

I can't find an exact match, but I do have the serial number 9385326. That would (based on an online database) put it somewhere between 1899 - 1900. (The watch itself doesn't work...)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think it's a really cool total package that you found!

And it would be lots of fun to get the watch working again.

I doubt that it's valuable, if that was part of your thinking.

I had a Waltham pocket watch for a short time that I was infatuated with for its look and its age, but it was only worth at most $50. They're really not a rare item in the watch world, from what I understand.

But then again, I am a true beginner with all of this, so take this all with a huge grain of salt.

Enjoy that watch, and good luck shopping for your son!

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
I concur with Mr. Packer Fan (Boooo! I'm a Lions fan, and I do not say that with much pride). Great whole package. The upside to this on is that parts for a Waltham are easier to come by as there are a quite a lot of them out there to pick up at a low price to get the parts you may need.

·
3,979 Posts
packerfan:
I gather I'm much older'n you.
Fully experienced in owning and carrying pocketwatches.
I agree that Waltham isn't worth a kings ransom.Wore em
while operating freight and passenger trains for 40 years

I sold my 2 Hammy RR grade pocketwatches in 2015.
the 992b brought $600.00.The 950b brought $1,000.00

992b has 21 jewels (minimum standard for RR watches)
950b has 23 jewels and the reason it sold for more geetus.

Lou Snutt

·
3,979 Posts
packerfan:
I might add the price I paid (used) for the Hammy 992b was $65.00
in 1959.

The MSRP for the Hammy 950b was $160.00 in 1960.Kept them even
when RRs starting approving quartz watches for service. Bought a
Bulova 214.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think it's a really cool total package that you found!

And it would be lots of fun to get the watch working again.

I doubt that it's valuable, if that was part of your thinking.

I had a Waltham pocket watch for a short time that I was infatuated with for its look and its age, but it was only worth at most $50. They're really not a rare item in the watch world, from what I understand.

But then again, I am a true beginner with all of this, so take this all with a huge grain of salt.

Enjoy that watch, and good luck shopping for your son!
Yes I think you are right. Some can be valuable but most are not. I have two of them that are restored and working great. One is worth about $100.00 and the other is a Railroad grade that is worth about $300.00

Roger

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you look carefully it doesn't appear to be jewelled which to me would indicate it may be on the lower end of the price spectrum. I would put some time into researching it carefully before putting too much money into it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not too concerned about the monetary value (it would be nice), but want my first proper purchase to be something special(ish), does this qualify? Maybe I'm just taken in with the package....?! This or Cyma?

Any idea's or further info regarding this watch, and obviously does it look genuine to you.

·
Senior Freek
1,829 Posts
You'll get a lot of people, including me, that will simply tell you to buy what you like. What moves you more. Both are cool pieces in my opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
While it is only 7 jewels the set is wonderful!
A travel clock and pocket watch in a kit!
Parts can still often be found if the watchmaker you deal with works on pocket watches of this age.
Often these do not run due to hardened oil in the pivot points, or gunk, hair and lint in the gears, and need a full dis-assembly cleaning.
Good luck!
David.

·
3,979 Posts
Roger:
Was the watch that was worth $300.00 the Waltham mentioned in the thread?
In this part o Texas the Waltham should bring $300 not running and approx-
mately $500.00 running. Vintage Treasures watch shop price quotes.

Lou Snutt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts