Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Accutron Astronaut with a VERY rare dial came and went on ebay today, It was a 1962 "Simple" Astronaut dial before Bulova added "Astronaut" to the dial in 1963, It went mostly unnoticed because it was just in a lot of accutron parts and test equipment...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AND it came back on Ebay but this time I GOT IT !

I'm cornering the market on anything Astronaut M2 !!!

Still showing nearly the same time...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only bought it for the very rare dial, Everything else is not correct for an M2, I've already sold the case and the movement and along with some other astronaut parts I made back the money I bought the watch for, So I got an incredibly rare Astronaut M2 dial for free!

I'm fairly sure the dial is flawless under that scratched up crystal...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Outstanding, it is always sweet to get your hands on a rare part. Will you be fitting it yourself?

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I do Accutron 214 work from basic service to full restores like this one...

And this one...

Or this one that started like this...

And after I was done with it...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beautiful work. I have a mark 2 Astronaut, but would love also to have the earlier model. I really don't know enough about them to make a wise purchase though - there is so much to learn. Not after anything rare, just one in good condition.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Beautiful work. I have a mark 2 Astronaut, but would love also to have the earlier model. I really don't know enough about them to make a wise purchase though - there is so much to learn. Not after anything rare, just one in good condition.
Well, you don't need to know much, Just run anything you're looking at by me and I'll advise you if you should pass or play. ;^)

But I should add only 214's because that is the limit of my particular knowledge...

EDIT - And that goes for any member here as well ! If members start asking my opinion on potential Accutron 214 buys I'll start checking back here a few times a day...

Reactions: calypso

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Ya, I do Accutron 214 work from basic service to full restores like this one...

And this one...

Or this one that started like this...

And after I was done with it...

Very impressive, I would love to have a go myself but I have fingers like Snickers bars. Hats off to you.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using a dial up modem.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Restoring the case is not easy because I do most of it by hand with little-flattened rolls of 1000 grit sandpaper as to keep from rounding off all the edges of all the different angles that make up the case, It's a very finger numbing procedure to say the least but that why I'd stack my case restores up against anyone else's case restores that are doing that work!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Restoring the case is not easy because I do most of it by hand with little-flattened rolls of 1000 grit sandpaper as to keep from rounding off all the edges of all the different angles that make up the case, It's a very finger numbing procedure to say the least but that why I'd stack my case restores up against anyone else's case restores that are doing that work!
i assume Your resent eBay find is one of the twins, You did an excellent job restoring it, those two look excellent. Great posting too, thank You for the spiels & blurbs.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i assume Your resent eBay find is one of the twins, You did an excellent job restoring it, those two look excellent. Great posting too, thank You for the spiels & blurbs.
No it's not, I just won it two days ago and have yet to receive it, It should arrive Monday...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YES, I got it today and it's in better shape than I'd hoped for!

For being close to 60 years old and seeing a ton of use I'd give it a 9.75 out of 10 !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took some better pictures in much better lighting!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I took some better pictures in much better lighting!

if You're guttin' it i wanna smell the mess, lots of picts please, documentation if You will. Thanx in advance.
i know it doesn't have all the moving parts but do what You can, the case alone interests me, the milling, the condition in and out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts