Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking could a company create a largely N. American made wrist watch and be able to offer it for a retail price of about $500?

If one were to source parts for the watch made in the US, Canada, and Mexico it seems to me this may be doable. The movement though would still have to be sourced elsewhere.

If this could be done do you think the watch market would even be interested?

·
Registered
233 Posts
personally I think there is a market for any watch that is eye appealing and considered a value for the price. take Deep Blue, Lum-Tec and Bathys Hawaii. Very nice watches for the money. I doubt most people who purchase one of these want to debate where it was made or where the parts came from. They think they are getting a top quality watch worth the money. That is the way it comes across to me when I read their post. And i own 10 from these manufactures so at least I can speak for myself. (i also own Seiko, Tag, Hamilton, Ball and a few others) P.S. What you describe should say Bulova, Hamilton or Ball on it. Not any more.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Detroit watches and Shinola ring a bell? Although even these companies in reality are is case makers, since their movements are Japanese or Swiss.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Detroit watches and Shinola ring a bell? Although even these companies in reality are is case makers, since their movements are Japanese or Swiss.
It was my understanding that neither of these companies produced their cases in house or even sourced them in North America.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Shinola, only in their minds and advertising are they American made.
Detroit Watch Co? They even say it in their site and I have to respect them for that.

Sketches and technical drawings are sent directly for manufacturing to our global resources in Switzerland, Germany or Hong Kong contingent upon the project. Upon receipt of the necessary components for our collection, the automatic movements are cased entirely by us and all components are installed and tested in Detroit, Michigan.

I can not except the premise that these are American watch companies. Especially with the great heritage of real American watch companies.
Maybe, someday the will.

·
Registered
915 Posts
It was my understanding that neither of these companies produced their cases in house or even sourced them in North America.
Thomas,

From what I've read, assembly only occurs in Detroit.

Scott

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
The watch has to be appealing. Of course it would be great if can be done for $500, I just don't know if the day would come.

In the knife world USA made holds a lot of clout. These days I don't know if it being made in USA is a huge deal but companies are trying like Weiss like Mark mentioned, Niall, Berkbinder and Brown and of course RGM. But they are all well over $500, especially RGM and Niall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I think there would be a great market for it. The unfortunate reality is it would be a very costly adventure to get it done. There would have to be a huge amount of capital initially to get all the machinery and raw materials to begin making movements here. As a result the watches would be outrageously expensive. Sales would struggle at first without solid name recognition. It the company was lucky, they'd have enough initial quality to build a reputation quickly. If they have the unfortunate experience of creating a movement with a high failure rate and lack a really strong customer service, and mechanical service department to manage this problem, they would quickly gain a bad reputation costing them hugely in sales. ...

I would love to see it. I think it would be an amazing thing. Even if I could not afford the watch, I'd love to see it happen.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think there would be a great market for it. The unfortunate reality is it would be a very costly adventure to get it done. There would have to be a huge amount of capital initially to get all the machinery and raw materials to begin making movements here. As a result the watches would be outrageously expensive. Sales would struggle at first without solid name recognition. It the company was lucky, they'd have enough initial quality to build a reputation quickly. If they have the unfortunate experience of creating a movement with a high failure rate and lack a really strong customer service, and mechanical service department to manage this problem, they would quickly gain a bad reputation costing them hugely in sales. ...

I would love to see it. I think it would be an amazing thing. Even if I could not afford the watch, I'd love to see it happen.
I agree with everything but the first line. I do no think there will be a great market for a North American made watch. Swiss Made is the gold standard and all the barriers to entry that you point out are basically trying to take on this gold standard.

From the bits and pieces researching watches, many US watch companies struggled even when watches were popular pre-quartz crisis.

Add to that that the $500 price point today offers many many strong products and I think anyone trying this will be in a world of hurt.

Only place US would/is dominating is in smart watches. However people on this forum disregard that subset all together.

As the saying goes "If you want to make a small fortune selling North American watches, start with a large fortune."

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I feel like the US needs a few successful brands in the higher end market before dipping their toes into the more affordable sub $500 range.

If a new watch company could create a popular, high-end, totally "Made in the U.S.A." watch that took off world-wide and was also able to contend with some of the best from the Swiss, that would give them the momentum needed to hit the lower end market. I feel like starting low, and moving upscale is doomed to failure in the long run (here in the U.S. that is).

I'd love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I agree with everything but the first line. I do no think there will be a great market for a North American made watch. Swiss Made is the gold standard and all the barriers to entry that you point out are basically trying to take on this gold standard.

From the bits and pieces researching watches, many US watch companies struggled even when watches were popular pre-quartz crisis.

Add to that that the $500 price point today offers many many strong products and I think anyone trying this will be in a world of hurt.

Only place US would/is dominating is in smart watches. However people on this forum disregard that subset all together.

As the saying goes "If you want to make a small fortune selling North American watches, start with a large fortune."
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Swiss is the gold standard and I'd argue that Japan is making great grounds if not better in some instances. I think a very dedicated leader here in the US dedicated to this end goal could achieve this. Many American's strive to buy American products. Come to Michigan, talk to tall the folks driving Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles. Many of them still buy them simply because they are American made (even when they are erroneously making that choice for a car made in Australia like the Pontiac G8 was). Even when they know that a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru will give them a better value for the money, last longer, and have a higher resale.

Don't get me wrong, that mountain is a high one to traverse! However, I do believe it is one that could traversed with the right leadership and capital.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
It could be done. Of course the movement might be a challenge. Maybe not. $500 might be stretching it though. But the question I would ask would be why? Right now, in the boutique market, there are so many players, everything is starting to look quite the same.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It could be done. Of course the movement might be a challenge. Maybe not. $500 might be stretching it though. But the question I would ask would be why? Right now, in the boutique market, there are so many players, everything is starting to look quite the same.
Good point. To add to the challenge would to be unique.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts