Watch Freeks banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing up a rent house after some tenants had been there for 5 years. I took off my Oris Diver Date and put on a cheaper Orient Pilot which I got from Long Island Watch last year for about 115 bucks.
I had to chop down a mimosa tree. About 20 feet tall and 8 inches think. I got it chopped down. I started cutting it up. I grabbed a sawzall (or reciprocating saw) and started to turn the long branches into sizes that the city will pick up. I would lay the long pieces over a saw horse with my left hand holding the branch on the left side of the saw horse and on the other side, the saw in my right. i was keeping in mind the left hand staying out of the way of the saw and that was it. After about 30 minutes of my left hand vibrating and shaking from the action of the saw, I realized I still had the Orient watch on. I did not mean to keep it on during the rough stuff.
So about an hour of chopping with the ax (Hulz Bruks Swedish army axe) and 30 minutes of pretty severe shaking and vibration, I finally took it off. It was still running. And it has not lost any time or stopped.
I dont know what I did to the longevity of the movement but hats off Orient for making a tough cheap watch

· Registered
336 Posts
Good information, thanks for the post OP. I have an Orient Ray and was wondering about Orient durability as well. At the Ray's price point and level of water resistance, durability really rounds it out nicely. Lots of value and versatility.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I had a couple and they just feel cheap to me. but for the money, I guess they're ok.
I wanted to like them, but it just didn't happen.
I wouldn't mind trying their Star series someday.

· Registered
336 Posts
I think it depends a lot on expectations. I much prefer my Swiss watches over my Orient Ray in terms of overall quality. On the other hand, it makes a great pool/beach/vacation watch. Good water resistance, relatively inexpensive, and you can dress it up or down as needed. Mine keeps pretty good time too. Not my overall favorite watch but quite versatile and lots of value for the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.