1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Wow great article. Thanks for that. Enjoyed it very much on my balcony in the sun with a beer.

So if I get this straight, in the coming years we are only going to see ETA movements in Swatch Group companies? Boutique brands will not be having ETA movements? I agree, it'll improve the watch industry and encourage companies to make own movements. But on the other hand I dislike that Swatch Group has done that. ETA are a decent movement and reputable. By only supplying Swatch Group it limits the buyer in a way. Personally I like the ETA movement in micro brands and is always a selling feature to me.

·
Super Moderator
4,815 Posts
Thanks for that.
Prior to reading this, I for one, was under the distinct impression that the Japs were single-handedly responsible for flooding the market with quartz movements.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,890 Posts
My favorite part of that article is this,

Hayek saw two advantages to the weaning process. One was to take back a competitive advantage. The other was to force non-Swatch Group brands to make their own movements, and thereby improve the watchmaking industry.
If you believe that Hayek wanted to force other non-SWATCH brands to make their own movements to improve the watchmaking industry, you must also
believe in the Tooth Fairy!

Swatch cutting off ETA movements to the competition has but one goal, choke the competition to death, pure and simple!

·
Long Time Member
1,971 Posts
Thanks AT. Interesting read. Let's not forget, Hayek Jr. is under pressure from the Swiss government & some legislation to "wean" other watch companies off ETA.
I truly hope this will inspire companies to manufacture their own movements but I think other current movement companies will fill the void. I see this as a negative.

·
3,979 Posts
Chazman
As usual, you cut right to the chase.
I admire'd Eta. Have had a few Eta engines in my watches.
Specifically the Eta G10 211. (Yeah I know it's quartz but
man doesn't live on automatic alone)
When I get the itch for something Eta ish, I'll buy the
Sellita 200. With an extra jewel (like that means anything).

X traindriver Art

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
good stuff. thanks for posting.

One thing I thought was interesting was the following. kindof like the saying "lock, stock and barrel" all those components on a gun were also made in different locations by different people who specialized in those parts. I guess its similar to what we have today with auto manufacturers not making many of the parts they use on the automobiles they sell.

All through the 1800s, watchmaking was literally a cottage industry. One cottage made wheels, another made levers, yet another made balance wheels, etc. It was the goal of “comptoirs” like Omega, Longines, and Tissot, who assembled parts procured from individual makers, to produce completed watches for distribution.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My favorite part of that article is this,

If you believe that Hayek wanted to force other non-SWATCH brands to make their own movements to improve the watchmaking industry, you must also
believe in the Tooth Fairy!

Swatch cutting off ETA movements to the competition has but one goal, choke the competition to death, pure and simple!
Yup. That upset me too. Sure it promotes others to build their own movement. Also limits the buyer to good movements though. Make take a company years to produce a good movement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts