Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own 9 'homages'. The manufacturers either gave their homage a new twist or followed the original as close as possible. This is the start of a quiz in which I will post one of my watches with the markings on the dial removed (otherwise it would be a piece of cake). This is the first one. The case was used by several manufactures back in the day but I'm looking for one specific manufacturer. Hint: there was once a car with the same model name.

Super Moderator
Wow, I thought I knew what it might be Frans. But the car twist through me
for a loop, and I don't want to cheat, and look. So I am officially failing so far. 馃槃
What a neat topic, or idea for a topic ! (y)(y) Can imagine someone here,
or actually quite a few of the guys actually knows the right answer sir. 馃檪
I will stay tuned !

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
We have a winner! It's the Breil Manta 100 Bar.

The original (picture borrowed from the 'Net):

And the Opel Manta:

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The second one. Hint: 001GG. On a search it brings up so many results it's worthless but you never know.

Registered
I own 9 'homages'. The manufacturers either gave their homage a new twist or followed the original as close as possible. This is the start of a quiz in which I will post one of my watches with the markings on the dial removed (otherwise it would be a piece of cake). This is the first one. The case was used by several manufactures back in the day but I'm looking for one specific manufacturer. Hint: there was once a car with the same model name.

Is it an Austin Allegro ?

Registered
I'll keep playing and try my luck.

Not sure about the 001GG hint but would that one be based on the early Pulsar LED? I know Bond wore one and the Pulsar was also a car by Datsun

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I'll keep playing and try my luck.

Not sure about the 001GG hint but would that one be based on the early Pulsar LED? I know Bond wore one and the Pulsar was also a car by Datsun
The letters refer to the manufacturer. No cars this time :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Got me there with that one.

G. Gerlach?
Yes sir! From now on it's a jiffy :) I was surprised this watch is indeed an homage, I didn't know this until a few weeks ago. Another watch I never wear but still a keeper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
It's a two man show, this quiz :). But undeterred I will post the next one tomorrow!

Super Moderator
This is so much fun Frans, and I see I would have gotten the second
watch wrong as well ! 馃槀 Had thought that the CH8 was based on a
Squale, and the second off of a Timex. So that's 0 for 2 on this end.
Am going to see if I can get at least one right during this.

Not too confident though sir.馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
The above watch is a G. Gerlach Kosmonauta which is based on the late 70s Polish Unitra Warel:

Super Moderator
The above watch is a G. Gerlach Kosmonauta which is based on the late 70s Polish Unitra Warel:

Don鈥檛 think have ever seen this vintage beauty Frans !

Whoa G. Gerlach looks like they did a wonderful job all
the way around too, and got every detail down perfectly.

Can鈥檛 get enough of the futuristic case, and how it almost
transforms right into that tapering bracelet. Hey, and it even
looks to have a display which appears, and then disappears ! 馃槂馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The third one, a typical 70s 'TV' style chronograph. The regulars know the brand. But which watch is this based on?

Registered
Yours is the Straton Speciale.

It pulls in a lot from both the Heuer Monaco and the TV shaped Omega Speedmaster - I'll go with the Speedy?

(borrowed photo)

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
It was a trick question, the watch isn't based on an existing watch. It's their own design :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts