Watch Freeks banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year or so, some lesser known (at least to me) Chinese micro brand watch producers started to offer homages of vintage watches originally produced by Rolex, Breitling, Doxa and Zenith. All with their own take on the originals but tastefully interpreted. And, in the case of my Sugess S419, very well made, especially for the asking price.

Sugess and Seastern are the same factory and I suspect many of the other 'brands' all stem from the same plant. Not that it matters. I used to purchase watches from the more established micro bands lake Helberg but that comes with a price. Now I have shifted my attention to aforementioned micro brands. Most are below US$200 and with free shipping are very affordable. They come with Seiko, Miyota or Seagull movements that are proven and reliable, albeit not too accurate, workhorses.

Now I wait for homages of both the Breitling 50 Fathoms Milspec One (with no-rad dial) and the Sub Milspec One. Oh boy!

What is your take one this or don't you give a hoot about these watches?

·
3,318 Posts
If I wanted a nice homage of any of those classics, I'd try one, yes. I know from the small sample set I've experienced that they do not disappoint in execution. Sure there's a cutoff, a level of pricing that results in corners being cut. I tried a sterile dial 6105-8110 that was definitely lacking in overall execution. But it was about 90 USD so... you know. Spending twice that got me more than twice the execution and I think my Retangula 6105 challenges the real deal, which it will never be, but, it's undeniably a quality piece.

I don't have any experience with homages to high-end luxury brands to be honest. I'm open minded to them though.

·
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks! Around US$110 or so the movements are quartz, to save some money I have noticed. (I will skip the watch snob no quartz discussion here :D). There is a very nice D12 (dirty dozen) homage floating around now that I like very much as well. And to bring up that often mentioned subject by me again: how the frack are they able to make those watches for those prices? Boxed sapphire crystals, quality stainless steel and Seiko movements have become staple, even below US$200.

·
3,318 Posts
Thanks! Around US$110 or so the movements are quartz, to save some money I have noticed. (I will skip the watch snob no quartz discussion here :D). There is a very nice W12 (dirty dozen) homage floating around now that I like very much as well. And to bring up that often mentioned subject by me again: how the frack are they able to make those watches for those prices? Boxed sapphire crystals, quality stainless steel and Seiko movements have become staple, even below US$200.
And it's been brought up before but there was a time when these astronomically priced brands were quite affordable. I know when adjusting for inflation, a 6105-8000 like mine should cost about $450 but it's nearly three times that now for the "reissues".

·
Super Moderator
18,323 Posts
Yup, my take is that it’s definitely a very smart turn you’ve taken
Frans. (y) As Eric was saying here just above so many of those
established micro brands used to be a lot more reasonable. But
with each passing year many micro brands have inched closer to
the major brands. 😦🙁 So it’s natural for you, as well as so many
others to move toward these much more wallet friendly brands.

They are doing what a lot of micro brands did a while ago, today.
Which is make great looking watches for great, or at least very good
prices. 😉 It’s a common sense move sir, and honestly, I think you
will be seeing more and more homages from the Seastern/Sugess’
of the world. Along with maybe a few new original designs over time.

Let’s just hope they don’t begin raising prices too. 😄

This was such a neat topic sir. ..I want to thank you for coming up
with it !!!

·
6,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I can see the appeal in these watches, but they don't so a thing for me. I prefer the real deal,
That I do understand. The Sugess I recently purchased is however 1/36th of the price it pays homage to. And I can’t afford that.

Reactions: Roarry
1 - 10 of 10 Posts