Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My prayers have been answered. I always loved the look of the Black Bay, but knew a red bezeled watch just wasn't going to work for me. Then the blue came out, but still wasn't my cup of tea. Tudor just announced a "Black" version coming out next year that is right up my alley. I may have to start saving my pennies.

Via: http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...troducing-the-tudor-heritage-black-bay-black/

To many watch aficionados, Tudor emerged from the considerable shadow of its big brother Rolex in 2013, when its vintage-inspired divers’ watch, the Tudor Heritage Black Bay, won the “Revival” prize at the prestigious Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève. That model, with its black dial and burgundy bezel, begat another version in 2014, with a bezel in dark blue (nicknamed by fans “Midnight Blue”). Now the brand has announced a third variation, in which both the dial and bezel are black.

The Tudor Heritage Black Bay “Black” takes its design cues from the unique piece that the brand created for the 2015 Only Watch auction, which in turn was influenced (like all the Black Bay models, but this one by far the most heavily) by a historical Tudor watch beloved by collectors, the Tudor Submariner, Ref. 7922. Launched in 1954, this model was the Tudor brand’s first dedicated divers’ watch and was distinguished by its dome-shaped dial and domed crystal, two elements revived in the new Black Bay. A slightly later reference of the Tudor Submariner (Ref. 7924), launched in 1958 and nicknamed “Big Crown” by collectors, also provides historical inspiration, specifically for the large, screw-down winding crown, which is engraved with the Tudor rose emblem and outfitted with an anodized aluminum crown tube. The red triangle at 12 o’clock on the black, unidirectional bezel is an element common to vintage Tudor dive watches of the late 1950s. Finally, the Heritage Black Bay’s angular “snowflake” hour and minute hands trace their origins to Tudor Submariner models sold from 1969 to the early 1980s.

Despite the numerous nods to the model’s forebears, the Tudor Heritage Black Bay “Black” is by any standard a contemporary watch, with its 41-mm-diameter steel case with satin-brushed and polished finishing, water-resistant to 200 meters, and its self-winding movement, Tudor Caliber 2824 (based on the tried-and-true ETA 2824) carries a power reserve of 38 hours. And despite its unquestionable sporty appeal, the watch offers a touch of luxury as well, with its rose-gold hands and hour markers.

The Tudor Heritage Black Bay “Black” will be available at retail on July 15. Prices are $3,425 on a steel bracelet and $3,100 on a distressed “aged” black lather strap, both with folding safety clasps. Each watch also comes with an additional black fabric strap with a buckle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not feeling the rose gold. Otherwise it's a looker!

·
11,658 Posts
Oh Yeah I'm gonna have to have this one. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,113 Posts
Gorgeous, just gorgeous. And with exactly the kind of vintage qualities I love so much. Tudor is (outside the WIS community) a relatively unknown brand over here so extra points. I could niggle about the price but I have spent much more money on all my current watches and other goodies that this becomes moot. But the notion of spending that amount in one go makes me back off. I'd have to sell a couple of watches first and I don't want to do that.

Anyhoo, looking at watches like this Tudor only strengthens my desire to one day purchase a vintage Sub. On a riveted bracelet. NOS. Pristine. For that, I would have to sell my car :D

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow - what a beautiful piece!
Like all aspects of the watch. Usually don't like any gold on a watch - but this nice!
Like how "Self Winding" is printed in a concave manner; gives it a true vintage look.
It is quickly rising to first place on my wish list!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Love my red bezel one. This looks really nice too and I may have to add it as well.. I know a lot of Geeks prefer date window but I think the no date look just makes it cleaner and nicer. Not just the Tudor but most of the watches I see.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep I'm loving the black, but the blue is still the standout for me, would live to see the blue with the vintage print and hands though!

·
Super Moderator
12,921 Posts
Ridiculously nice Garrick !!! :clapping-hands-abov I know a lot of people have been waiting for this variation, and now it's here ! :eek: :) Tudor hits another home run it looks like sir. Going to be insane when we start seeing these ! Pure perfection ! :smileyface_hand_claThanks so much for the news about it !

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Aware but the OP's post stated it was coming out next year. Just wanted to point it out in case anyone had the urge.
:D
Ah.

There are a few already out on the forums and they are coming into stock at the AD's now too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts